smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

Okay, I've played each map in the multiplayer demo about twice now on
a server with about a 10v10 group. Enough to see, in my opinion, how
the game's team-dynamic plays out.

This game is lightyears behind Starsiege: Tribes and Tribes 2 in terms
of: Team Dynamics, Weapons Balance, Strategic Depth, Vehicular
Sensibility. You can see how the efforts to make the game "more
accessible" has really dumbed it down and hurt it, again, in my
opinion.

Allow me to break down that assessment. Many of the problems I found
with the game cross into the realm of other problems.

Team Dynamic
At no time during this demo did I feel like I was on a team. The few
times I tried to coordinate with someone, it was like I didn't exist
to the other person. Even on some of the most disorganized pickup
games on pubs in S:T and T2 you can usually find someone to click
with. Maybe it's just due to it being a demo and you have rank noobs
testing the game out.

Weapons Balance
Aside from the chaingun being utter shite, the other weapons feel dull
and without punch. The spinfuser feels about the same as it had in
previous games. The buckler was pretty cool to see in action. The
rocket pod is another weapon that looks cool, but delivers far, far
less damage than one would expect against an unshielded target.
I hate how the heavy isn't really that advantageous over other armors.
Really, the armor set you're wearing seems to be of minimal
consequence. Maybe a few more hit points tacked on is all. In the
previous Tribes games there was a definite advantage in terms of ammo
count and number of heavy weapons carried. The heavy armor was a
mobile weapons platform.

Strategic Depth
The repair pack. What can I say about it? It's a boon and a bane all
wrapped up in a hip-worn, green-glowing bundle of wrongness.

At first I thought, hey man! This is cool! I can fix 10 things all at
once. Then after a few maps, I realized that this idea is yet another
subtle nail in the coffin of teamwork and game balance.

For the important repairs like inventory stations and generators, the
pack seems woefully slow to repair, and then has a frustrating habit
of running out of steam and you stand around waiting for the thing to
fully recharge before being able to repair further. A smashed
inventory or gen requires more than one dose of a fully charged pack
to fully repair. And if there's an advantage to two or more guys
spewing streams of green rectangles around, I wasn't able to see it.
Whereas in S:T and T2 the more guys you have focused on a repair the
faster it goes x the number of lads ghostbusting the broken item.

Part of the strategic balance of previous Tribes iterations was the
power and purpose of the backpacks, as well as their relationship to
the weapons and armor. Those lines are totally blurred in T:V. A
sniper doesn't *need* an energy pack. It's merely helpful if he has
one. And since, say, a repair pack isn't tied into your armors energy
reserves, you could be sniping on a roof and repairing a sensor at the
same time.

The fact that you can see all of your armor and weapons items largely
and graphically displayed on one screen in the inventory station is
testament to the "accessability" they've factored into the game.

Vehicular Sensibility
They say you can use the FAV dune buggy thing as a new spawn point.
But I found that once the vehicle is left un attended it disappears!
And not like a Shrike that fades away after you, the spawner, dies. It
disappears if left alone for too long. How the hell can it be used as
a spawn-point if it doesn't stay where you parked it. I guess you're
supposed to sit in the thing for the duration of the game. Imagine if
the Jerrico MPB faded away if unattended for 45 seconds. :)

In S:T one strategy was to grab enemy vehicles left on a swoop-n-run
grab attempt and fly them out of bounds, hidden in some valley. Since
you can only have a determinate amount spawned at any given time, this
would seriously cramp the enemy's mobility and air fire power. The
valley behind the base in Scarabrae would sometimes look like a
parking lot by the end of the map!

Anyway, I'll still buy the thing. It's not a bad game. It's just
bronze instead of gold. And the single player demo was actually fun
and enjoyable. And, after all, this was the first "Tribes" game with
emphasis on the single player experience.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Okay, I've played each map in the multiplayer demo about twice now on
> a server with about a 10v10 group. Enough to see, in my opinion, how
> the game's team-dynamic plays out.

<snip>

Yep, you have it about right, though "team play" picks up considerably on
certain servers in the retail version. But hopefully some of the mods being
made will address these other issues to a point that play becomes a more
enjoyable and deeper experience. Also, and I bring this up a lot, the third
party maps that are being made do a lot towards getting the tribes feel
back.

Quixote

In article <9bs1019fhu3ptkggnmc9c5kcrd46kashiu@4ax.com>,
tribesfan@hotmail.com says...
> This game is lightyears behind Starsiege: Tribes and Tribes 2 in terms
> of: Team Dynamics, Weapons Balance, Strategic Depth, Vehicular
> Sensibility. You can see how the efforts to make the game "more
> accessible" has really dumbed it down and hurt it, again, in my
> opinion.

I listed my most obvious reasons against Tribes 3.

http://tinyurl.com/4xnbf

I want to believe that Tribes 3 is in fact the "serie pilot". The thingy
to check if the audience is ready for a new show.
--
[RS]Faramir_agst --- www.fabriceroux.com
Tribes and Paint Shop Pro scripts

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 20:31:26 +0100, RS Faramir_agst wrote:

> I listed my most obvious reasons against Tribes 3.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4xnbf
>
> I want to believe that Tribes 3 is in fact the "serie pilot". The thingy
> to check if the audience is ready for a new show.

Who are you?

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1½

"[RS]Faramir_agst" <envoyezdesspams@free.fr> wrote in message
> In article <9bs1019fhu3ptkggnmc9c5kcrd46kashiu@4ax.com>,
> tribesfan@hotmail.com says...
>> This game is lightyears behind Starsiege: Tribes and Tribes 2 in terms
>> of: Team Dynamics, Weapons Balance, Strategic Depth, Vehicular
>> Sensibility. You can see how the efforts to make the game "more
>> accessible" has really dumbed it down and hurt it, again, in my
>> opinion.
>
> I listed my most obvious reasons against Tribes 3.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4xnbf
>
> I want to believe that Tribes 3 is in fact the "serie pilot". The thingy
> to check if the audience is ready for a new show.

Talk about him and he shows up out of thin air. What's up frenchie?

Quixote

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:40:00 +0000, Mr K wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 20:31:26 +0100, RS Faramir_agst wrote:
>
>> I listed my most obvious reasons against Tribes 3.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/4xnbf
>>
>> I want to believe that Tribes 3 is in fact the "serie pilot". The thingy
>> to check if the audience is ready for a new show.
>
> Who are you?

Btw... nice panoramic photo.

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1½

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 20:31:26 +0100, [RS]Faramir_agst
<envoyezdesspams@free.fr> wrote:

>In article <9bs1019fhu3ptkggnmc9c5kcrd46kashiu@4ax.com>,
>tribesfan@hotmail.com says...
>> This game is lightyears behind Starsiege: Tribes and Tribes 2 in terms
>> of: Team Dynamics, Weapons Balance, Strategic Depth, Vehicular
>> Sensibility. You can see how the efforts to make the game "more
>> accessible" has really dumbed it down and hurt it, again, in my
>> opinion.
>
>I listed my most obvious reasons against Tribes 3.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/4xnbf
>
>I want to believe that Tribes 3 is in fact the "serie pilot". The thingy
>to check if the audience is ready for a new show.

You nailed it right between the eyes, Faramir. VGCS.

Everything you pointed out is why this game is lightyears behind even
Starsiege: Tribes.

I fear that it may be wishful thinking to hope that this is merely
stupid-player bate to generate interest in the franchise.

If there is another iteration, I hope that they remember what made S:T
and T2 great. It wasn't the graphics, which were both good for their
time. It was the incredible flexibility within the game. The strategy
and strike / counterstrike and creativity of team maneuvers and
tactics.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

In article <1102g4c48ld8a5e@corp.supernews.com>, quixote@writeme.com
says...
> > I want to believe that Tribes 3 is in fact the "serie pilot". The thingy
> > to check if the audience is ready for a new show.
>
> Talk about him and he shows up out of thin air. What's up frenchie?

Doing great. I spend more time with my pen tablet and paint shop pro
than Tribes 1 & 2.

ps: but I just reinstalled Tribes 1 on my machines. After dumping T3
demo for good.

> In article <1102g4c48ld8a5e@corp.supernews.com>, quixote@writeme.com
> says...
>> > I want to believe that Tribes 3 is in fact the "serie pilot". The
>> > thingy
>> > to check if the audience is ready for a new show.
>>
>> Talk about him and he shows up out of thin air. What's up frenchie?
>
> Doing great. I spend more time with my pen tablet and paint shop pro
> than Tribes 1 & 2.
>
> ps: but I just reinstalled Tribes 1 on my machines. After dumping T3
> demo for good.

Hey, I fired up T1 the other night too. It was great fun, and I could still
snipe good enough to make someone mad at me. :^) Good to hear from you
again and glad you are doing alright. Seems the highlight of AGST these
days is seeing an old face. BTW, my wife is a PSP junkie too.

Quixote

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:44:57 -0600, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
wrote:

>"[RS]Faramir_agst" <envoyezdesspams@free.fr> wrote in message
>> In article <1102g4c48ld8a5e@corp.supernews.com>, quixote@writeme.com
>> says...
>>>
>>> Talk about him and he shows up out of thin air. What's up frenchie?
>>
>> Doing great. I spend more time with my pen tablet and paint shop pro
>> than Tribes 1 & 2.
>>
>> ps: but I just reinstalled Tribes 1 on my machines. After dumping T3
>> demo for good.
>
>Hey, I fired up T1 the other night too. It was great fun, and I could still
>snipe good enough to make someone mad at me. :^) Good to hear from you
>again and glad you are doing alright. Seems the highlight of AGST these
>days is seeing an old face. BTW, my wife is a PSP junkie too.
>
>Quixote

I spent a whole afternoon just configuring the 3 simple scripts I use.
I'm NOT a scriping kind of person. Too much trouble.

T1 is great. I had forgotten how familiar the sounds were. Everything
from the loud Dynamix intro to the whirling low whistle of an idle
spinfuser.

Oh, and that's another bitch I have about the T:V game. The weapons,
particularly the chain gun, have the weakest, tinny sounds.

The one sound I did like, though, was the mechanized stomp and whir of
the heavy armor.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

In article <ctraak$ruc$1@inews.gazeta.pl>, duffstuff@hotmail.com says...
> Who are you?

You bloody british bastard??? you forgot aboot me.

http://tinyurl.com/5t8te

--

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 23:35:26 +0100, RS Faramir_agst wrote:

> You bloody british bastard???

Yessir?

> you forgot aboot me.

As much as you might wish this true... nope:
http://tinyurl.com/5psyq

> http://tinyurl.com/5t8te

Rest assured... that's none of my doing.

--

[RS]Faramir_agst wrote:

> Doing great. I spend more time with my pen tablet and paint shop pro
> than Tribes 1 & 2.

You draw/paint? Show it.

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 03:16:59 +0100, Frank van Schie
<frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote:

>[RS]Faramir_agst wrote:
>>
>> Doing great. I spend more time with my pen tablet and paint shop pro
>> than Tribes 1 & 2.
>
>You draw/paint? Show it.

Same thought I had. I play with photoshop. I had posted a link here to
my daughter's Armor Washing service on Begger's Run. :)

I'd be interested in seeing the art from anyone in this newsgroup.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

In article <h64301lsu6euchv9djm2drahri7i0jmho9@4ax.com>,
tribesfan@hotmail.com says...
> T1 is great. I had forgotten how familiar the sounds were. Everything
> from the loud Dynamix intro to the whirling low whistle of an idle
> spinfuser.

The Dynamix intro sound almost gave me a hard on... :)

It was so good to hear the great A3D 1.0 implementation on the Doppler
effect. (sound pitch variation with speed)

I'm more an idle mortar kind of person... GREAT defense memory flash
backs. :)

--

In article <K_GdnRfdxbAeFJzfRVnytg@casema.nl>, frankNOSPAM@email.it

http://www.pbase.com/fabriceroux/image/34876948

--
[RS]Faramir_agst --- www.fabriceroux.com
Tribes and Paint Shop Pro scripts

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 21:30:37 +0100, [RS]Faramir_agst
<envoyezdesspams@free.fr> wrote:

>In article <K_GdnRfdxbAeFJzfRVnytg@casema.nl>, frankNOSPAM@email.it
>says...
>> > Doing great. I spend more time with my pen tablet and paint shop pro
>> > than Tribes 1 & 2.
>>
>> You draw/paint? Show it.
>
>http://www.pbase.com/fabriceroux/image/34876948

Nice work! Beautiful part of the country. What kind of camera did you
take those with? I know you probably stated it here before, but I'm
too lazy to rifle through google when I can just simply ask. :)

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:22:27 -0600, "Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 21:30:37 +0100, [RS]Faramir_agst
><envoyezdesspams@free.fr> wrote:
>
>>In article <K_GdnRfdxbAeFJzfRVnytg@casema.nl>, frankNOSPAM@email.it
>>says...
>>>
>>> You draw/paint? Show it.
>>
>>http://www.pbase.com/fabriceroux/image/34876948
>
>Nice work! Beautiful part of the country. What kind of camera did you
>take those with? I know you probably stated it here before, but I'm
>too lazy to rifle through google when I can just simply ask. :)

Never mind, I noticed it on the Edinburgh castle pic.

Canon EOS 300D Digital Rebel.

Duh.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

[RS]Faramir_agst wrote:
> In article <K_GdnRfdxbAeFJzfRVnytg@casema.nl>, frankNOSPAM@email.it
> says...
>
>>>Doing great. I spend more time with my pen tablet and paint shop pro
>>>than Tribes 1 & 2.
>>
>>You draw/paint? Show it.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/fabriceroux/image/34876948

Goddamn. Nice.

Is that a paintover (over a photograph)? Even if so, damn nice.

Frank van Schie wrote:

> [RS]Faramir_agst wrote:
>
>> In article <K_GdnRfdxbAeFJzfRVnytg@casema.nl>, frankNOSPAM@email.it
>> says...

>>> You draw/paint? Show it.
>>

>> http://www.pbase.com/fabriceroux/image/34876948
>

> Goddamn. Nice.
>
> Is that a paintover (over a photograph)? Even if so, damn nice.

Or, worse, is it a filter? :)

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:43:11 +0100, Frank van Schie wrote:

> Or, worse, is it a filter? :)

The effect is too uneven for a filter.

--

In article <Cq2dnXwgPMVfEZ_fRVnyjw@casema.nl>, frankNOSPAM@email.it says...
> > Is that a paintover (over a photograph)? Even if so, damn nice.
>
> Or, worse, is it a filter? :)

Correct... :) It's Virtual Painter :)

The original photograph is somewhere on my Marseille PBase album.

--
[RS]Faramir_agst --- www.fabriceroux.com
Tribes and Paint Shop Pro scripts

In article <MPG.1c6cabe4e3d85b08989685@news.free.fr>, envoyezdesspams@free.fr
says...
> In article <Cq2dnXwgPMVfEZ_fRVnyjw@casema.nl>, frankNOSPAM@email.it says...
> > > Is that a paintover (over a photograph)? Even if so, damn nice.
> >
> > Or, worse, is it a filter? :)
>
> Correct... :) It's Virtual Painter :)

Examples of Virtual Painter:
http://www.pbase.com/fabriceroux/paintings

--

In article <ctu2pq$9j2$1@inews.gazeta.pl>, duffstuff@hotmail.com says...
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:43:11 +0100, Frank van Schie wrote:
>
> > Or, worse, is it a filter? :)
>
> The effect is too uneven for a filter.

It's a filter available in Virtual Painter:
http://www.jasc.com/products/vpainter/?
http://www.vpainter.com/

--

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 21:54:14 +0100, RS Faramir_agst wrote:

> It's a filter available in Virtual Painter:
> http://www.jasc.com/products/vpainter/?
> http://www.vpainter.com/

Fair enough. :)