Sign in with
Your question

Factory Overclock? Worth it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 19, 2008 4:50:09 AM

Is buying a factory overclock card worth it? Is it worth it paying $20 for an 8800GT that has +75Mhz Core and +150Mhz Memory? Do factory overclocked cards (from BFG specifically) even add any different hardware to the card, or is it just plain overclocked, with the same fan and hardware as a cheaper, non-overclocked company from the same manufactuer? Kinda confused. Thanks for any responses.
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2008 5:02:51 AM

Im not sure about BFG, some companies do, and some dont. Id they dont offer better cooling, then I wouldnt pay for it, period. If they do, then ask a few questions about the improved cooler from those whove bought it, to see if it does what it says. Also, make sure that the price of the cooler is what youd expect to pay if you bought it yourself, with a small increase in cost. EVGA allows you to overclock all you want and comes with a lifetime warranty, and usually, these cards are the same as the oceed ones, just a stock cooler. If you wanted to add a better cooler, its also covered. Its up to you, but to me, its nothing I would pay for, unless, like I said, it comes with a better or quieter fan
April 19, 2008 5:43:17 AM

I personally have the 625MHz 8800GT from BFG, and I've overclocked it up to 675 GPU and IGHz memory with no problem; still gets no hotter than 68C after long hard gaming. Really the thing to remember about factory overclocked cards is this: The overclocked versions use the same GPUs as the non-OCd version, assuming you're talking about the same card of course. The difference is that every GPU is tested after manufacture, and some test better than others. These are binned as 'overclockable' and sold at a slightly higher price than those which tested at standard levels. That being said, paying a little more for a factory overclocked means you are getting one with more potential for overclocking. This doesn't necessarily mean your card is gonna break records for speed, but it'll have more ability than a standard one.

I've personally owned two BFG cards, both factory overclocked, and both still had much room left for my own personal overclocks. And with their lifetime warranty, as most major companies give, their a solid choice. I should point out, though, that as far as I know, NO manufacturer with give any warranty service to a card overclocked beyond the 'as sold' setting, and it says so in their material the cards come with. I doubt any company would give someone a new card if they tried to overclock it to a stupidly unreasonable level, even major ones like EVGA, so I'd have to disagree with jaydeejohn on that one. That's why they're 'limited' lifetime warranties. So I'd give the thumbs up to spending a reasonable amount more for a factory OC, and be careful with your personal overclocks, if you're doing any, and you'll be fine.
Related resources
April 19, 2008 5:45:30 AM

I agree. Some companies do provide better fans with their factory overclocked cards, and are thus worth the price. They also might have higher grade ram or some other item, so you need to check the specifications to make sure. Last of course, is that a factory overclocked card generally means that the card is gaurenteed to go that fast, while if you do it yourself, there is no gaurentee of additional speed.

All that said, I've only bought a factory overclocked card once. The rest I overclocked myself.
April 19, 2008 5:56:06 AM

People will say no,just OC it youre self but thats a 50/50,the thing might not OC worth crap.
I have a pair of XFX 8800gtx on water and temps are very low,and I still cant get them to 650mhz,but the OC versions can.
So yeah spend the Xtra 20.00 and you will have a better chance of getting a higher OC.
April 19, 2008 6:30:21 AM

http://www.newegg.com/product/ProductList.aspx?DEPA=0&t...
^ Are the two units that I'm trying to decide between. If I do get the more factory OC'ed version, I wouldn't get it from newegg, as it does not have a rebate for that particular card (wtf?). Buy.com does have a rebate, so it would only be $20 more. Is there any more info that you can give me, based on the two models that I'm showing you?

I'm also leaning towards the factory OC one because it still has the lifetime warranty on it. But then again, with the new SLI board I'm getting, I would be wanting to SLI them (8800GTs perform excellently under SLI, especially @ 1680x1050), but I've noticed that overclocked models are extremely hard to find later down the road. Is it possible to SLI an factory OC version with a stock version... with no real downside beside the obvious fact that one of them would be slower?
April 19, 2008 7:17:54 AM

Well if you get the factory OC,then later a stock one.You will either have to OC the stock one to match,or they will SLI at the lowest speed.
April 19, 2008 7:43:41 AM

Some have the opinion that factory OC card is manufactured with better quality component over stock one, but in fact is some brands are just don't. Some have the opinion that you can even oc higher with the factory oc card but in fact is not always, there's a 50/50 chance. Some have the opnion that for who is afraid to oc and void the warranty may consider to buy the factory oc one since you'll get an extra performance over oc one and covered by warranty but you have to pay extra too.

The main reason here is how many extra performance you'll gain from stock over factory oc one? and extra couples fps?
Finally, is an extra $20-50 worth the extra couples fps? You decide it yourself :) 

For me, I will just buy the factory oc card if it comes with better HSF that will effect the cooling performance better.
April 19, 2008 8:41:06 AM

While buying 8800gt, I wud be concerned more about the cooler than memory. And I don't think its worth $20 for that much overclock given cooler remains the same. And this is 65nm technology, so you can get a satisfactory overclock over stock itself. Presently MSI is the way to go.
April 19, 2008 2:01:06 PM

doomsdaydave11 said:
http://www.newegg.com/product/ProductList.aspx?DEPA=0&t...
^ Are the two units that I'm trying to decide between. If I do get the more factory OC'ed version, I wouldn't get it from newegg, as it does not have a rebate for that particular card (wtf?). Buy.com does have a rebate, so it would only be $20 more. Is there any more info that you can give me, based on the two models that I'm showing you?

I'm also leaning towards the factory OC one because it still has the lifetime warranty on it. But then again, with the new SLI board I'm getting, I would be wanting to SLI them (8800GTs perform excellently under SLI, especially @ 1680x1050), but I've noticed that overclocked models are extremely hard to find later down the road. Is it possible to SLI an factory OC version with a stock version... with no real downside beside the obvious fact that one of them would be slower?

For what its worth, at the cost of the factory overclocked 8800GT ($249.99), I'd spend the small amount extra and get the 8800GTS ($254.99), as the GTS is a a little more powerful and has a better, quieter fan. That's if you have the room in your case for a two slot card. If not, then the factory overclocked card for only an extra $20 seems like a fair price. But I'd still try to figure out a way to get the GTS into the case, as I like the quieter fan.
!