Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help with best gaming card for my system

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 19, 2008 1:31:42 AM

I'll just keep this simple and to the point.

Here's my system:
HP pavilion a6242n
Windows Vista 32bit
AMD 64X2 4800+ 2.5 Ghz
3 Gigs Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
1 - PCI-E X 16 slot
22 Inch Widescreen LCD

I didn't list the psu, because I'm going to have to buy one with the card as mine is lame/stock.

I will not be able to buy a new system for a while. So I don't have to worry about buying with upgrading my system around it in mind.
I could go on and on about all the different opinions on other boards and reviews and help sites etc, but I don't want to confuse the basic question.

What is the best possible nvidia card I can get for my current system now that will not cause me to waste a lot of money for bottlenecked power?

Thanks for any help.

More about : gaming card system

April 19, 2008 2:07:19 AM

Thanks, dagger. I actually already have the first one 8800gt in my shopping cart on new egg. Do you think the gts would make a noticable difference in performance or is sticking with the GT just as good?
Related resources
April 19, 2008 2:15:09 AM

uggh said:
Thanks, dagger. I actually already have the first one 8800gt in my shopping cart on new egg. Do you think the gts would make a noticable difference in performance or is sticking with the GT just as good?



The difference is noticable when you push those cards to the limit, like running Crysis at high resolutions and settings. It's still not much though. They both run on g92 processor, gt with 112 stream processors enabled, gts with 128. The gts have slightly higher overclocking headroom. The aftermarket cooler on that model of 8800gt is as good as the stock cooler on gts, although it doesn't expell all the hot air outside the case as with gts cooler. It shouldn't be a problem if you have good case airflow though. It's up to you if it's worth the extra $20.
April 19, 2008 5:18:38 AM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01077676&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3567334&lang=en

the link is to a picture and specs of the MB

the last problem I'm down to I guess is whether or not that card will fit on my micro-atx board. I'm tempted to do the 8800gt because i'd be closer to being sure it would clear that heatsink. The heatsink is just a fraction higher than the pci-express slot, but I don't know if the card is going to sit out from it enough to make sure the bigger cooling system is going to clear it. I might just be down to take a chance and see and risk having to try and return it.
April 19, 2008 2:59:40 PM

uggh said:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01077676&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3567334&lang=en

the link is to a picture and specs of the MB

the last problem I'm down to I guess is whether or not that card will fit on my micro-atx board. I'm tempted to do the 8800gt because i'd be closer to being sure it would clear that heatsink. The heatsink is just a fraction higher than the pci-express slot, but I don't know if the card is going to sit out from it enough to make sure the bigger cooling system is going to clear it. I might just be down to take a chance and see and risk having to try and return it.

The dual slot cooler goes downwards, not upwards, so as long as there isn't anything "a fraction" lower than the pcie slot, it should be fine.
April 19, 2008 3:23:32 PM

What I meant when I said higher was that the heatsink sticks out farther from the board than the pci slot, it is below the pci-e slot to the right of it. So I'm afraid that I won't be able to push the card all the way in without the cooler bumping it.
April 19, 2008 3:41:13 PM

uggh said:
What I meant when I said higher was that the heatsink sticks out farther from the board than the pci slot, it is below the pci-e slot to the right of it. So I'm afraid that I won't be able to push the card all the way in without the cooler bumping it.



Then it might be a problem. Although the 8800gt is just as long as g92 8800gts, just thinner, so you'll have the same issue with either one. 256mb version of 8800gt is shorter, but they perform horribly.
April 27, 2008 5:43:23 PM

Get the 8800gt 512 version!
!