heatsink touching capacitors

kaisersoze

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
I just finished my first new build, but have concerns. I used a Thermaltake mini typoon heatsink on my C2Q6700 CPU, but due to the size of it’s base, it rests on a capacitor or two that is adjacent to the cpu socket(EVGA 780i mobo). If haven’t gone any further than installing the OS, and the bios is giving me a cpu temp of 27.

Is the fact that the heatsink rests on the capacitors cause for concern, and should I explore other alternatives, or is the low (idle) temp a good sign?

Secondly, if someone could point me in the right direction with regard to what my next step(s) should be (memory & stability testing, burn in, checking cpu temps under loads, etc) it would be very much appreciated.

kwanasek

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
1) Never complain about low CPU temps.
2) If the CPU does not overheat while working it under heavy load the cap is most likly not keeping the heat sink form making proper contact with the CPU.
3) If you don't plan on transporting your pc often don't worry about it. If you do plan to go to lan partieys you might want to switch heat sinks if there is reasonable risk of a heat sink fin edge rubbing into the cap.

4) To burn in the PC load it with a 3D game in pause, dvd playback, or meadia player audio playback with visuluations enabled. If your running windows you can check the CPU load by
[ctl]+[alt]+[del], select "task manager" and then "performance tab".

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Is it vertical clearance where the fins are on top of the capacitor's head, or touching against the side?

Side Solution : Turn off the system, grab ahold of the heatsink and apply a very very small amount of sideways pressure away from the capacitor in question. The moment it is clear, leave it alone and all is well.

Vertical : take a sheet of paper and put it under there to see just how tight the clearance is, if it is in fact resting on top, and you are not overheating, then leave it be, or take off heatsink and turn it 90 degrees to see if you gain the clearance necessary. use of a dremel to create a 1/16" gap or so. (DO NOT clearance a heat pipe, touching those is bad)

It happens from time to time, sometimes it is the motherboard manufacturer building different than intel's 'no build zone' or your heat sink may just be built to the limits and a hair further.

rsetter1

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
If its just fins touching the Capacitor remove the HSF and remove enough material from the fin(s) so you have an air gap between the fin and capacitor.

kaisersoze

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Thanks for the quick feedback -

It's not the fins that are making contact with the caps - the base of the heatsink is on top of the capacitors due to the angular orientation required for the heatsink's installation. I'm quite sure the heatsink is making proper contact with the cpu. I'm wondering if the heat that gets passed on to the caps via the heatsink will lead to premature degradation of the motherbaord, etc.

And I don't mean to sound like a hayseed here, but if you could elaborate (or suggest informative sites) on the burn in process, etc, it would be great. For example, when I check the cpu loads, what exatctly am I looking for?

Thanks again...