Sony VGN-s460 CPU Upgrade

drawnbychrist

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
I am looking to upgrade my laptop CPU but am confused about which of the new sockets, if any are compatible. My current CPU is a Intel Centrino m740, this is part of the i915PM/GM chipset according to CPU-Z. This is the processor I am looking at

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819111003

There are two things that I need to know.
1) is this socket compatible with my mobo. I know there is a Socket M and a Socket P, but which, if any will be compatible?
2) I need to know my mobo can support the 800mhz FSB, or if this processor is too much for my current mobo.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone has any other websites that they can point me to with this info, that would be awesome.

Thanks

Edit: added more info about system

Mondoman

Splendid
Unfortunately, you almost certainly can't upgrade your CPU at all.
1) Your chipset only supports the Pentium M and Celeron M CPUs, so none of the Core2Duo CPUs (such as in your link) will work.
2) even if the CPU fit, laptops are designed for the specific power and heat requirements of the CPU, and rarely have enough "extra" power and cooling capacity to accomodate a significantly more powerful CPU.
3) laptop CPUs are normally mounted to specialized cooling solutions, and so are often very difficult to remove without specialized tools and/or desoldering.