Sign in with
Your question

Please give input

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 19, 2008 2:03:46 AM

I just got my new computer up and running with my new nvidia graphics card and I have been disappointed with the results. The only benchmark I have is Counstrike Source's video stress test which I ran at 1600x1200 with most options set to high. I'm getting 28 fps on the test.

System:

HP a6177c
Vista Premium w/ SP1
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
2GB memory
NVIDIA 9600 GT 512MB
21" Dell CRT running at 85Hz

Are my expectations unreasonable? Is this the peformance I should expect?

Any comments would be apreciated, I wanted to get some input before I started to pull parts out to troubleshoot potential problems.

Thanks.

More about : give input

April 19, 2008 2:17:53 AM

It's too low, you should expect better out of 9600gt. Did you update driver?

Also, try bench with 3dmark06 and post results.
April 19, 2008 3:39:38 AM

I just put in the original video card an NVIDIA 7350 LE and got 27 fps. Just 1 fps average less than the 9600 gt.

The driver I had installed for the 9600 gt was 174.74 vista32.

Are there any legitamite reasons that would account for such a low fps on my 9600?

Related resources
April 19, 2008 4:04:07 AM

Something is wrong. Try driver cleaner, then reinstall the nvidia driver. That card should do alot better than that. What is your powersupply? You also need to make sure it can power the 9600gt as I am sure it takes more power than your old card. I am not sure if it has the plug in on it, if you didnt plug a pci e power cord into it from your power supply that also could be the case. Not trying to be down on you, you did have a old card and might not be aware of the newer cards. Hope you get it running.
April 19, 2008 5:09:26 AM

If you havnt changed your psu out, and are running on the HP one STOP, you may cause alot of problems. The stock psus that HP puts in their rigs dont usually come with the extra 6pin power connector that goes to the gpu.
April 19, 2008 3:03:01 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
If you havnt changed your psu out, and are running on the HP one STOP, you may cause alot of problems. The stock psus that HP puts in their rigs dont usually come with the extra 6pin power connector that goes to the gpu.

Many cards come with a molex - pcie adaptor, so use that if there's no pcie plug. But of course, if the stock powersupply can't pump out enough juice to power the pc, it's no use.
April 19, 2008 4:28:46 PM

Thanks for the solid replies. It has been awhile since I have upgraded and was unaware that the video card may needs its own connector. Off to get a better power supply at fry's.

Any suggestions on what power supply I should look for?
April 19, 2008 7:30:00 PM

I went with an Antec 650 and now I'm getting 240fps on that same test. Thanks for all the help.

I definetly was unaware of the new connections on the newer graphics cards. My system I just replaced was an AMD T-bird with a geforce 2!!!

Thanks again.
!