Sign in with
Your question

I think Im doing something wrong (Pics)

Last response: in Components
May 9, 2008 12:45:49 AM

See the cable that runs past all 3 of my pci slots making them unusable and under my video card too pushing on it slightly. Have I screwed up here or what? The input is labeled "12 V ATX" and the cable is labeled "CPU 1" and the 2nd head you see flopping freely off the same cable is "cpu 2".

Someone help please.

More about : wrong pics

May 9, 2008 1:01:40 AM

Looks like it is a bit short lol. If you dont want to but a new PSU cut the wires and add some length. Make sure you cover the exposed wire backup good. The CPU 2 is for boards with 8pin connectors. Its fine.

You could probably buy an extension cable online if you dont want to cut your cords. http://www.svc.com/cbl-extend-12v.html
May 9, 2008 1:06:43 AM

I really wouldnt know how to cut them lol. Stupid ass OCZ power supply. Otherwise I was quite happy with the PSU. Hope I never need PCI upgrades hahahah

OTherwise.. does it all look good?
Related resources
May 9, 2008 1:06:54 AM

no youve done right... its just that the cable on your psu is to short to do any different. you can get 4 and 8 pin cable extenders that will solve your problem though
May 9, 2008 1:32:45 AM

Im scared to turn it on still.. Im afraid I did something wrong and Ill hear a spark.. here we go tho.
May 9, 2008 1:37:44 AM

its all fine, get a cable to extend it so you dont have to do any cutting and all will be gud
May 9, 2008 1:53:21 AM

Crap! I just started it up and it restarted after 2 seconds.

WHAT NOW!? ahhh. Suggestions?
May 9, 2008 2:03:12 AM

RAM might not be installed right. Try taking it out and putting it back in.
May 9, 2008 2:08:56 AM

get a cable extender and then route the cable behind the motherboard tray by pushing it through the hole beside the psu, up the back, then back in through the hole at the top of the case, and then plug 'er in. You have your pci slots back, no pressure on vid card, and cabling looks better

While we're at it, just run as many of those psu cables to the back of the mb tray as you can. it will make everything look so much better.
May 9, 2008 2:13:47 AM

It resets then on the 2nd boot it goes into setup screens so I assume this is normal for a first boot up?

Problem is the CPU fan is rotating once every few seconds (struggling to even do that) and the hard drive is humming loudly.

I disconnected all case fans and still the noise persists from the HDD area.

My power supply is 600W and Im probably only using like 320Watts so I doubt its lack of power.

Any ideas?
May 9, 2008 2:16:01 AM

Your video card appears to have no power wire going to it, does it require one?
May 9, 2008 2:18:01 AM

Oh yes good catch but that is just an old picture. It has TWO PCI-E cables running too it... weird that the thing takes two IMO but theres two slots so I filled em both.

Any other ideas?
May 9, 2008 2:20:48 AM

What CPU do you have? The fan on my Freezer pro doesn't spin at idle for my e2200. When it boots up, it normally begins to spin and stops.

Oh, and what hard drive do you have?
May 9, 2008 2:21:55 AM

cpu might not be getting hot enough for the mb to turn on the fan. start something cpu intensive and see if it kicks on after it warms up. hard drive noise could be something or nothing. they normally don't hum, though, unless you're getting some serious resonance off of your case. normal noise is more like a super-fast clicking. make sure you don't have a cd in your optical drive, that can make noise.
May 9, 2008 2:41:44 AM

Ok thanks guys! I was over reacting I guess. Plugging it back in now.
May 9, 2008 2:58:16 AM

Also a few other things. A. find another way to get the cord up there, if you cant, get another power supply. b. its not smart to have the cpu fan blowing back into the case, your going to have heat issues sooner or later.
May 9, 2008 3:06:38 AM

Its working great! WAHOOOOOOOOO also its really quiet. Man Im so relieved! Installing Vista x64 now!
May 9, 2008 3:08:53 AM

blacksci said:
Also a few other things. A. find another way to get the cord up there, if you cant, get another power supply. b. its not smart to have the cpu fan blowing back into the case, your going to have heat issues sooner or later.

Isnt is normal to have the CPU fan blowing towards the back exit fan? How else would you set it up?
May 9, 2008 3:20:12 AM

Umm, good question, lemme see if my pro blows through the fins or away from them ill be back in a sec
May 9, 2008 3:23:59 AM

ok as i thought, my fan pulls air through the fins, and it exits out the side of the fan, check yours and make sure thats the case, who knows mebber some tard just set it up wrong with mine, but double check to make sure
May 12, 2008 5:07:54 AM

im gettin the same case, but a PC P&C 750w PSU w/ dual 8800gts.... i should probably just get the 8" extension now huh?
!