Sign in with
Your question

Problem upgrade to dual core. Need help!!!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 9, 2008 4:17:09 AM

I bought a used processor form ebay. Its a s939 Amd athlon 64 3800+ dualcore. I have a 3800+ singlecore that works perfectly but when i got the dualcore chip i put it in and turned on it posts and is detected by the bios but when its time to load up windows my computer just restart. I can't even get to safe mode, but I can get to safe mode with command prompt. I tried install a fresh windows with a new hard drive, setup just went about 20% and hung up, i got a error message said "system have to shut down to prevent damage..." something like that. Please help I need to know soon if the processor is DOA. Thanks in advance. also i am running windows xp pro SP2 and i have 2gb of ddr, my motherboard is Asus A8N SLI Premium. I already update the Bios to the latest version 1303. Please help!!!
Thanks
May 9, 2008 4:44:50 AM

Have you cleared CMOS and re-configured?
May 9, 2008 4:56:31 AM

Check your heatsink and fan to make sure it's on tightly and the fan is spinning. Go in to your BIOS and make sure the voltages are right too. When it says "system has shut down to prevent damage" usually means a heat issue.
Related resources
May 9, 2008 6:13:00 AM

typhoonyd said:
I bought a used processor form ebay. Its a s939 Amd athlon 64 3800+ dualcore. I have a 3800+ singlecore that works perfectly but when i got the dualcore chip i put it in and turned on it posts and is detected by the bios but when its time to load up windows my computer just restart. I can't even get to safe mode, but I can get to safe mode with command prompt. I tried install a fresh windows with a new hard drive, setup just went about 20% and hung up, i got a error message said "system have to shut down to prevent damage..." something like that. Please help I need to know soon if the processor is DOA. Thanks in advance. also i am running windows xp pro SP2 and i have 2gb of ddr, my motherboard is Asus A8N SLI Premium. I already update the Bios to the latest version 1303. Please help!!!
Thanks

Did you do a good job of cleaning the hsf and cpu, and a nice job on the new thermal interface material?
May 10, 2008 3:42:52 AM

Thx for all responding.
@ Mr Linux. Yes,I did clear CMOS and got everything back to defauft.
@ Leo 2kp. My heatsink is tight and the fan is spin. Im not sure about the voltage. My CPU voltage is 1.5V, is that right?
@ enyen. I did clean the cpu but not the hsf. I did apply new thermal paste, not sure I did a good job or not.
Thanks for all your answer. I will give it another shot and post back. If you guys have any new suggestion, please help me. So it means the cpu I just bought is good, right?
May 10, 2008 9:27:47 AM

typhoonyd said:
Thx for all responding.
@ Mr Linux. Yes,I did clear CMOS and got everything back to defauft.
@ Leo 2kp. My heatsink is tight and the fan is spin. Im not sure about the voltage. My CPU voltage is 1.5V, is that right?
@ enyen. I did clean the cpu but not the hsf. I did apply new thermal paste, not sure I did a good job or not.
Thanks for all your answer. I will give it another shot and post back. If you guys have any new suggestion, please help me. So it means the cpu I just bought is good, right?

If there was old paste on the hsf, that is your problem. Use rubbing alcohol to remove all the paste, then put as thin a layer as you possibly can on bothe.
May 11, 2008 6:27:46 AM

@endyen
I did it, although I have to run setup windows 3 times because it freeze up. I think my job on thermal paste still not good enough. Anyway I got my computer run now, its still suddenly restart sometimes. I will clean and put the paste again. Thank a lot for your advise .
May 11, 2008 12:40:36 PM

Do you possibly need a motherboard BIOS update?
May 11, 2008 12:45:02 PM

I did update Bios to latest version
!