Overclocking and RAM question!

scurvy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
I have a C2D E6750 CPU , an Asus P5K-E mobo and DDR2 800 Kingston Value RAM. I tried Ocing the RAM but system becomes unstable when ram speed becomes around 840 or so.
just wondering in this article they have OCed these same RAM by upping the voltage to 2v.
http://anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=3476&p=2

I would like to know how high are the risks of burning the RAM if I up the voltage and when will I know exaclty at what point I should do this???
And will there be any problems for the CPU running the RAM at 2v?

Or should I just go and get some high end RAM?? Like OCZ reaper 1066???

Thanks in advance.
Scurv

m_silkstone

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Most ram should be ok upto 2.1v, confirmation anyone?

There isn't much point oc'ing your ram if your only going to get a few extra mhz out of it.
Is your ram 4-4-4 or 5-5-5?
Also some ram just won't overclock.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Yeah...most are rated up to 2.1 or 2.2. Some void the warranties over those voltages.

I am confused about overclocking the RAM - did you OC the CPU as well? Most of the time you try to keep these in a ratio to one another (1:1 if possible).

Overclocking your RAM will net you very, very little real world performance gain. Most memory is sensitive to overclocking, and over volting as well. You can fry a new stick of memory pretty fast if you raise the voltage by even very slightly too much.
The key to improved performance is to overclock your proscessor, and use the dividers to keep your memory running at stock.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Yep...that was my point exactly. I didn't understand why someone would be overclocking the RAM unless it is to keep it in a ratio to the CPU. The CPU overclock will get you more performance.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Since he says it gets unstable "around 840 or so" I assume he's slowly bumping up the FSB frequency. Whether or not he know he's overclocking his CPU in the process is another question...

Anywho 2.0V is nothing for DDR2. In reality you could probably go a lot higher than that without frying it but I've never had any reason to exceed 2.1V to reach my coveted 800MHz 4-4-4-12.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Knotknut - that was what I was trying to figure out as well. Unless you're really pushing that CPU, you would probably still be OK with your RAM at standard 400.