XP Repair Installation

As reported, I couldn't get new Windows Update to work
because of invalid product key, so I bit the bullet on
it and did what I believe is called Repair Installation
on my spare hard drive/XP/SP2. It ran fine, accepted
the product key I gave it, and validated okay. I was
surprised to find that all my files and folders survived,
and the new Windows Update as well. I intend to make this
my new Master OS.

All my application folders, and Program Files are there,
but I prefer not to go to the effort of reinstalling them
all, one at a time and making desktop icons. During XP
installation, it talked about System Tools Folder and
Settings Transfer Wizard, suggesting that as the right
way to do it. I'm prepared to run the old drive as Master
and the newly reactivated drive as Slave, to get whatever
can be transferred, over to the new drive. I didn't find
the onboard info on Files and Settings Xfer Wiz awful easy
to follow; maybe there's a KB article on it. May I have
your good advice on this?
Thank you.

William B. Lurie
14 answers Last reply
More about repair installation

    Open the wizard,set as old computer,select files,settings for it to save,save
    the data in a new folder that you create,once its thru,transfer the data
    folder
    to a cd.With the cd,set as new computer in the wizard,browse to cd folder,the
    cd gives you a backup as well.

    billurie@nospam.org wrote:
    > As reported, I couldn't get new Windows Update to work
    > because of invalid product key, so I bit the bullet on
    > it and did what I believe is called Repair Installation
    > on my spare hard drive/XP/SP2. It ran fine, accepted
    > the product key I gave it, and validated okay. I was
    > surprised to find that all my files and folders survived,
    > and the new Windows Update as well. I intend to make this
    > my new Master OS.
    >
    > All my application folders, and Program Files are there,
    > but I prefer not to go to the effort of reinstalling them
    > all, one at a time and making desktop icons. During XP
    > installation, it talked about System Tools Folder and
    > Settings Transfer Wizard, suggesting that as the right
    > way to do it. I'm prepared to run the old drive as Master
    > and the newly reactivated drive as Slave, to get whatever
    > can be transferred, over to the new drive. I didn't find
    > the onboard info on Files and Settings Xfer Wiz awful easy
    > to follow; maybe there's a KB article on it. May I have
    > your good advice on this?
    > Thank you.
    >
    > William B. Lurie

    You'll still have to reinstall each and every application and game
    anyway, in order to recreate the hundreds (possibly thousands) of
    registry entries and to replace the dozens (possibly hundreds) of
    essential system files back into the appropriate Windows folders and
    sub-folders.

    The FAST wizard is useful for transferring data files and some
    user-specific settings. It cannot move applications.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > billurie@nospam.org wrote:
    >
    >> As reported, I couldn't get new Windows Update to work
    >> because of invalid product key, so I bit the bullet on
    >> it and did what I believe is called Repair Installation
    >> on my spare hard drive/XP/SP2. It ran fine, accepted
    >> the product key I gave it, and validated okay. I was
    >> surprised to find that all my files and folders survived,
    >> and the new Windows Update as well. I intend to make this
    >> my new Master OS.
    >>
    >> All my application folders, and Program Files are there,
    >> but I prefer not to go to the effort of reinstalling them
    >> all, one at a time and making desktop icons. During XP
    >> installation, it talked about System Tools Folder and
    >> Settings Transfer Wizard, suggesting that as the right
    >> way to do it. I'm prepared to run the old drive as Master
    >> and the newly reactivated drive as Slave, to get whatever
    >> can be transferred, over to the new drive. I didn't find
    >> the onboard info on Files and Settings Xfer Wiz awful easy
    >> to follow; maybe there's a KB article on it. May I have
    >> your good advice on this?
    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> William B. Lurie
    >

    > You'll still have to reinstall each and every application and game
    > anyway, in order to recreate the hundreds (possibly thousands) of
    > registry entries and to replace the dozens (possibly hundreds) of
    > essential system files back into the appropriate Windows folders and
    > sub-folders.
    >
    > The FAST wizard is useful for transferring data files and some
    > user-specific settings. It cannot move applications.

    Thank you, Bruce, for the bad news. In reading the many pages of
    description of the wonderful features of XP (and many wondrous
    featured it does have) I got the impression that it was designed
    to do what I'm asking. To reinstall many of the applications
    (notably Symantec products) it is virtually impossible.

    Let's look at my situation in a different light: I have a fine
    XP OS that is just what I want in every way, except that the
    new WU security doesn't like my product key. But I have another
    product key which worked fine with the newly-installed OS. Instead
    of the impossible task of reinstalling a zillion applications in
    the new OS, I would be happy to simply reach into the complete OS
    with the bad product key, and change its key to the one which has
    been proven acceptable. The KB articles which I have seen on this
    are 'iffy' as to whether they will work with SP2, and there's a
    question as to whether this inherited OS is Corporate or what.
    (328874, for example, is four pages long and I have problems
    with it).

    William B. Lurie

    In the past, I was in a similar situation and was able to change the key
    using a program named Magic Jelly Bean Keyfinder. Weird name but it works.

    Just click on Options and then Change Windows Key. Type in the key and click
    on Change.
    --
    That's just like my opinion, Man........

    "billurie@nospam.org" wrote:

    > As reported, I couldn't get new Windows Update to work
    > because of invalid product key, so I bit the bullet on
    > it and did what I believe is called Repair Installation
    > on my spare hard drive/XP/SP2. It ran fine, accepted
    > the product key I gave it, and validated okay. I was
    > surprised to find that all my files and folders survived,
    > and the new Windows Update as well. I intend to make this
    > my new Master OS.
    >
    > All my application folders, and Program Files are there,
    > but I prefer not to go to the effort of reinstalling them
    > all, one at a time and making desktop icons. During XP
    > installation, it talked about System Tools Folder and
    > Settings Transfer Wizard, suggesting that as the right
    > way to do it. I'm prepared to run the old drive as Master
    > and the newly reactivated drive as Slave, to get whatever
    > can be transferred, over to the new drive. I didn't find
    > the onboard info on Files and Settings Xfer Wiz awful easy
    > to follow; maybe there's a KB article on it. May I have
    > your good advice on this?
    > Thank you.
    >
    > William B. Lurie

    Bill

    Put the XP CD that you will use for the repair install into the CD tray and
    boot from it.. do NOT take the first option to press 'R' for repair.. just
    continue as if you were going to load XP for the first time..

    Eventually, you are given the option to do a new install or REPAIR the
    incumbent.. press F8 to continue with the repair.. you MAY have to activate
    your XP over the telephone, but it tells you how to do that..

    You will NOT have to re-install all of your programs, but you WILL have to
    do all of the XP updates again..

    It is a simple enough procedure.. just do it..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > Bruce Chambers wrote:
    >> billurie@nospam.org wrote:
    >>
    >>> As reported, I couldn't get new Windows Update to work
    >>> because of invalid product key, so I bit the bullet on
    >>> it and did what I believe is called Repair Installation
    >>> on my spare hard drive/XP/SP2. It ran fine, accepted
    >>> the product key I gave it, and validated okay. I was
    >>> surprised to find that all my files and folders survived,
    >>> and the new Windows Update as well. I intend to make this
    >>> my new Master OS.
    >>>
    >>> All my application folders, and Program Files are there,
    >>> but I prefer not to go to the effort of reinstalling them
    >>> all, one at a time and making desktop icons. During XP
    >>> installation, it talked about System Tools Folder and
    >>> Settings Transfer Wizard, suggesting that as the right
    >>> way to do it. I'm prepared to run the old drive as Master
    >>> and the newly reactivated drive as Slave, to get whatever
    >>> can be transferred, over to the new drive. I didn't find
    >>> the onboard info on Files and Settings Xfer Wiz awful easy
    >>> to follow; maybe there's a KB article on it. May I have
    >>> your good advice on this?
    >>> Thank you.
    >>>
    >>> William B. Lurie
    >>

    >> You'll still have to reinstall each and every application and game
    >> anyway, in order to recreate the hundreds (possibly thousands) of
    >> registry entries and to replace the dozens (possibly hundreds) of
    >> essential system files back into the appropriate Windows folders and
    >> sub-folders.
    >>
    >> The FAST wizard is useful for transferring data files and some
    >> user-specific settings. It cannot move applications.
    >>

    > Thank you, Bruce, for the bad news. In reading the many pages of
    > description of the wonderful features of XP (and many wondrous
    > featured it does have) I got the impression that it was designed
    > to do what I'm asking. To reinstall many of the applications
    > (notably Symantec products) it is virtually impossible.
    >
    > Let's look at my situation in a different light: I have a fine
    > XP OS that is just what I want in every way, except that the
    > new WU security doesn't like my product key. But I have another
    > product key which worked fine with the newly-installed OS. Instead
    > of the impossible task of reinstalling a zillion applications in
    > the new OS, I would be happy to simply reach into the complete OS
    > with the bad product key, and change its key to the one which has
    > been proven acceptable. The KB articles which I have seen on this
    > are 'iffy' as to whether they will work with SP2, and there's a
    > question as to whether this inherited OS is Corporate or what.
    > (328874, for example, is four pages long and I have problems
    > with it).
    >
    > William B. Lurie

    A repair installation is just what its name says, it installs _on top_ of an
    existing install. If you did a "repair" on another HD, you did a parallell
    (new) XP installation, not a repair install...

    The _repair_ installation should have kept all programs and settings as was,
    a parallell (ie. new install _beside_ the existing) does NOT migrate all
    progs and settings...

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    <billurie@nospam.org> kirjoitti viestissä

    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > Bill
    >
    > Put the XP CD that you will use for the repair install into the CD tray and
    > boot from it.. do NOT take the first option to press 'R' for repair.. just
    > continue as if you were going to load XP for the first time..
    >
    > Eventually, you are given the option to do a new install or REPAIR the
    > incumbent.. press F8 to continue with the repair.. you MAY have to activate
    > your XP over the telephone, but it tells you how to do that..
    >
    > You will NOT have to re-install all of your programs, but you WILL have to
    > do all of the XP updates again..
    >
    > It is a simple enough procedure.. just do it..

    Thanks, Mike. I'll make another clone which is complete except that
    its product key has been rejected, and follow your specific
    procedure. It did not seem credible to me that there was no way
    to correct a product key which had gone bad for some reason.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > As reported, I couldn't get new Windows Update to work
    > because of invalid product key, so I bit the bullet on
    > it and did what I believe is called Repair Installation
    > on my spare hard drive/XP/SP2. It ran fine, accepted
    > the product key I gave it, and validated okay. I was
    > surprised to find that all my files and folders survived,
    > and the new Windows Update as well. I intend to make this
    > my new Master OS.
    >
    > All my application folders, and Program Files are there,
    > but I prefer not to go to the effort of reinstalling them
    > all, one at a time and making desktop icons. During XP
    > installation, it talked about System Tools Folder and
    > Settings Transfer Wizard, suggesting that as the right
    > way to do it. I'm prepared to run the old drive as Master
    > and the newly reactivated drive as Slave, to get whatever
    > can be transferred, over to the new drive. I didn't find
    > the onboard info on Files and Settings Xfer Wiz awful easy
    > to follow; maybe there's a KB article on it. May I have
    > your good advice on this?
    > Thank you.
    >
    > William B. Lurie

    Hi Bill a properly run Repair Install will not require you to reinstall your
    applications. You will have to reinstall Windows Updates and Service Packs
    not included in the version of XP that you used to run the Repair Install.
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    If the invalid product key warning is due to an illegal copy of Windows XP
    Volume License version on the system then keychangers are of no use. You
    will need to run a Repair Install with a legal version of Windows XP
    Professional version to correct the problem.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    Harry Ohrn wrote:
    > If the invalid product key warning is due to an illegal copy of Windows XP
    > Volume License version on the system then keychangers are of no use. You
    > will need to run a Repair Install with a legal version of Windows XP
    > Professional version to correct the problem.

    Harry, I thought I had mentioned that when I did what I thought was a
    repair installation, loading only OS but retaining everything else, my
    product key validated just fine but all the leads to all the
    applications were gone. So I have CD which must have a valid key. My
    problem is how to go about applying that key to a complete OS without
    losing anything.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    uggabugga wrote:
    > In the past, I was in a similar situation and was able to change the key
    > using a program named Magic Jelly Bean Keyfinder. Weird name but it works.
    >
    > http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
    >
    > Just click on Options and then Change Windows Key. Type in the key and click
    > on Change.

    Hey UG:
    Thanks loads for that little program. It does indeed work.
    I tested it and it quickly and easily allows me to change
    Product Key. Read in another message I'm about to post,
    that all is not Danish in Denmark. Using it to try
    to change the Product Key to one which had allowed me to
    install *and* validate a fresh installation of XP from my
    CD, did *not* work, was *not* accepted by 'keyfinder'.
    But this doesn't detract from that being an
    amazingly simple key finder and changer.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    uggabugga wrote:
    > In the past, I was in a similar situation and was able to change the key
    > using a program named Magic Jelly Bean Keyfinder. Weird name but it works.
    >
    > http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
    >
    > Just click on Options and then Change Windows Key. Type in the key and click
    > on Change.

    Hey UG:
    Thanks loads for that little program. It does indeed work.
    I tested it and it quickly and easily allows me to change
    Product Key. Read in another message I'm about to post,
    that all is not Danish in Denmark. Using it to try
    to change the Product Key to one which had allowed me to
    install *and* validate a fresh installation of XP from my
    CD, did *not* work, was *not* accepted by 'keyfinder'.
    But this doesn't detract from that being an
    amazingly simple key finder and changer.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    Mike, I thought I followed your steps well enough, but obviously
    I did not. After the installation was completed, yes, all of my
    programs are there, in Program Files and in their own
    folders, but I'm still in the same boat. The programs have no
    icons and the desktop is empty. If your instructions below
    should have given me an OS and all applications and data
    ready to run, just as they were before this lengthy installation,
    then I didn't do it right.

    Could I impose on you to expand those few lines to include what
    the options will be at all of the places where I must make a choice,
    and which option to select, so that the only long-term effects of
    doing this procedure are to clean up any erroneous Windows XP
    code, and to allow me to enter the correct Product Key?

    Thank you.............

    Bill Lurie

    billurie@nospam.org wrote:
    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    >
    >> Bill
    >>
    >> Put the XP CD that you will use for the repair install into the CD
    >> tray and boot from it.. do NOT take the first option to press 'R' for
    >> repair.. just continue as if you were going to load XP for the first
    >> time..
    >>
    >> Eventually, you are given the option to do a new install or REPAIR the
    >> incumbent.. press F8 to continue with the repair.. you MAY have to
    >> activate your XP over the telephone, but it tells you how to do that..
    >>
    >> You will NOT have to re-install all of your programs, but you WILL
    >> have to do all of the XP updates again..
    >>
    >> It is a simple enough procedure.. just do it..
    >>
    > Thanks, Mike. I'll make another clone which is complete except that
    > its product key has been rejected, and follow your specific
    > procedure. It did not seem credible to me that there was no way
    > to correct a product key which had gone bad for some reason.

    Mike, I've broken the thread on this because a mechanical
    intermittent forced me to go to a backup drive and system. I know
    I already asked for more details...but I tried again, to make sure
    it wasn't me, and no way do I find a procedure leading to F8 as
    you state in your sequence. I'd really appreciate a procedure to
    follow that includes all the steps that the Install CD will lead
    me to.

    Now the drive I had been trying simply to correct the Product Key on,
    has 'files missing' and will not boot, but I can still make a clone
    which is only in need of a procedure for substituting a valid key for
    one that is unacceptable.

    --
    William B. Lurie

Windows Update Windows XP