Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

T:V Multiplayer Demo

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 2, 2005 1:42:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

Okay, I've played each map in the multiplayer demo about twice now on
a server with about a 10v10 group. Enough to see, in my opinion, how
the game's team-dynamic plays out.

This game is lightyears behind Starsiege: Tribes and Tribes 2 in terms
of: Team Dynamics, Weapons Balance, Strategic Depth, Vehicular
Sensibility. You can see how the efforts to make the game "more
accessible" has really dumbed it down and hurt it, again, in my
opinion.

Allow me to break down that assessment. Many of the problems I found
with the game cross into the realm of other problems.

Team Dynamic
At no time during this demo did I feel like I was on a team. The few
times I tried to coordinate with someone, it was like I didn't exist
to the other person. Even on some of the most disorganized pickup
games on pubs in S:T and T2 you can usually find someone to click
with. Maybe it's just due to it being a demo and you have rank noobs
testing the game out.

Weapons Balance
Aside from the chaingun being utter shite, the other weapons feel dull
and without punch. The spinfuser feels about the same as it had in
previous games. The buckler was pretty cool to see in action. The
rocket pod is another weapon that looks cool, but delivers far, far
less damage than one would expect against an unshielded target.
I hate how the heavy isn't really that advantageous over other armors.
Really, the armor set you're wearing seems to be of minimal
consequence. Maybe a few more hit points tacked on is all. In the
previous Tribes games there was a definite advantage in terms of ammo
count and number of heavy weapons carried. The heavy armor was a
mobile weapons platform.

Strategic Depth
The repair pack. What can I say about it? It's a boon and a bane all
wrapped up in a hip-worn, green-glowing bundle of wrongness.

At first I thought, hey man! This is cool! I can fix 10 things all at
once. Then after a few maps, I realized that this idea is yet another
subtle nail in the coffin of teamwork and game balance.

For the important repairs like inventory stations and generators, the
pack seems woefully slow to repair, and then has a frustrating habit
of running out of steam and you stand around waiting for the thing to
fully recharge before being able to repair further. A smashed
inventory or gen requires more than one dose of a fully charged pack
to fully repair. And if there's an advantage to two or more guys
spewing streams of green rectangles around, I wasn't able to see it.
Whereas in S:T and T2 the more guys you have focused on a repair the
faster it goes x the number of lads ghostbusting the broken item.

Part of the strategic balance of previous Tribes iterations was the
power and purpose of the backpacks, as well as their relationship to
the weapons and armor. Those lines are totally blurred in T:V. A
sniper doesn't *need* an energy pack. It's merely helpful if he has
one. And since, say, a repair pack isn't tied into your armors energy
reserves, you could be sniping on a roof and repairing a sensor at the
same time.

The fact that you can see all of your armor and weapons items largely
and graphically displayed on one screen in the inventory station is
testament to the "accessability" they've factored into the game.

Vehicular Sensibility
They say you can use the FAV dune buggy thing as a new spawn point.
But I found that once the vehicle is left un attended it disappears!
And not like a Shrike that fades away after you, the spawner, dies. It
disappears if left alone for too long. How the hell can it be used as
a spawn-point if it doesn't stay where you parked it. I guess you're
supposed to sit in the thing for the duration of the game. Imagine if
the Jerrico MPB faded away if unattended for 45 seconds. :) 

In S:T one strategy was to grab enemy vehicles left on a swoop-n-run
grab attempt and fly them out of bounds, hidden in some valley. Since
you can only have a determinate amount spawned at any given time, this
would seriously cramp the enemy's mobility and air fire power. The
valley behind the base in Scarabrae would sometimes look like a
parking lot by the end of the map!

Anyway, I'll still buy the thing. It's not a bad game. It's just
bronze instead of gold. And the single player demo was actually fun
and enjoyable. And, after all, this was the first "Tribes" game with
emphasis on the single player experience.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

More about : multiplayer demo

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 6:24:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:9bs1019fhu3ptkggnmc9c5kcrd46kashiu@4ax.com...
> Okay, I've played each map in the multiplayer demo about twice now on
> a server with about a 10v10 group. Enough to see, in my opinion, how
> the game's team-dynamic plays out.
>
<snip>

Yep, you have it about right, though "team play" picks up considerably on
certain servers in the retail version. But hopefully some of the mods being
made will address these other issues to a point that play becomes a more
enjoyable and deeper experience. Also, and I bring this up a lot, the third
party maps that are being made do a lot towards getting the tribes feel
back.

Quixote
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:31:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

In article <9bs1019fhu3ptkggnmc9c5kcrd46kashiu@4ax.com>,
tribesfan@hotmail.com says...
> This game is lightyears behind Starsiege: Tribes and Tribes 2 in terms
> of: Team Dynamics, Weapons Balance, Strategic Depth, Vehicular
> Sensibility. You can see how the efforts to make the game "more
> accessible" has really dumbed it down and hurt it, again, in my
> opinion.

I listed my most obvious reasons against Tribes 3.

http://tinyurl.com/4xnbf

I want to believe that Tribes 3 is in fact the "serie pilot". The thingy
to check if the audience is ready for a new show.
--
[RS]Faramir_agst --- www.fabriceroux.com
Tribes and Paint Shop Pro scripts
Related resources
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:31:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 20:31:26 +0100, RS Faramir_agst wrote:

> I listed my most obvious reasons against Tribes 3.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4xnbf
>
> I want to believe that Tribes 3 is in fact the "serie pilot". The thingy
> to check if the audience is ready for a new show.

Who are you?

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1½
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:31:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

"[RS]Faramir_agst" <envoyezdesspams@free.fr> wrote in message
news:MPG.1c6b44c9d2535f7a989680@news.free.fr...
> In article <9bs1019fhu3ptkggnmc9c5kcrd46kashiu@4ax.com>,
> tribesfan@hotmail.com says...
>> This game is lightyears behind Starsiege: Tribes and Tribes 2 in terms
>> of: Team Dynamics, Weapons Balance, Strategic Depth, Vehicular
>> Sensibility. You can see how the efforts to make the game "more
>> accessible" has really dumbed it down and hurt it, again, in my
>> opinion.
>
> I listed my most obvious reasons against Tribes 3.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4xnbf
>
> I want to believe that Tribes 3 is in fact the "serie pilot". The thingy
> to check if the audience is ready for a new show.

Talk about him and he shows up out of thin air. What's up frenchie?

Quixote
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:31:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:40:00 +0000, Mr K wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 20:31:26 +0100, RS Faramir_agst wrote:
>
>> I listed my most obvious reasons against Tribes 3.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/4xnbf
>>
>> I want to believe that Tribes 3 is in fact the "serie pilot". The thingy
>> to check if the audience is ready for a new show.
>
> Who are you?

Btw... nice panoramic photo.

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1½
February 2, 2005 11:37:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 20:31:26 +0100, [RS]Faramir_agst
<envoyezdesspams@free.fr> wrote:

>In article <9bs1019fhu3ptkggnmc9c5kcrd46kashiu@4ax.com>,
>tribesfan@hotmail.com says...
>> This game is lightyears behind Starsiege: Tribes and Tribes 2 in terms
>> of: Team Dynamics, Weapons Balance, Strategic Depth, Vehicular
>> Sensibility. You can see how the efforts to make the game "more
>> accessible" has really dumbed it down and hurt it, again, in my
>> opinion.
>
>I listed my most obvious reasons against Tribes 3.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/4xnbf
>
>I want to believe that Tribes 3 is in fact the "serie pilot". The thingy
>to check if the audience is ready for a new show.

You nailed it right between the eyes, Faramir. VGCS.

Everything you pointed out is why this game is lightyears behind even
Starsiege: Tribes.

I fear that it may be wishful thinking to hope that this is merely
stupid-player bate to generate interest in the franchise.

If there is another iteration, I hope that they remember what made S:T
and T2 great. It wasn't the graphics, which were both good for their
time. It was the incredible flexibility within the game. The strategy
and strike / counterstrike and creativity of team maneuvers and
tactics.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:31:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

In article <1102g4c48ld8a5e@corp.supernews.com>, quixote@writeme.com
says...
> > I want to believe that Tribes 3 is in fact the "serie pilot". The thingy
> > to check if the audience is ready for a new show.
>
> Talk about him and he shows up out of thin air. What's up frenchie?

Doing great. I spend more time with my pen tablet and paint shop pro
than Tribes 1 & 2.

ps: but I just reinstalled Tribes 1 on my machines. After dumping T3
demo for good.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:31:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

"[RS]Faramir_agst" <envoyezdesspams@free.fr> wrote in message
news:MPG.1c6b731254db9444989681@news.free.fr...
> In article <1102g4c48ld8a5e@corp.supernews.com>, quixote@writeme.com
> says...
>> > I want to believe that Tribes 3 is in fact the "serie pilot". The
>> > thingy
>> > to check if the audience is ready for a new show.
>>
>> Talk about him and he shows up out of thin air. What's up frenchie?
>
> Doing great. I spend more time with my pen tablet and paint shop pro
> than Tribes 1 & 2.
>
> ps: but I just reinstalled Tribes 1 on my machines. After dumping T3
> demo for good.

Hey, I fired up T1 the other night too. It was great fun, and I could still
snipe good enough to make someone mad at me. :^) Good to hear from you
again and glad you are doing alright. Seems the highlight of AGST these
days is seeing an old face. BTW, my wife is a PSP junkie too.

Quixote
February 3, 2005 2:31:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:44:57 -0600, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
wrote:

>
>"[RS]Faramir_agst" <envoyezdesspams@free.fr> wrote in message
>news:MPG.1c6b731254db9444989681@news.free.fr...
>> In article <1102g4c48ld8a5e@corp.supernews.com>, quixote@writeme.com
>> says...
>>> > I want to believe that Tribes 3 is in fact the "serie pilot". The
>>> > thingy
>>> > to check if the audience is ready for a new show.
>>>
>>> Talk about him and he shows up out of thin air. What's up frenchie?
>>
>> Doing great. I spend more time with my pen tablet and paint shop pro
>> than Tribes 1 & 2.
>>
>> ps: but I just reinstalled Tribes 1 on my machines. After dumping T3
>> demo for good.
>
>Hey, I fired up T1 the other night too. It was great fun, and I could still
>snipe good enough to make someone mad at me. :^) Good to hear from you
>again and glad you are doing alright. Seems the highlight of AGST these
>days is seeing an old face. BTW, my wife is a PSP junkie too.
>
>Quixote
>

I spent a whole afternoon just configuring the 3 simple scripts I use.
I'm NOT a scriping kind of person. Too much trouble.

T1 is great. I had forgotten how familiar the sounds were. Everything
from the loud Dynamix intro to the whirling low whistle of an idle
spinfuser.

Oh, and that's another bitch I have about the T:V game. The weapons,
particularly the chain gun, have the weakest, tinny sounds.

The one sound I did like, though, was the mechanized stomp and whir of
the heavy armor.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:35:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

In article <ctraak$ruc$1@inews.gazeta.pl>, duffstuff@hotmail.com says...
> Who are you?

You bloody british bastard??? you forgot aboot me.

http://tinyurl.com/5t8te

--
[RS]Faramir_agst --- www.fabriceroux.com
Tribes and Paint Shop Pro scripts
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:35:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 23:35:26 +0100, RS Faramir_agst wrote:

> You bloody british bastard???

Yessir?

> you forgot aboot me.

As much as you might wish this true... nope:
http://tinyurl.com/5psyq

> http://tinyurl.com/5t8te

Rest assured... that's none of my doing.

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1½
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 6:16:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

[RS]Faramir_agst wrote:
>
> Doing great. I spend more time with my pen tablet and paint shop pro
> than Tribes 1 & 2.

You draw/paint? Show it.
February 3, 2005 6:17:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 03:16:59 +0100, Frank van Schie
<frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote:

>[RS]Faramir_agst wrote:
>>
>> Doing great. I spend more time with my pen tablet and paint shop pro
>> than Tribes 1 & 2.
>
>You draw/paint? Show it.

Same thought I had. I play with photoshop. I had posted a link here to
my daughter's Armor Washing service on Begger's Run. :) 

I'd be interested in seeing the art from anyone in this newsgroup.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:29:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

In article <h64301lsu6euchv9djm2drahri7i0jmho9@4ax.com>,
tribesfan@hotmail.com says...
> T1 is great. I had forgotten how familiar the sounds were. Everything
> from the loud Dynamix intro to the whirling low whistle of an idle
> spinfuser.

The Dynamix intro sound almost gave me a hard on... :) 

It was so good to hear the great A3D 1.0 implementation on the Doppler
effect. (sound pitch variation with speed)

I'm more an idle mortar kind of person... GREAT defense memory flash
backs. :) 

--
[RS]Faramir_agst --- www.fabriceroux.com
Tribes and Paint Shop Pro scripts
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:30:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

In article <K_GdnRfdxbAeFJzfRVnytg@casema.nl>, frankNOSPAM@email.it
says...
> > Doing great. I spend more time with my pen tablet and paint shop pro
> > than Tribes 1 & 2.
>
> You draw/paint? Show it.

http://www.pbase.com/fabriceroux/image/34876948

--
[RS]Faramir_agst --- www.fabriceroux.com
Tribes and Paint Shop Pro scripts
February 4, 2005 12:30:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 21:30:37 +0100, [RS]Faramir_agst
<envoyezdesspams@free.fr> wrote:

>In article <K_GdnRfdxbAeFJzfRVnytg@casema.nl>, frankNOSPAM@email.it
>says...
>> > Doing great. I spend more time with my pen tablet and paint shop pro
>> > than Tribes 1 & 2.
>>
>> You draw/paint? Show it.
>
>http://www.pbase.com/fabriceroux/image/34876948

Nice work! Beautiful part of the country. What kind of camera did you
take those with? I know you probably stated it here before, but I'm
too lazy to rifle through google when I can just simply ask. :) 


--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
February 4, 2005 12:30:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:22:27 -0600, "Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 21:30:37 +0100, [RS]Faramir_agst
><envoyezdesspams@free.fr> wrote:
>
>>In article <K_GdnRfdxbAeFJzfRVnytg@casema.nl>, frankNOSPAM@email.it
>>says...
>>> > Doing great. I spend more time with my pen tablet and paint shop pro
>>> > than Tribes 1 & 2.
>>>
>>> You draw/paint? Show it.
>>
>>http://www.pbase.com/fabriceroux/image/34876948
>
>Nice work! Beautiful part of the country. What kind of camera did you
>take those with? I know you probably stated it here before, but I'm
>too lazy to rifle through google when I can just simply ask. :) 

Never mind, I noticed it on the Edinburgh castle pic.

Canon EOS 300D Digital Rebel.

Duh.


--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:42:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

[RS]Faramir_agst wrote:
> In article <K_GdnRfdxbAeFJzfRVnytg@casema.nl>, frankNOSPAM@email.it
> says...
>
>>>Doing great. I spend more time with my pen tablet and paint shop pro
>>>than Tribes 1 & 2.
>>
>>You draw/paint? Show it.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/fabriceroux/image/34876948

Goddamn. Nice.

Is that a paintover (over a photograph)? Even if so, damn nice.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:43:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

Frank van Schie wrote:

> [RS]Faramir_agst wrote:
>
>> In article <K_GdnRfdxbAeFJzfRVnytg@casema.nl>, frankNOSPAM@email.it
>> says...
>>
>>>> Doing great. I spend more time with my pen tablet and paint shop pro
>>>> than Tribes 1 & 2.
>>>
>>>
>>> You draw/paint? Show it.
>>
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/fabriceroux/image/34876948
>
>
> Goddamn. Nice.
>
> Is that a paintover (over a photograph)? Even if so, damn nice.

Or, worse, is it a filter? :) 
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:43:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:43:11 +0100, Frank van Schie wrote:

> Or, worse, is it a filter? :) 

The effect is too uneven for a filter.

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1½
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:45:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

In article <Cq2dnXwgPMVfEZ_fRVnyjw@casema.nl>, frankNOSPAM@email.it says...
> > Is that a paintover (over a photograph)? Even if so, damn nice.
>
> Or, worse, is it a filter? :) 

Correct... :)  It's Virtual Painter :) 

The original photograph is somewhere on my Marseille PBase album.

--
[RS]Faramir_agst --- www.fabriceroux.com
Tribes and Paint Shop Pro scripts
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:47:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

In article <MPG.1c6cabe4e3d85b08989685@news.free.fr>, envoyezdesspams@free.fr
says...
> In article <Cq2dnXwgPMVfEZ_fRVnyjw@casema.nl>, frankNOSPAM@email.it says...
> > > Is that a paintover (over a photograph)? Even if so, damn nice.
> >
> > Or, worse, is it a filter? :) 
>
> Correct... :)  It's Virtual Painter :) 

Examples of Virtual Painter:
http://www.pbase.com/fabriceroux/paintings

--
[RS]Faramir_agst --- www.fabriceroux.com
Tribes and Paint Shop Pro scripts
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:54:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

In article <ctu2pq$9j2$1@inews.gazeta.pl>, duffstuff@hotmail.com says...
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:43:11 +0100, Frank van Schie wrote:
>
> > Or, worse, is it a filter? :) 
>
> The effect is too uneven for a filter.

It's a filter available in Virtual Painter:
http://www.jasc.com/products/vpainter/?
http://www.vpainter.com/

--
[RS]Faramir_agst --- www.fabriceroux.com
Tribes and Paint Shop Pro scripts
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:54:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 21:54:14 +0100, RS Faramir_agst wrote:

> It's a filter available in Virtual Painter:
> http://www.jasc.com/products/vpainter/?
> http://www.vpainter.com/

Fair enough. :) 

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1½
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:55:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

In article <ctu2pq$9j2$1@inews.gazeta.pl>, duffstuff@hotmail.com says...
> The effect is too uneven for a filter.

Another example on the Edinburgh castle:
http://www.pbase.com/fabriceroux/image/37071143

--
[RS]Faramir_agst --- www.fabriceroux.com
Tribes and Paint Shop Pro scripts
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:55:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 21:55:34 +0100, RS Faramir_agst wrote:

> Another example on the Edinburgh castle:
> http://www.pbase.com/fabriceroux/image/37071143

That thing's still imposing, several hundred years later.

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1½
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:57:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 21:57:40 +0100, RS Faramir_agst wrote:

> Hey K!!!
>
> North from your current position there are some FUNNY HAIRY animals:
> http://www.pbase.com/fabriceroux/image/36838280

True...:
http://www.rizzuti.org/Scozia/Haggis.jpg

> The hee lan coo... (highland cow scots way)

Dunno about "hee lan coo"... I'd call it sir if one rapidly approached
me... before running in the same direction it was doing.

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1½
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:01:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

In article <1103094gterk0c9@corp.supernews.com>, quixote@writeme.com says....
> BTW, my wife is a PSP junkie too.

After Corel laid off the Jasc team behind Paint Shop Pro I looked at Adobe
Photoshop CS... damn 1200¤ compared to the 80¤ I paid for PSP8.

Yes PS CS have great tools inside the box... but because of Python scripting
capaility PSP wins the match HANDS DOWN.

--
[RS]Faramir_agst --- www.fabriceroux.com
Tribes and Paint Shop Pro scripts
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:01:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 22:01:53 +0100, RS Faramir_agst wrote:

> After Corel laid off the Jasc team behind Paint Shop Pro I looked at Adobe
> Photoshop CS... damn 1200¤ compared to the 80¤ I paid for PSP8.
>
> Yes PS CS have great tools inside the box... but because of Python scripting
> capaility PSP wins the match HANDS DOWN.

CS is just a cut/dumbed-down version of Photoshop.

It might be a PITA to install, but give Gimp a try:
http://www.gimp.org/windows/

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1½
February 4, 2005 1:01:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 22:01:53 +0100, [RS]Faramir_agst
<envoyezdesspams@free.fr> wrote:

>In article <1103094gterk0c9@corp.supernews.com>, quixote@writeme.com says...
>> BTW, my wife is a PSP junkie too.
>
>After Corel laid off the Jasc team behind Paint Shop Pro I looked at Adobe
>Photoshop CS... damn 1200€ compared to the 80€ I paid for PSP8.
>
>Yes PS CS have great tools inside the box... but because of Python scripting
>capaility PSP wins the match HANDS DOWN.

I have PSP 6.0. But a friend gave me an "evaluation copy" of PS 7.0.
I've been evaluating it ever since. The reason they charge so much for
it is because they can.

Jasc and PSP showed that a top flight image manipulation package
needn't cost an arm and a leg. And GIMP ain't bad either! And it's
free.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
February 4, 2005 1:01:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 21:17:49 +0000, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 22:01:53 +0100, RS Faramir_agst wrote:
>
>> After Corel laid off the Jasc team behind Paint Shop Pro I looked at Adobe
>> Photoshop CS... damn 1200€ compared to the 80€ I paid for PSP8.
>>
>> Yes PS CS have great tools inside the box... but because of Python scripting
>> capaility PSP wins the match HANDS DOWN.
>
>CS is just a cut/dumbed-down version of Photoshop.
>
>It might be a PITA to install, but give Gimp a try:
>http://www.gimp.org/windows/

I was not aware that GIMP had an MS Windows version. Cool.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:32:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

In article <ctu4i2$ica$2@inews.gazeta.pl>, duffstuff@hotmail.com says...
> It might be a PITA to install, but give Gimp a try:
> http://www.gimp.org/windows/

Last time I checked Gimp lacked a decent scripting capability. With my Export
script under Paint Shop Pro I can do the following steps on a batch of
pictures automatically:
# Autorotate according to EXIF orientation
# Crop to a given aspect ration + position
# Stairway interpolation resizing
# Framing
# Drop shadow
# Signature with EXIF directives
# Delete EXIF information to save some room (for thumbnails)
# Image saving using an optional extension

I processed the 237 pictures from my cousin wedding in one click.

--
[RS]Faramir_agst --- www.fabriceroux.com
Tribes and Paint Shop Pro scripts
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:32:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 22:32:36 +0100, RS Faramir_agst wrote:

> Last time I checked Gimp lacked a decent scripting capability. With my Export
> script under Paint Shop Pro I can do the following steps on a batch of
> pictures automatically:
> # Autorotate according to EXIF orientation
> # Crop to a given aspect ration + position
> # Stairway interpolation resizing
> # Framing
> # Drop shadow
> # Signature with EXIF directives
> # Delete EXIF information to save some room (for thumbnails)
> # Image saving using an optional extension
>
> I processed the 237 pictures from my cousin wedding in one click.

Hmm... a lot of that I could do with bash/ImageMagick scripting... if I
could be bothered to figure out the switches.

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1½
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:32:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 22:10:55 GMT, Hellmark wrote:

> Yeah but what about the lowly Windows users?

They're/you're lumbered with whatever bloaty GUI-based package you decide on.

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1½
February 4, 2005 1:32:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 22:18:11 +0000, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 22:10:55 GMT, Hellmark wrote:
>
>> Yeah but what about the lowly Windows users?
>
>They're/you're lumbered with whatever bloaty GUI-based package you decide on.

Bloaty?! I'll have you know that's prime FAT! Er, I mean muscle! Why
get the job done in 12 lines of code when you can do it in 120?!

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:33:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:29:52 -0600, Smeghead wrote:

> Bloaty?! I'll have you know that's prime FAT! Er, I mean muscle! Why
> get the job done in 12 lines of code when you can do it in 120?!

I bet you like emacs too, don't you?

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1½
February 4, 2005 1:33:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 22:33:13 +0000, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:29:52 -0600, Smeghead wrote:
>
>> Bloaty?! I'll have you know that's prime FAT! Er, I mean muscle! Why
>> get the job done in 12 lines of code when you can do it in 120?!
>
>I bet you like emacs too, don't you?

I've only used VIm because that's what they used at work and I am
familiar with it. Somewhat.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:33:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in news:ctu8um$8sm$1@inews.gazeta.pl:

> I bet you like emacs too, don't you?

Is there anything else? :)  Of course, I cut my teeth on TECO, the line
editor that the first EMACS was written in! And I used it on printing
terminals, and got good at visualizing large documents in my head to save
on paper.
February 4, 2005 1:33:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:47:59 -0600, ScratchMonkey
<ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in news:ctu8um$8sm$1@inews.gazeta.pl:
>
>> I bet you like emacs too, don't you?
>
>Is there anything else? :)  Of course, I cut my teeth on TECO, the line
>editor that the first EMACS was written in! And I used it on printing
>terminals, and got good at visualizing large documents in my head to save
>on paper.

Scratch, you really are a geek! And I mean that as a compliment.

010010010010000001100010011001010111010000100000011110010110
111101110101001001110111001001100101001000000111001101101111
001000000110011101100101011001010110101101111001001000000111
010001101000011000010111010000100000011110010110111101110101
001000000110001101100001011011100010000001110010011001010110
000101100100001000000110001001101001011011100110000101110010
0111100100101110

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:35:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

In article <ctu4ri$jq3$2@inews.gazeta.pl>, duffstuff@hotmail.com says...
> > The hee lan coo... (highland cow scots way)
>
> Dunno about "hee lan coo"... I'd call it sir if one rapidly approached
> me... before running in the same direction it was doing.

It's good to see that time goes by and things remain the same... AGST
aptitute to slide OFF TOPIC in a snap. :) 

--
[RS]Faramir_agst --- www.fabriceroux.com
Tribes and Paint Shop Pro scripts
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:35:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 22:35:06 +0100, RS Faramir_agst wrote:

> It's good to see that time goes by and things remain the same... AGST
> aptitute to slide OFF TOPIC in a snap. :) 

I seem to recall someones cats breath smells.

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1½
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:41:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:38:54 -0600, Smeghead wrote:

> I've only used VIm because that's what they used at work and I am
> familiar with it. Somewhat.

+----
| [eth::~]$> emacs
| bash: emacs: command not found
+----

There's some hope for you then. :) 

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1½
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 2:18:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

In article <9u65015k6oqlpvko6ies778eqr7hm52um6@4ax.com>,
tribesfan@hotmail.com says...
> You'd think with the importance and emphasis I acknowledge sound plays
> in games, that I'd have invested in a top-notch PC sound system,
> right? Not yet. I have a passing sound solution. Two channel and
> subwoofer set of Boston Acoustics PC speakers.

At the time Tribes was released I was using an Aureal Vortex 2 soundcard +
headphones. The sound positionning was INCREDIBLE while defending the flag in
Scarabrae I was able to hear and local players walking on the roof. :) 

Believe me positionning in PC games is better in headphones.

--
[RS]Faramir_agst --- www.fabriceroux.com
Tribes and Paint Shop Pro scripts
February 4, 2005 2:18:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:18:26 +0100, [RS]Faramir_agst
<envoyezdesspams@free.fr> wrote:

>In article <9u65015k6oqlpvko6ies778eqr7hm52um6@4ax.com>,
>tribesfan@hotmail.com says...
>> You'd think with the importance and emphasis I acknowledge sound plays
>> in games, that I'd have invested in a top-notch PC sound system,
>> right? Not yet. I have a passing sound solution. Two channel and
>> subwoofer set of Boston Acoustics PC speakers.
>
>At the time Tribes was released I was using an Aureal Vortex 2 soundcard +
>headphones. The sound positionning was INCREDIBLE while defending the flag in
>Scarabrae I was able to hear and local players walking on the roof. :) 
>
>Believe me positionning in PC games is better in headphones.

Oh, I believe you. I just don't have a top-notch set of headphones
either. :) 

I'd love to have a really nice sound setup because I know that with
just the two channel sound, I can usually distinguish where a sniper
is.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 2:18:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:18:26 +0100, RS Faramir_agst wrote:

> At the time Tribes was released I was using an Aureal Vortex 2 soundcard +
> headphones. The sound positionning was INCREDIBLE while defending the flag in
> Scarabrae I was able to hear and local players walking on the roof. :) 
>
> Believe me positionning in PC games is better in headphones.

Wtf? A gamer talking sense?? What's going on? Teh suk!!!11

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1½
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 2:21:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

In article <ctu6aa$qk2$1@inews.gazeta.pl>, duffstuff@hotmail.com says...
> > It's good to see that time goes by and things remain the same... AGST
> > aptitute to slide OFF TOPIC in a snap. :) 
>
> I seem to recall someones cats breath smells.

Speaking of cat... here are a bunch of pictures of my girlfriend 12kg / 25
pounds cat:

http://www.pbase.com/fabriceroux/alpaga

Check out those:
http://www.pbase.com/fabriceroux/image/32744128
http://www.pbase.com/fabriceroux/image/38093757

--
[RS]Faramir_agst --- www.fabriceroux.com
Tribes and Paint Shop Pro scripts
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 2:21:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:21:37 +0100, RS Faramir_agst wrote:

> Speaking of cat... here are a bunch of pictures of my girlfriend 12kg / 25
> pounds cat:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/fabriceroux/alpaga
>
> Check out those:
> http://www.pbase.com/fabriceroux/image/32744128
> http://www.pbase.com/fabriceroux/image/38093757

F00k! Can it walk??

.... that's one real fat cat!

--
"A riot is unt ugly thing, unt it's about time we had one!"
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1½
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 2:26:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

In article <348501huuau26nhpn7imufs7ebkds0qtqo@4ax.com>,
tribesfan@hotmail.com says...
> Jasc and PSP showed that a top flight image manipulation package
> needn't cost an arm and a leg. And GIMP ain't bad either! And it's
> free.

I haven't upgraded PSP8 to PSP9 because the noise and chromatic abheration
tools are already covered by previously aquired external tools. PSP9 is a tad
faster than PSP8 when manipulating huge image layers transparency.

--
[RS]Faramir_agst --- www.fabriceroux.com
Tribes and Paint Shop Pro scripts
!