Q9550 High Idle Temp

csteakc

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I just built a new computer with a gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard and a Q9550 with Tuniq Tower heatsink and AS5. I installed vista ultimate x64 and it boots fine but after running Real Temps I'm getting Idle temps at like 58 degrees (vcore 1.225) when the computer just turned on. I updated the bios and temps are still high. In the bios it says the CPU is at 80 degrees C. If I try to run Prime95 it goes to like 90s and will continue to go up but I turn it off because I'm paranoid. (I'm almost 100% sure that it's not actually that high). I don't think that's possible the heatsink is not even warm and the fan is blowing out cold air.

I don't know what the problem is. Should I reseat the CPU? I've already tried reseating the Tuniq Tower. I also tried applying some pressure to the heatsink to see if the temps would go down and theres no effect.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
csteakc,

As you've discovered, BIOS calibration determines CPU temperature, but has nothing to do with Intel's factory calibrated Core temperatures. Since the Tuniq Tower uses a backing plate, it's likely that there are 2 simultaneous but separate problems;

(1) Gigabyte's BIOS programmers have screwed up. Not the first time, won't be the last, because every socket 775 processor variant has to be coded, and it's easy to make a mistake.

(2) Your Q9550 has "stuck" sensors, which is a common problem among 45 nanometer processors, can be tested with Real Temp. See the fourth post (#2829) in the following link - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=179044&page=114 - to download Real Temp 2.90 RC2, which is the latest Beta. Use the following link - http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp - to read the Real Temp Documentation to learn about the features, and how to test your sensors.

From the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

Section 1: Introduction

Core 2 Quad and Duo processors have 2 different types of temperature sensors; a CPU case (not computer case) Thermal Diode centered under the Cores, and Digital Thermal Sensors located on each Core. The case Thermal Diode measures Tcase (Temperature case), which is CPU temperature, and the Digital Thermal Sensors measure Tjunction (Temperature junction), which is Core temperature. Since these sensors measure 2 distinct thermal levels, there is a 5c temperature difference between them, which is Tcase to Tjunction Gradient. C2Q's have 1 Tcase and 4 Tjunction sensors, while C2D's have 1 Tcase and 2 Tjunction sensors.

Section 5: Findings

(A) Tcase is acquired on the CPU substrate from the CPU case Thermal Diode as an analog level, which is converted to a digital value by the super I/O (Input/Output) chip on the motherboard. The digital value is BIOS Calibrated and displayed by temperature software. BIOS Calibration affects the accuracy of Tcase, or CPU temperature.

(B) Tjunction is acquired on the Cores from Thermal Diodes as analog levels, which are converted to digital values by the Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) on each Core. The digital values are Factory Calibrated and displayed by temperature software. Factory Calibration affects the accuracy of Tjunction, or Core temperatures.

(C) Tcase and Tjunction are both acquired from Thermal Diodes. Tcase and Tjunction analog to digital (A to D) conversions are executed by separate devices in different locations. BIOS Calibrations from motherboard manufacturers, Factory Calibrations from Intel, and popular temperature utilities are frequently inaccurate.

Section 6: Scale

Scale 2: Quad
Q9x50: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping E0, TDP 95W, Idle 16W<-- Q9550 E0
Q9x50: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping C1, TDP 95W, Idle 16W<-- Q9550 C1
Q9400: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping R0, TDP 95W, Idle 16W
Q9300: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping M1, TDP 95W, Idle 16W
Q8x00: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping R0, TDP 95W, Idle 16W
Q8200: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping M1, TDP 95W, Idle 16W
Q6x00: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping G0, TDP 95W, Idle 16W

-Tcase/Tjunction-
--70--/--75--75--75--75-- Hot
--65--/--70--70--70--70-- Warm
--60--/--65--65--65--65-- Safe
--25--/--30--30--30--30-- Cool

■If you read the Guide you can get a much better understanding of how temperatures work, and you can learn how to calibrate CPU temperature and individual Core temperatures.

What is your ambient?

Since Real Temp reads Core temperatures only, and not CPU temperature, what utility are you using to read CPU temperature?

What are your Core temperatures when running Prime95 Small FFT's for 10 minutes?

csteakc

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Ambient Temp is 23C. I just reseated both the cpu and the heatsink and applied thin layer of thermal grease, Real Temps is reading about 69 idle on the highest core and 58 on the lowest one right after the computer was turned on. Again the heatsink is cool and cold air coming through it. About 5-10 seconds after starting Prime95 it shoots up to 80s then to 90s and I stop it.

Thanks for response so far.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Thank you for clarifying that bit of confusion concerning terminology, which changes the possibilities. Under these circumstances, I think I know what's wrong. Have you checked to make sure that you removed the packaging cover from the bottom of the Tuniq Tower?

csteakc

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Yes the cover was removed. The temperature changes are rapid. Once Prime95 starts temperature goes up to 90s in under 10 seconds; once it's terminated, it drops back down to 70 in less than 5 seconds.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Rapid changes in temperatures are completely normal. Have you checked to see if there are any known mounting issues with the Tuniq Tower on your motherboard? Is it possible that the Tuniq Tower is in contact with a voltage regulator heat sinc, which would interfere with it seating properly?

You can always try installing the stock Intel cooler to rule out an unrevealed mounting problem with the Tuniq and the GA-EP45-UD3P.

redbadge

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
what are the temps at boot up in the bios from a cold start and also what do they eventually settle at while left at idle in the bios screen...
?

kzVegas

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Never EVER use nail polish remover to clean your CPU or heatsink. Nail polish remover contains oils for fragrance and will interfere with the conduction of heat from the CPU to the heatsink. 90% or better isopropanol alcohol (rubbing alcohol) will do the best job of cleaning your CPU and heatsink.

freakz28

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
i use hand sanitizer to clean all my thermal paste never did me wrong GERM X =D

probley not a good idea but what ever works and it leaves a nice smell lol

danimon

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
wow,i thought i was the unlucky one getting 45C @ idle(hope can touch 35C or near it)..but your 60C @idle n 90C @10sec Prime95 was so spectacular..
i think you should give a try to your stock cooler.my stock cooler idle@54-50C each core @ 25-27C room..if u get same temps,i think u'r tuniq tower was broken(the heatsink or heatpipe not connected so well)..replace it with vendetta2 or xigmatek HDT s1283.it just cost u 35bucks and perform nearly to the expensive one(TRUE)

it also look like ur vcore(1.225) a little bit high..mine with biostar tpower i45 at default(auto) never pass the 1.18,even OCed it to 3,6GHz it still as low as 1,26 @ peak(prime95 smallFFT10min).many say that overvoltage is the main problem of CPU overheating..

btw does anyone of u guys could pass 4.0GHz with core voltage still below 1.3?i can't manage to get into that level coz i'm still using ol n crappy visipro DDR2 667.
Curently i can get to 420FSB easily by only increasing the FSB..