24-pin PSU down to 20-pin MOBO?

Edgarthefish

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
So I recently invested money in a new PSU, RAM, HD and alot of other neat new toys.

But there was one thing I didn't invest in and that was my motherboard. My monetary limits were tight and I figured as long as I got things that fit the motherboard then I'd be fine. Unfortunately that was not the case. I got my new PSU and realized only AFTER the fact and AFTER looking at all my stuff that my motherboard has a 20-pin connection and my PSU was a 24 pin ARRGH!!

So I got on newegg.com where I bought all my stuff and found a 24-pin PSU to 20-pin mobo converter but it said it was for intel server board use only. So I am thoroughly confused now.

Is it possible for me to make the jump DOWN from a 24-pin to 20-pin connection?

Btw I recently bought an AGP4x Sapphire 512 MB Video Card with an ATI chipset. I've only got a simple IDE HD using a molex power connection and a CD Drive with a molex power connection and IDE. The video card has one of those teeny tiny 4-pin, I believe, PCI power supplies that hooks up to the backend of the card.

I just need to know if I have to invest in a new MOBO and send everything back or will I be able to keep everything. And my soundcard is a PreSonus Inspire 1394 with it's own powersupply. All told I don't there there's much power being used except for that video card...... and the 6 fans inside my case.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Use the Adapter, they're talking cr@p. First check that the doesn't have a removeable 2x2 block at one end that turs it into a 20. See if you can just connect it anyway with the 4 at one end not used. The connector on your video card sounds like a floppy drive type power connector. Many power supplys have 2 of these. What make/model PSU? You get what you pay for with PSUs.

psymanproductions

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
i think you can just plug the 24 pin from psu straight into the 20 pin on the mobo and leave the last 4 hanging over the edge, make sure the clip on the side is lined up and in place before you power up and there should be no problem.

most psus ive seen with 24 pins have the last 4 pins seperate, IE you can detatch them leaving the 20 pins that some mobos use... id guess yours is the same but either way the first 20 pins should be identical on 20 and 24 pined psus for backwards compatability. i'd look carefully at the 24 pins coming out of the psu and see if the last 4 are detatchable 'cos its not allwats that obvious, even if theyre not detatchable the last first 20 pins are identical on 20 and 24 pineed models

DjBulletFast

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Hey guys im having the same problem I'm in the process of building a new PC but I bought my PSU first its Ultra 1000W X3 and It only came with a 24 pin with no detachable 4 pin. I just pushed mine down on the 20 pin and it was working but today it started to glitch out and not turn off. Then it just didn't turn on so now im using the old PSU again.

psymanproductions

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007

i would just buy an adapter then...

Edgarthefish

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
Thanks. I wasn't sure about the backwards compatibility between the two. I bought a logisys PS550ABK 550 watt PSU. SATA power connect, 3 Molex, Floppy disk power connect, and a 24 pin motherboard connect. The connection for the motherboard is a 24-pin dedicated but the adapter is cheap as sh*t on newegg. 13 dollars or something.

Thanks again for the help guys. This is the first PC I've built by myself. While I had some pre-existing hardware like the motherboard and case, everything else was bought new. Everything should work. Here are my specs.

Asus KR7A motherboard (From 2002, I know I know...)

2.0 AMD Athlon Socket A processor.

2 gigs of DDR 266 ram. (It should serve me well for what I'm using it for which is Audio production. They are stacked too 2 sticks of 512 and a 1 gig stick. I don't think that is should present any problems.)

320 gig Western Digital ATA100 7200 RPM HDD

VGA Sapphire 512 MB 128 bit AGP 4x video card with an ATI chipset

Edimax 802.11n wireless adapter

Lite-on 20X DVD-RW

And my crown jewel ... PreSonus Audio Inspire 1394 24-bit/96khz capabilities with 2 Mic level inputs and 2 line level inputs. Unfortunately I failed to notice that the outputs were only unbalanced which could introduce line noise but I digress.

Thanks for all the help guys. I may post pics of the completed setup with studio monitors and all after I get everything setup and running.