a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
December 8, 2009 1:53:13 AM

i just set up my new laptop and i am not being recorgnized as the administrator

More about : administrator computer

a b $ Windows 7
December 8, 2009 4:42:11 AM

we need a little more info than that...
is this a new install? If so than you should have set up the default account as admin.
If the OS came on the PC, then maybe your account is just a user account.
perhaps this link will solve your issues.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the...
m
l
December 8, 2009 3:52:31 PM

If you have to ask that question, I think you have your answer.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 8, 2009 4:22:36 PM

For security reasons, even accounts with Admin status run in "normal" mode. Should you perform an action which requires Admin permissions, on an Admin account you simply click "Yes" in the pop up if you're sure you want to do that. For a non-admin account, you will be prompted to provide the administrator's user ID and Password.

I highly recommend using the defaults because if you disable account protection or give yourself "Root" permissions through the superadmin account then any malware you might come across also has the same 'superadmin' permissions (because it's running in your environment, under your ID) you do.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 209 $ Windows 7
December 8, 2009 9:16:52 PM

As Scotteq mentioned, with UAC turned on in Vista or Win7, programs run without Administrator privileges by default. Most programs are smart enough to ask for elevated privileges when they need them, but some aren't. For those programs, instead of just double-clicking on the program icon or start menu entry, you have to right-click it and choose "Run As Administrator".

For example, if you open up a Command Prompt window and you need administrator privileges, you must run the window by right-clicking on the shortcut and choosing the "Run As Administrator..." option.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 9, 2009 2:43:48 PM

+1 Scotteq. It is dangerous to run everything as admin. This is why it is recommended on XP machines to set up a separate account and to avoid loggin on to the administrator account. Its a vulnerability issue.

UAC can be very annoying, but it could also save your ass as well.
m
l
December 10, 2009 11:37:58 AM

arges86 said:
we need a little more info than that...
is this a new install? If so than you should have set up the default account as admin.
If the OS came on the PC, then maybe your account is just a user account.
perhaps this link will solve your issues.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the...

I'm having a similar problem as above. I tried your fix, but am not being allowed to run the program as an administrator. There is not even a part to input a password.

I set my Win 7 computer up fine. Hooked it up to our work domain just fine. Set my own name and password as the administrator. A couple days later my computer didn't recognize the network drives although it DID communicate with Outlook fine. When I tried to re-map the network drives, I was told that my account did not have admin priviledges and to logon as an admin. I rebooted only to find that my windows logon is now just my own username rather than my username and domain. There is no other user on the computer, and when I log in I am not recognized as an admin.

Again, I tried the fix you mentioned, but I couldn't get past the admin required password.

Help!
m
l
December 11, 2009 11:35:29 AM

I tried to do that in the groups but again ran into the issue that I needed an admin upfront to affect those changes. What I am thinking is this, and tell me if this makes sense: my admin was moved when my logon name was assigned to the work domain. So now I login as (for instance) harold@work.local and password instead of just harold@(local computer). At that point, it would seem that my admin priviledges "moved" to the work domain but did NOT remain on the local computer domain, so that when I got bumped off of the work domain (from where I could effect admin changes) I'm left with a username that can NOT effect changes because it is no longer viewed as an admin...to make matters worse, the since the original admin was my main logon, there is no "backup" admin to logon with....I can't get on the domain because I don't have admin rights from the local computer side, and I can't log in as an admin because I'm not able to logon through the work domain side where I had admin rights...

That is the best I can figure it. Networking is not my forte, so I'm just beginning to get a handle on this all. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I think I'm left with a re-install over the weekend...bummer.
m
l
!