Access Denied

August 7, 2005 9:48:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Im administrator on my xp pro and I had problems with my xp. wont go
into all the long details but i basically got loads of bsod. I ended up
having to reinstall windows from scratch when I couldn't boot up
anymore. since then one one bsod problem.

luckily I had backed up the files in my doc to a folder in my external
hard drive. When I tried to copy them over again to my c drive my doc
some files could not be copied over. I tried opening them but I got
messages along the lines of "access denied" or "user does not have
access privileges". I remember setting some of the file to encrypt via
the properties option. Does this seem to be causing the problem? I tried
unchecking the encrypt and applying changes but xp wouldn't allow this.

Anyone got any suggestions? I seem to be locked out of my own files!!

PLEASE HELP!

thanks

xZx

More about : access denied

August 7, 2005 9:48:31 PM

xZx wrote:

> Im administrator on my xp pro and I had problems with my xp. wont go
> into all the long details but i basically got loads of bsod. I ended up
> having to reinstall windows from scratch when I couldn't boot up
> anymore. since then one one bsod problem.
>
> luckily I had backed up the files in my doc to a folder in my external
> hard drive. When I tried to copy them over again to my c drive my doc
> some files could not be copied over. I tried opening them but I got
> messages along the lines of "access denied" or "user does not have
> access privileges". I remember setting some of the file to encrypt via
> the properties option. Does this seem to be causing the problem? I tried
> unchecking the encrypt and applying changes but xp wouldn't allow this.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions? I seem to be locked out of my own files!!
>
> PLEASE HELP!
>
> thanks
>
> xZx

If you encrypted the files then reinstalled XP, the encrypted files
cannot be read unless you backed up the encryption key. The key is not
backed up when you backup files - you have to go through a separate
process to backup the key. It doesn't sound like you did so basically
those files are lost to you.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You encrypted the data?
Did you also back-up the necessary keys BEFORE reinstalling?
If not, your data may be effectively gone forever as they can not be
recreated afterwords.

See the links near the bottom of this page for ways to help prevent data
loss in the future:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"xZx" <Zankhnax@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Im administrator on my xp pro and I had problems with my xp. wont go into
> all the long details but i basically got loads of bsod. I ended up having
> to reinstall windows from scratch when I couldn't boot up anymore. since
> then one one bsod problem.
>
> luckily I had backed up the files in my doc to a folder in my external
> hard drive. When I tried to copy them over again to my c drive my doc some
> files could not be copied over. I tried opening them but I got messages
> along the lines of "access denied" or "user does not have access
> privileges". I remember setting some of the file to encrypt via the
> properties option. Does this seem to be causing the problem? I tried
> unchecking the encrypt and applying changes but xp wouldn't allow this.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions? I seem to be locked out of my own files!!
>
> PLEASE HELP!
>
> thanks
August 7, 2005 10:03:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi

Please see if the following article helps:

"How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP"

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"xZx" <Zankhnax@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Im administrator on my xp pro and I had problems with my xp. wont go into
> all the long details but i basically got loads of bsod. I ended up having
> to reinstall windows from scratch when I couldn't boot up anymore. since
> then one one bsod problem.
>
> luckily I had backed up the files in my doc to a folder in my external
> hard drive. When I tried to copy them over again to my c drive my doc some
> files could not be copied over. I tried opening them but I got messages
> along the lines of "access denied" or "user does not have access
> privileges". I remember setting some of the file to encrypt via the
> properties option. Does this seem to be causing the problem? I tried
> unchecking the encrypt and applying changes but xp wouldn't allow this.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions? I seem to be locked out of my own files!!
>
> PLEASE HELP!
>
> thanks
>
> xZx
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 10:56:34 PM

Will Denny wrote:
> Hi
>
> Please see if the following article helps:
>
> "How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

Hi

I tried that already but I don't have the "Replace owner on
subcontainers and objects check box".

xZx
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 11:05:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi

does anyone else get a BSOD when hibernating or when the system goes
into standby? I get the following:

A wait operation, attach process or yield was attempted from a dpc routine.

STOP: 0x000000B8(0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000)

I had this problem along with Driver IRQ BSOD problem before. In the end
it wouldn't let me boot so I formatted drive (to NTFS again and deleted
any excess partitions) and reinstalled xp pro. so far its been ok expect
the above BSOD when I set my laptop to hibernation or it enters standby
mode.

I have looked at soo many sites (through google) I feel like im going
cross-eyed!

Your my last resort! Please help.

xZx
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 11:13:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 18:03:55 +0100, Will Denny wrote
(in article <uGRaBI3mFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>):

> Hi
>
> Please see if the following article helps:
>
> "How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

William,

You've missed the pertinent word here - "encrypt". If the OP didn't back up
the encryption key (which he obviously didn't or he wouldn't be asking the
question) then he's SOL. There wouldn't be much point in encrypting files if
anyone could then access them by simply taking ownership! ;o)
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 11:16:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 18:56:34 +0100, xZx wrote
(in article <11fciqgnakv2f9f@corp.supernews.com>):

> Will Denny wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Please see if the following article helps:
>>
>> "How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
>>
> Hi
>
> I tried that already but I don't have the "Replace owner on
> subcontainers and objects check box".
>
> xZx

That's because you encrypted them. Encryption would be pointless if anyone
could access the files by simply taking ownership. Unless you backed up the
encryption key (which you obviously didn't, or you wouldn't be asking the
question) you're SOL as Windows generates a new key on every reinstallation.
In future, never encrypt unless you're aware of the consequences of losing
the key!
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 12:54:24 AM

xZx wrote:
> Im administrator on my xp pro and I had problems with my xp. wont go
> into all the long details but i basically got loads of bsod. I ended up
> having to reinstall windows from scratch when I couldn't boot up
> anymore. since then one one bsod problem.
>
> luckily I had backed up the files in my doc to a folder in my external
> hard drive. When I tried to copy them over again to my c drive my doc
> some files could not be copied over. I tried opening them but I got
> messages along the lines of "access denied" or "user does not have
> access privileges". I remember setting some of the file to encrypt via
> the properties option. Does this seem to be causing the problem? I tried
> unchecking the encrypt and applying changes but xp wouldn't allow this.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions? I seem to be locked out of my own files!!
>
> PLEASE HELP!
>
> thanks
>
> xZx

Okay...

thanks to everyone who replied. I wasn't aware that when you back up the
file the encryption wouldn't be backed up as will. Oh well I guess ill
have to spend another few weeks of late nights!

btw what does SOL and OP mean?

xZx

ps is there anyway in which I can use a third-party software to decrypt
them? might be worth a shot if possible.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 12:54:25 AM

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 20:54:24 +0100, xZx wrote:

> btw what does SOL and OP mean?

SOL: ____ out of luck
OP: original poster
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

xZx wrote:

>> xZx
>

> Okay...
>
> thanks to everyone who replied. I wasn't aware that when you back up the
> file the encryption wouldn't be backed up as will. Oh well I guess ill
> have to spend another few weeks of late nights!
>
> btw what does SOL and OP mean?
>
> xZx
>
> ps is there anyway in which I can use a third-party software to decrypt
> them? might be worth a shot if possible.

No, there is no third party solution. If if could be cracked that way,
encryption wouldn't be of much use.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

xZx wrote:
> Im administrator on my xp pro and I had problems with my xp. wont go
> into all the long details but i basically got loads of bsod. I ended up
> having to reinstall windows from scratch when I couldn't boot up
> anymore. since then one one bsod problem.
>
> luckily I had backed up the files in my doc to a folder in my external
> hard drive. When I tried to copy them over again to my c drive my doc
> some files could not be copied over. I tried opening them but I got
> messages along the lines of "access denied" or "user does not have
> access privileges". I remember setting some of the file to encrypt via
> the properties option. Does this seem to be causing the problem? I tried
> unchecking the encrypt and applying changes but xp wouldn't allow this.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions? I seem to be locked out of my own files!!
>
> PLEASE HELP!
>
> thanks
>
> xZx

I understand the point of encryption and the benefits but surely there
should have been some literature or pop up or something that should warn
people of the dangers beforehand? Oh well at least know I know something
that I didn't before!

I think in the future I will use a third-party encryption software on a
removable disc instead.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help!

Zankhna
!