Sign in with
Your question

Easy tune 6 problems

Last response: in Motherboards
May 31, 2008 7:10:07 AM

Ok so I have a GA-MA790x-DS4 , when I install easy tune 5 with the cd it seems to work ok , some options grayed out. When I select update inside ET5 , it goes thru the motions , finishes updating then restarts. It reboots then come up with a GUI.dll error and wont let ET5 open , so I said eff it , uninstalled it and downloaded easy tune 6 from GB website. I install that , says reboot so I do , when it comes back into windows it bluescreens after it gets into windows every time , had to go into safemode and remove it. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? thank you for your time.

More about : easy tune problems

May 31, 2008 3:48:34 PM

Is there a particular function you like in ET?
Have you tried asking Gigabyte if your board is supported by ET6 at all?
May 31, 2008 9:27:39 PM

I like the pc health , and overclocking abilities. No I havent gonna do that right now.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 16, 2008 2:14:09 AM

I'm having the same issues with my UD3P MB.

I haven't found any link that tells how to solve the problem so I've emailed.

Have you figured this out yet?

January 17, 2009 10:42:36 AM

I have a UD3P MB with the same issue, anyone found a solution yet?
a c 177 V Motherboard
January 17, 2009 2:14:49 PM

Listen to Andrius; EasyTune is a buggy, poorly supported POC. Do you want to leave something as important as your basic overclock to a program probably written to spec in India, then translated to English by Taiwanese? No one sane even recommends doing anything but preliminary testing using something like MemSet, and it works... Do your OC in the BIOS - there's enough problems there to go around, why involve something intermediary whose user interface looks like a cartoon version of a kiddy tricycle dashboard?
January 17, 2009 5:51:04 PM

Yeah EasyTune is weird. This is why I don't use it:

I set my FSB from 266 to 280 in BIOS.
Increased FSB in ET (any increase really).
Everything seems fine, but if I play Grid it does a strange 1 second normal, 1 second slow (repeat). After about a minute BSOD.
Set FSB to 376 (or anything reasonable) in BIOS, stable, no such issue.

No idea what ET6 is doing different, but it's 100% repeatable. The slowdown is actually the same as a known issue in Grid, but it normally does it maybe once every 2 races, not once every 2 seconds.

One thing different between ET and BIOS, if you are overclocking, upping the fsb in the bios will make the "auto" voltage setting increase, so you need to take control of it.

If you can't trust an application 100% then you shouldn't give it control of such important things.
January 24, 2009 8:30:57 PM

I have exactly the same issue with Easytune 5 and grid. You can load defaults and all is fine even if ET is running. But overclock and it sslows every second
February 14, 2009 2:02:55 AM

I just got a new UD3P mobo and tried using easytune 6. There are all kinds of weird things happening. I have a 3 gig e8400 and the cpu speed keeps going between 2 gig and 3 gig in the menu. The core temps are way off compared to realtemp 3.

I am not really familiar with the BIOS yet so I may have some things in "auto" ramping the cpu speed up and down. In easytune 6 the processor multiplier seems to cycle between 6 and 9 which I don't understand. I think I am ditching this program and going with something more reliable to monitor my system. The only thing that seemed to work right was the smart overclocking feature. It brought my speed up to 3.6 gig when I tried it.

Is there something I need to take out of "auto" to stop the cpu from ramping up and down. I had an Asus board previous to this one and the BIOS was very different for overclocking. It didn't have near the amount of adjustments that this one does.
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 14, 2009 4:18:47 PM

Here is one part of the problem: there are three products; EasyTune 5, EasyTune 5 Pro, and EasyTune 6; most MOBOs are supported by only one of these - you can't just, thinking you are upgrading, pop in a different one; some (a very select few) will 'sorta' work with maybe two versions, and that's a very qualified 'sorta', because, to begin with, EasyTune, at its' best, only 'sorta' works. It's obviously way beyond the developers (probably the Elbonians) to keep the program/BIOS interface, which is really the 'heart' of the program's functionality, up to date; to make it able to discern MOBO/BIOS types, revisions, and levels; once a BIOS has been updated with a different register location/functionality - that part of EasyTune is forever broken - and you, the user, get to guess which part! Do your OC in the BIOS, and just junk it! The problem is (and this is endemic to the whole business, not just GB) that they are so busy/focused on next quarters' profits being dependent on new board releases (and just getting them working tolerably) chasing new technologies, that they don't really care about properly supporting the customers who already have their products, and are likely, through word of mouth (web) to pass along this failing to potential new cutomers, pre-purchase!
February 25, 2009 1:44:55 PM

So, other than doing a big square one wipe (which I will do if I have to) what is the best way to uninstall ET? Is this done in the bios itself by just deactivating it? Or is it a program that's found in the add/delete populous? I don't want to do what seems like the obvious, because frankly, that's why I elected to install the POC to begin with. :sarcastic: 

I will tell you another thing I have run into with good ol' ETcall.exe. It causes marginal latency issues. If you use DPC Checker, it's as simple as going from the yellow to the green with respect to minimal latency. The puter I just built is DAW dedicated so low latency for me on this machine is the name of the game.

Thanks For Your Help In Advance!
March 3, 2009 1:53:34 PM

Remove the POC Easy tune and clean out the registry with a registry cleaner....

OC it the old school way....
March 19, 2009 12:15:47 AM

The original ET software on my Gigabyte CD and the latest version of ET6 that I downloaded and use frequently works fine and stable for me on my EX58 UD5 in Vista 64bit.

Have you tried posting this problem or searched for it on the Gigabyte support forums?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 25, 2009 4:45:46 PM

Try AMD's OverDrive software.
May 11, 2009 6:14:16 PM

Lozza81 said:
The original ET software on my Gigabyte CD and the latest version of ET6 that I downloaded and use frequently works fine and stable for me on my EX58 UD5 in Vista 64bit.

Have you tried posting this problem or searched for it on the Gigabyte support forums?

Lozza81 - did you nstall the "GUI" enhancer before you installed ET6? I just finished a build with a x58 UD5 mother board and ET won't run at all under Vista Home Premium 64. Tried the new version off the Gigibyte website - still no joy. Essentially everything else works great.
May 13, 2009 4:52:50 PM

I also have the EX58 UD5 MB and just built my system last month. My reasoning for this build was to take advantage of overclocking capabilities without having to go to school and learn about it. Yes GB has made a MB with lots of possiblities but unless you know exactly what you are doing it's of no use. A friendly call to GB for some help in this area will quickly have you confused and bewildered because they don't have a clue what they are doing as far as tech support is concerned. I had some minor problems with my build and every call made to GB for support had me going in circles on wild goose chases. The "tech" had no idea what XMP was but supposedly was using the UD5 MB while we were speaking on the phone. He told me things like, "your processor multiplier is locked" and other things had had no idea about. Ultimately the "tech" was absolutely no help at all when it came to overclocking. It seems that overclocking is still something the "techies" and "geeks" are trying to keep to themselves. To this day I have been unable to find out any real helpful and understandable information regarding overclocking. I downloaded ET6 yesterday and to my surprise this is what I was looking for. Easy, UNDERSTANDABLE way to increase the performance of your computer without having to go to school or rely on someone who feels superior because of their PC knowledge. I'm sure someone here will have a good reason for not using something like this but until they can give a better answer than "you should do this only in the BIOS" I will continue to do so. I downloaded ET6, unzipped and installed it, and overclocked my Core i7 920 processor from 2.66 to 2.8 with the click of a button in less than 2 minutes (been trying to figure it out for a month now). No sitting down with a calculator and a page of math formulas to figure out just click and done. Computer runs great with no problems what-so-ever at 37C. Finally the manufacturers are listening to the average guy and are making things for us, now all we have to do is get these "geeks" onboard and quit telling us to do old fashioned, out dated things that require us to take night classes to do.

May 28, 2009 2:24:10 PM

DRSPyN,

First i want to say im not to impressed with easytune6. i uninstalled it. The BIOS is where u need to be doing your overclocking. the overclock that u achieved will not be noticable. Either default or Try this.

This is the basic (give and take )method to OC
Turn down your memory and HT speeds to about halfway this is going to allow more room in th FSB or Higher CPU clock.
Now use a balance formula of cpu multiply and fsb speed. U should at lease achieve 3.3 ghz. Once u find the desired CPU clock, monitor the CPU temps under full load ( know safe temps)

Now start creeping up the Memory clock until it is unstable,Then back off a step
do the same with the HT clock

if ur still not satisified,get a kickass heatsink and case and turn up the voltages
Fair warning! voltage = HEAT
I prefer auto or stock voltage

MY piece of crap
Asus A8N-E
AMD (939) 4200x2 default @2.2ghz --- OCed @ 2.8 ghz
4gigs ddr400 default @ 400mhz --------------- @ 333mhz
default HT 5x-----------------------------------------@ 3x
Default voltages
Vista home premium 64, Seagate 500g SATA2
EVGA 8800GTS OC 640mb, LG 22" 1680x1050
XFi- gamer , x540 Logitech 5.1 speakers

The CPU overclock increase definitly outweighed the memory and HT speed loss.
May 31, 2009 1:14:39 AM

Hello,

Helpful discussion. So I'm somewhat of a noob to overclocking but I know enough to use the unlocked CPU multiplier on my Phenom II x4 940 BE, but have only recently learned that the feature which I love on the AMD chipsets, Cool 'n Quiet, isn't all that complementary to overclocking the easy way on chips with unlocked multipliers, i.e. the Black Editions. Apparently setting the CPU multiplier to anything but "Auto" disables CnQ. And I really like the feature that powers down my processor when the system is idle, or doing light work. Saves energy, quiets the noise, and is a 'good thing'.

AMD Overdrive freezes my system every time I apply any settings. So I tried EasyTune6, which seemed to work very well, and the best part was that even with a specific CPU multiplier setting, along with upping the FSB and/or the CPU-NB ratio, Cool 'n Quiet remained enabled and working. Then I noticed that the overclock settings were only being applied to the first core, and the other three remained at their BIOS (at the time, stock) values.

What the heck is up with that? It was a Gigabyte tech who told me it only worked on the first core. I am trying to get a more solid answer from Gigabyte, but in the meantime I have resorted to just overclocking the BIOS, leaving CPU multi set to Auto, and am slowly cautiously upping the FSB, and then will back off on that and do the same with the Ratio. I can't understand why Gigabyte would knowingly release such a crippled product. . . certainly not publish it without so much as a readme or release notes warning users of the issue...
June 2, 2009 7:46:58 PM

Quote:
Try AMD's OverDrive software.

Overdrive has been unstable on every Ultra durable board I have tried it on it will work once then after restart it will fail to load. Fusion works nicely though.
June 2, 2009 8:19:40 PM

I was very happy to find out the other day about another very helpful tool which eliminates the need for Overdrive, EasyTune, and K10, if you want to keep CnQ enabled while overclocking. It is called the PhenomMsrTweaker, and the forum thread is at OCForums.

It's very easy to use and so far has been stable in my testing, currently my Phenom II 940 set to everything stock except the multiplier @ 16.5, for a 3300 processor. Going to see how far I can go just using this little program (it also runs as a service, very handy).
June 23, 2009 3:46:21 AM

interesting me thinks... ill try just to try.
July 10, 2009 4:55:47 PM

DrXpM said:
I will tell you another thing I have run into with good ol' ETcall.exe. It causes marginal latency issues. If you use DPC Checker, it's as simple as going from the yellow to the green with respect to minimal latency. The puter I just built is DAW dedicated so low latency for me on this machine is the name of the game.

Thanks For Your Help In Advance!

Latency! I'll bet this was the cause of a problem I had with EasyTune 6.. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261296-30-strange-iss...
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 10, 2009 5:03:37 PM

From a post yesterday at:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261133-30-bsod-mother...

"As for the 'hiccups', try this:
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml
This is a major problem in handling video streams; if the DPC (Deferred Procedure Call) queue gets too deep, you lose 'real time' response, and you get a 'hiccup'...
The tool checks the DPC response, shows you the approximate 'real-time' cost, and the cited page will show you some techniques for identifying and dealing with the 'misbehaving' thread...
Besides the TaskMgr, and the control panel 'Services' app, a good tool to find out what all crap is being loaded into your machine unbeknownst to you (and stop it) is:
http://www.glarysoft.com/qs.html
QuickStartUp from GlarySoft...
!