AMD 5000+ black edition overheat without overclocking

coldwinter

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Hi, I upgraded my system to a AMD X2 5000+BE + Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H, I was planning to overclock the cpu but ironically now I have to downclock it to get it stable. The cpu running at stock speed @2.6 was too hot and was not able to finish prime95 stress test, the temperature climbed over 100 C and the system just shut down. I am forced to downclock it to 2.3 and even that the cpu is running at ~105 C under full load, I think this is crazy. The HSF is a cooler master (don't quite remember the model, if I remember correct it's got TX in the name) and its max spin rate is around 2400rpm. I suspect the HSF is not properly installed. If I am to reinstall it, how do I go about doing that? I have never tried to install a cpu and fan before. Btw, the temp at idle is 40+C.

ruffus999

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
I'm basically having the same problem. I have a AMD X@ 5000+BE on a Gigabyte board. I believe my board is just an S2. Worked fine for a long time then all of a sudden it's overheating. To the same degree as yours but mine hasn't shut itself down. Mine also idles at 40c. Initially I was thinking it was a heat sensor problem but that is still to be determined.
Reinstalling the CPU is rather simple. It's a matter of removing the HS (I'm assuming your HS did not come with the CPU). But with mine, you just unscrew the HS and lift it off. Some HS are mounted by just being clipped in. I'm thinking you're just wanting to install a new Heatsink (HS)? If so, then clean off the Thermal paste from both the CPU and the bottom of the HS. Reapply a thin layer of thermal paste to the CPU and evenly cover it. Place the HS back over the CPU and seat it. This link should explain it better then what I can.
http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_cpu.htm

Try flashing the bios to the latest version (which might explain the sensor readings being out) after checking the HSF is greased and seated properly.

Are you both experiencing hot weather over there at present ?

The delta on your core shouldn't go beyond about 15 to 15 degrees beyond the ambient at idle ... so if it is 30 outside ... 42 is ok.

The better the HSF the lower the delta obviously.

If the sensors are reading correctly and the stock HSF is working well these shouldn't go much higher than 50 under load ... surely ... not much.

These will run fine under load up to 60 or so ... but then you get stability problems. Better to get them to run cooker by working on a few things.

Make sure the case cabling inside is tidy, and the fans are all working well, and the rear of the case isn't against a wall or anything.

You could buy a decent aftermarket cooler ... which will help.

Unless your working the cpu hard by gaming heavily I can't see why you need a better fan.

These chips usually run quite cool when stock and overclock well.

It would be odd to get a bad one ... rarely hear of 5000+ cpu's running hot.

Keep us posted on how things go !!

Check some of the other tips on any recent threads on rigs running hot ... many of the old timers here posted some great stuff you can use.

Cheers.

coldwinter

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
@MrsBytch
I had a shop installed that for me, and I think they will charge me again if I ask them to reinstall for me.

I think I will try to reinstall the hsf myself another day. Is the fan @2400rpm too slow? Because I know that even some fans come with the cpu can spin @4000 rpm.

I just graduated from college and therefore don't have much to spend, If I have to buy a better hsf, I think that will be after I have got a job.

Btw, I'm living in Singapore and the room temp can be over 30C in the afternoon, but cpu temp over 100C is still crazy. Thank you everyone for your reply.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
If you had a "shop" install the HSF, they need to do it again for free or refund your money. Simply put they did not test their work.

The HSF you have is just fine if you system is not OC'd.
The BE-5000 is generally a cool running chip.

While your room is warm, it's only an extra 5-6C more than most places.
The result is a CPU about 5-6C more than normal.

Yours is running 50+C more than normal.

theforgotten

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
thinking wrong sensor readings? Ever heard of coretemp? My old pc's mobo registered 70c idle whe it was actually 32c on a 3600+ 65nm lol

coldwinter

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
The main problem is actually traveling from where I live to that store takes about 2 hour round trip, and I don't feel like carrying the mb on a mass transit. I upgraded my system there because it's inside an IT complex so I have lots of choices, but I don't really want to go through it again.

I will take this as an opportunity to learn to do it myself, I will be away for around 2 weeks, and I will keep you guys updated once I'm back, you guys are great.

edited: @the forgotten
Yes, I'm measuring with coretemp, and the problem is the computer shuts down by itself so I think it's really overheating.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
If the CPU were really running at 105C it would have died a long time ago. The thermal spec for the majority of Athlon X2s is about 65C and I'd expect the X2 5000BE to be similar.

-mcg

Primus462

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
MY 5000+ BE defaulted to 2.8GHz out of the box. Right now my room is about 72C. At idle, the CPU is around 40C. Under load it hits 56C. I thought my temp was high, but 105C? That doesn't even seem possible without it melting.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005

Umm... you're confusing Celsius with Fahrenheit. If your room temperature were 72C *YOU* would have died a long time ago.

-mcg

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
It almost has to be a sensor issue, I cant believe it would even try to run at anything over 70C. But I would say definitely try re-seating the HSF first.

Re-seating the Heatsink is a fairly straight forward process, however, you will need to get some heatsink grease, thermal compound, it has many names. A couple of recomended brands would be Arctic Silver 5 or Ceramique as well as Arctic Cooling MX-2. I am looking for a video that does a good job of showing how to do it, but Im having problems with the web filter at work. I will do some more searching when I get home and see if we cant get you fixed up.

coldwinter

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
*Update*

I have tried reseating the HSF, I couldn't get the arctic silver thermal compound so I got a CoolerMaster PTk-002 instead. The problem still remains, do you think I should buy a new hsf? If so, which should I get?

When I was applying the thermal compound I followed some instruction on the internet to spread it on the chip, but I just couldn't spread them nicely and uniformly. Is it ok just to apply the thermal compound on the center and slap the hsf on? And after all this has been done, can I immediately turn on the computer and run some stress test? Or do I have to wait for things to settle down a bit?

edited: I would like to do a little overclocking 200~300Mhz, please advise a good hsf for this purpose

cyclometric

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
I, too, have the GA-MA78GM-S2H, and the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+, and I have the 4 GB "Upgrade" Memory kit from OCZ, which is 2 chips @ 2 GB each, DDR2 800. The case is a Thermaltake Lanbox, which is fairly compact, and maybe a consideration in all this. Also, the small board size means that two-thirds of the HSF sits directly under the power supply, with about an 1.5 inches between the top of the HSF to the bottom of the PS. Maybe that effect is not good for cooling (I dunno?!) HSF is a CoolerMaster Vortex 752, and is running at 2368 rpm, fixed. I have disabled both the CPU Smart Fan Control, and AMD Cool & Quiet functionality in the BIOS, per the recommendations at the "http://www.overclock.net/amd-general/307316-offical-overclocking-guide-amd-socket-am2.html" that I've been studying, but otherwise, I am not overclocking at all (not yet... not with the heat problems I'm having!)

At idle, the temps are as such (per Hardware Monitor):
MB:
TMPIN0 38°C TMPIN1 47°C TMPIN2 92°C
CPU: core #0 34°C core #1 30°C
GPU: 56°C

The other monitoring tools report pretty much the same temps (CoreTemp, Everest, & AMD Overdrive). Idle temps have been stable since I first built the machine and installed Vista Home Premium.

But in the last month or so, and particularly in the last 2 days, almost anytime the CPU gets under heavy load, the temps on the CPU & TMPIN's rises super high, and super fast, and I end up with a thermal shutdown. (Admittedly better than a totally fried system!!)

Since March, I have done many hours of intensive video encoding, with the CPU under heavy load and performing very satisfactorily.
The overheating perhaps has something to do with my upgrading the BIOS to F4 or even F3, but that might be a coincidence.

Any suggestions? I am at the point where I think I need to reseat the HSF, to make sure the thermal paste is well applied, but I think I might need a bigger better fan -- or could this problem be in the NB and/or SB chips overheating and not the CPU? I suspect the CPU myself, because last time I heard the overheat warning from the system, I had time to launch Hardware Monitor and saw the CPU temp reported as high as 100 C, and the TMPIN2 temp made it up to 125 C or something insane like that?

Which raises another question -- I had heard that those TMPIN0 & TMPIN1 were actually the CPU temps, and TMPIN2 was the actual MB temp -- which seems preposterous, or just guilty of an incredibly inaccurate monitoring system.

When I killed the program that was cranking on the CPU, the temps came down, pretty quickly at that.

Any help greatly appreciated. I'm not new to computers, but am a medium-novice when it comes to the deep down hardware issues.

Thank you,

Will in Palm Springs
(and yes, the computer is in an air-conditioned room, grin)

smulla

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
I have the exact same specs and my computer would shut down randomly the computer were I bought my computer which is a small boutique store did not install the proper heatsink. My recommendation is get another cooler that has copper pipes because the AMD black edition does overheat get another brand and try two or different fans if it does not work. The computer would run great for 30 minutes but when it is under load playing a game speedfan reported that the cpu was exceeding 110C and then the computer would shut down it did that everytime.

I have a GA-MA69VM-S2 and 5000+ black edition unfortunately I am not able to overclock easily because the motherboard is not really that great I managed to get 12.5 clock multiplier and 224 which gave me 2.8GHZ and it runs fine now after I drove to the company and they replaced the fan.

Specs:
XQPack 2
4 GB of ram
LG superdrive
amd dual core fan
5000+ black editon processor
320 GB hitachi Drive.

vcblogger

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Hi i am having the same problem with my rig.

my specs are as follows :

AMD X2 5400+
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
Sapphire 3450 Graphics Card
2GB Ram

Using CPUID HW Monitor, i have the following temps...

Temperature sensor 0 38°C (100°F) [0x26] (TMPIN0)
Temperature sensor 1 75°C (166°F) [0x4B] (TMPIN1)
Temperature sensor 2 102°C (215°F) [0x66] (TMPIN2)

My TMPIN2 is boiling hot even at room temperature with no overclocking.
Is tmpin2 the Northbridge? My PC noiw shuts down by itself as and when it gets too hot...

i am beginning to feel regret buying this motherboard..

AncientSword

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
I would just buy a good quality fan or large heatsink with heatpipes. I have a 5000+BE running at 3200 with a Zalman 9500LED. Runs great and it is totally stable. If you have a compact case a Zalman CNPS8000 is the way to go. I have one of those on my OC Intel E7200@3200 and it is in a Thermaltake Lanbox (for traveling to game.)

You can get these on e-bay for a good price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zalman-CNPS9500-LED-CPU-Cooler-Refurb_W0QQitemZ350080586724QQihZ022QQcategoryZ80147QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

poisonworm

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
You know...most of these seem to be Gigabyte boards....maybe the Bios is messed on the sensor readings....i'm going to try flashing back...

poisonworm

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Hmm...found the source of my problem it seems. I saw on some other forum that the gigabyte 780G boards are notorious for overvolting the CPU under load. I've cut my voltage to 1.25 in the Bios, and it's hovering between 1.28 and 1.33V now, and no overheating.

for reference, it WAS pushing up to 1.36V

Now, my MAIN issue is likely my Northbridge. It's hovering at 84*C Idle right now...that's what I figure the MAIN problem is. For now, however, it's stable.

epiccentury

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
It's a sensor problem. If you're using Speed Fan or a similar program to monitor the Temperature, then you need to set the offset to 25. This will give you the correct temperature displayed.

Open the case and put your hand on the heat sink, you should be able to tell if it's too hot or not.

My 5400 Black Box runs at 84 F for the most part, in a room that has an air temperature of 80 F.

Depending on what Motherboard you use, the manufacturer may have including some software to monitor temperatures. Use that as a calibrator for your third party software.

You should be able to over clock to 3.8 at 58 C on an AMD LE 1600 OEM cooler. A third party cooler shoudl be able to achieve a far lower temperature. Around 45 C.

jaques

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Dear all,

My experience with Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2 and AMD X2 5000+ CPU is:

1) Overheat is a process. The CPU gets hotter and turns the ambient hotter then the CPU gest hotter again and
the spiral continues. It is necessary to cut this process from the beginning.

2) More case ventilation, duct and a bigger case did not solve CPU temperature problem.

3) Changing for a better thermal paste with more conductivity (more silver) did not solve.

4) Changing for a better cooler (Buffalo HPFA - 10025) solved the problem. The CPU temperature stabilized at 38 to
39 degrees Celcius.

5) CPUID Hardware Monitor TMPIN2 is the CPU temperature (comparing with EasyTune5 from AMD) and TMPIN0 is the system (NorthBridge temperature). I guess TMPIN1 is the SouthBridge temperature.

Good computing to you,

Jaques

barjebus

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I suffer from this problem as well. Setup:

GA-M51GM-S2G motherboard
AMD 5000+ X2 Athlon
4gb of ram
550 W Ultra PSU

My CPU hits 80 C under load within a couple minutes of being under load. This sums up the last two months:

I will try to make this short. Here is my story:

-I have had this setup for 2 years now until a bug or virus in windows where processes would grab 50% cpu and hold it (even notepad and calculator would do this). If you closed the process, it just started up on another one. If this happened and I didn't notice (i.e. it did it to a background application) after a bit of time, my temperature alarm would go off. I only have a HS (I don't know the brand, but I paid around 35$ for it and put the thermal paste on myself, etc.), and no fans, just an open case. I re-installed windows, problem solved.
-Then my power supply fan dropped down a bit and began smacking the casing. I cut out the bottom of the casing to stop this.
-My 7900 GTX graphics card started acting really funny (random colored dots on the screen) so I RMA'd it and got an 8800 GTS 512mb one.
-Now this problem has started again when the CPU is under load. I went out and bought a 120mm Antec TriCool fan, and an 80mm and closed my case up, and installed the 120mm fan as an exhaust at the back and the 80mm as an intake on the side, aiming directly at the HS. This seems to have done absolutely nothing. Both fans are on their highest setting, and I hit 80 C under load on the CPU according to the bios, and multiple temperature sensor programs. If I close the programs that make it go under load, the temperature drops 10 C within 15 seconds.

I am not overclocking. I have a fairly strong feeling that the PSU is to blame. Its been really clunkly lately, and although its got enough amps for the 8800 GTS, it runs extremely hot at times. The exhaust goes directly onto the HS itself which complicates matters. The PSU itself is so hot that I can't touch it. Why is this happening? Do I just need to reseat my HS, or buy a new one? My case doens't have anymore room for fans.

Poncho702

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I believe that I had the same overtemp issue on a pair of Foxconn boards. I have AMD X2 3800+ and have not had a problem for over a year of running. Both machines have similar software builds and I was not thinking in terms of overtemp until just recently. I had a Coolmax PS fan failure, but it did not shutown the MB. The found that the fan bearings had partially seased. I found that Coolmax is a very cheap PS, regardless of their ratings, and their fans don't last much outside of a year. Tech support would not give me a sorce for the fan, so I replaced it with a 120mm Thermaltake fan and problem solved, or so I thought. I still was having blue screens and lockups, but the CPU temp never reads in excess of normal. I proceeded to replace the PS with a Thermaltake dual fan model with higher flow just in case the PS was damaged. I still got blues and locks. I have since turned off the smart fan interface and the problem seems to be resolved. I turned to AMD for a warranty return on the fan, but they are less than co-operative, regardless of the three year warranty. I have since replaced the fan with a Zalman and said good-bye to the blues and locks.

wardom

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Hi Guys.
I use this motherboard.with f4Bios

Have same problem.its very hot with AMD 5200+
Now I use Sunbeam contact freezer 2

When I start any game or orthos stress test.Cpu temp is ping. 38C-42C-56C-70C-15C-90 C-100 C :eek:
Northbridge is every time realy hot I see it 106 C

I guess sensors wrong read.When My pc shutdown I touch to contact freezer its cold.But northbride is burn my finger. is it same ?

I dsabled to restart when hight temp on bios but its still shutdown.I dont know what is wrong :(

I dont buy next time gigbyte product.Realy I hate it.Its my first AMD system

TRENDING THREADS