Building New Computer After Many Years

Allanag

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Hi All,

the last time I built a computer was about 5 or so years ago. Now, I'm about to do it again. This computer will be used for pretty much everything and anything. Games, watching movies, watching tv, recording video, word processing, and much more.

I may overclock at some point. However, I've never overclocked before and if I do decide to test the waters would need a lot of help.

So without further ado, I'd welcome your suggestions, comments and feedback on my proposed build:

1. Case Xaser VI or Cooler Master Cosmos 1010 ESA. Perhaps Antec P182
2. CPU Q9450
3. Motherboard Abit IX38 Quad GT or Asus Maximus Formula
4. HSF Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro or Xigmatek HDT-S1283
5. RAM Patriot Or Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066
6. PSU Seasonic M12 700W or Silverstone ST85F 850 W
7. GPU 8800 GT
8. Hard Drives Western Digital. 2 HD, one being a raptor for OS
9. DVD ROM LG GSA H10L, Plextor or ?
10. TV Tuner-Hauppauge(Already have)
11. Card Reader Already Have
12. Case Fans (Scythe S-Flex. 2 configured for intake(1 in front and side) and 1 exhaust(back)
13. Monitor 21 inch Iiyama Vision Master Pro 512 or 19" Samsung VP930B (Already have both of these) I'd eventually like to upgrade to a 24 or 30 inch LCD.
14. OS Vista Ultimate(I have both 32 and 64 bit)

Thank you for all the help in advance.

Allan

Jpain

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
7. Go with 8800 GTS 512MB
8. Raptor is loud and expensive, just get 2x 500GB 32MB or 2X 1000GB 32MB
9. any 20XDVD/RW_sata

akhilles

Splendid
Agreed on the GTS512 since you're upgrading to 24/30".

Overall, very best picks.

Freezer is not in the same league of Xigmatek. Ditch Freezer. These are top air coolers:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=8

Yeah I've said it many times. Ultimate comes with 32- & 64-bit on individual DVDs. If either is missing, MS will send you a copy for a shipping fee.

If you're using some old software that won't work in Vista, here's a tip: format drive, reinstall xp with the old software you plan to use in vista, insert vista dvd 32-bit, upgrade. Done. It'll work fine in Vista. I've done it on a laptop. This process seems to "validate" the old software. This works for old drivers as well in case there's no new/Vista drivers.

Also, look at ASUS DRW-2014L1T.

Allanag

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002

Hi Akhilles,

Thanks for the suggestions. I am thinking of revising the list to the following then:

1. Probably the Cooler Master 1010. Still making a final decision though. Any further insight will be great, since this is one of the harder decisions for me. :)

3. Recommendations between those 2 motherboards? Or any others you might recommend over them?

4. OCZ Vendetta 2

5. Corsair or Patriot Ram DDR2 800.

7. 8800 GTS 512

8. 2 Western Digital Drives.

9 ASUS DRW-2014L1T

By the way do you recommend Vista 64 bit over 32 bit?

Allan

#4. The AC F Pro is an excellent budget cooler (I have one), but if you are planning on eventually going for a high OC, you will need a better cooler. I got an E6600 to 3.0 GHz with the stock cooler. Couldn't get higher than 3.3 GHz with the AC F Pro.

#5. I like Crucial, but, frankly, above a certain quality level, it is personal preference. Of the two brands you mention, I'd probably buy Corsair.

#8. I am not certain that the extra performance of a Raptor is worth the extra cost, noise, and heat.

#9. I have always liked Plextors, but now with the inexpensive Samsungs and LG's, I do not think that Plextors are worth the added cost. My first choice - Samsung S series, second - LG. Most LG models that I have seen ship with a black bezel installed but have a white one in the box.

#12. I like the S-Flexes. Be careful when you buy. They come in several models based on air flow. I have the SFF21F's - good compromise between noise and airflow. I was going to put two of them on my TR Ultra 120 Extreme HS in push-pull, but I recently got an Antec 900 and with the 8" fan on top. I figured that I did not need two HS fans.

Allanag

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002

Hi Jsc,

As mentioned, I have never overclocked before, that's why if I do overclock, I don't plan to go extreme. Just a slight one. Any suggestions for overclocking the Q9450 would be great.

I did decide against the raptor and will just get 2 Western Digital drives.

Crucial is another brand I like and also might purchase.

I used to love Plextor, however I've heard they no longer make their own drives and also that there are better rated burners now.

Thanks for the heads up on the case fans.

Allan

akhilles

Splendid
For me, it doesn't really matter what mobo to get cuz I like challenges. :) For you, it's best to stick with a beginner-friendly mobo like GA-X38-DQ6 which can be overclocked by monkeys. If you give them bananas after. :) Or we might see some mishap on youtube. :) ASUS has a bit more settings in bios. ABIT may be overwhelming for beginners.

32-bit for now. Most every app is 32-bit-compatible.

What I recommend:

3. Asus Maximus Formula
4. Xigmatek HDT-S1283
5. RAM Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (***Be careful with RAM higher than DDR2 800, many RAM natively higher than DDR2 800 sems to have compatibility issues***)
6. PSU Seasonic M12 700W
7. GPU 8800 GTS
8. Any Seagate/WD/Samfung 7200.11 HDDs (Only a 1-2.5ms slower than the Raptors in most benches)

chuckm

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Just finished helping a guy at work with a build using the Abit and it's got me thinking of going with the IP35 Pro instead of the Asus P5K-E for my own build, not the first problem using a Quad and 4 gig of Muskin ram.

akhilles

Splendid
The latest bios for IP35-E results in the lowest vdroop - which is what overclockers look for in a mobo. That or do vdroop mod which may void the warranty. P5K-E has 1-2 options for similiar results, but not as good, IMO. Unless you do voltage mods, then it'll be golden.

Correction: Abit is not difficult to o/c, but DFI is.