Finally putting my new system together, no POST.

Lord Gornak

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
So I finally got together all of my parts for my new system, put everything together last night. I get normal fan operation from the PSU, CPU fan, and GPU fan, but no POST. My first guess was that I needed to flash my BIOS to support my Q6600. However on Gigabyte's website, they show that the Q6600 has been supported since BIOS version F1, the very first version of the BIOS. When I get home from work I'm going to go through the process of dropping to a single memory stick, switching it from slot to slot, switching out my video card, clearing CMOS, etc. In the meatime, does anyone have any other suggestions for something I may have overlooked? The only part I reused in this sytem is the video card, everything else is brand-spankin' new.

Q6600
Gigabyte GA-N650SLI-DS4L http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2679
2X1GB Geil DDR2 800
PCP&C Silencer 610
8800 GTS 640
(Not including DVD or HDs because I didn't install them yet and pretty sure they won't affect the POST process)

All connections are secure, 24 pin and 4 pin to mobo, and 6 pin to video card.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
The Keyboard Leds Light up when you power it ? If not probably Mobo problem. Take piece by piece and keep booting till they do. If the board never does it. Dead Mobo.

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Does the system beep at all while powering up??? The speaker IS connected??? The beep codes are as follows:

1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

Lord Gornak

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
Figured it out!!! Here were my troubleshooting steps.

Speaker was connected but no beeps, no display, just whirling fans, so I figured I try everything.

First I swapped out the video card, no go.

Then I tried swapping memory out and also different memory slots, no go.

Removed the CPU cooler to see if thermal paste had seeped around the CPU into the socket. I then noticed a spot on the CPU cooler H bracket on the rear side of the motherboard where the insulation material that prevents any metal on the bracket from touching the motherboard had rubbed off. It looked like it was touching several metal surfaces of the motherboard. Switched it out with a second H bracket with intact insulation that came included with another CPU cooler and it booted!!!

Thanks for your help everyone!