June 7, 2009 5:01:05 AM

I have a ECS P4M800PRO-M3.
It has 2 sata ports and 2 ide ports.

Currently:
IDE1: Master: OS HDD | Slave: DVD-RW
IDE2: HDD
Sata1: None
Sata2: None

My 2 IDE HDD's are both need to be replace.
I'm planning to buy a new HDD but this time it's SATA.

My friend told me that my motherboard should have PATA/IDE controller in order for SATA hdd and IDE optical drive to work?
Is it true?
Do my ECS P4M800PRO-M3 has PATA/IDE controller?

Thanks.
a b G Storage
June 7, 2009 5:46:25 AM

Of course it will work, why wouldn't it? Can you put RAM in a ram slot and a soundcard in a PCI slot and have them both work?

Quote:
My friend told me that my motherboard should have PATA/IDE controller in order for SATA hdd and IDE optical drive to work?

I have no idea what your friend is trying to say. You need a PATA controller for the IDE channel to work, and a SATA controller for the SATA ports to work. The PATA controller won't work on a SATA drive. Yes you have a PATA controller, its how you use your current disks.

The only thing you have to worry about is changing the jumper on your DVD drive. It will have to get changed to Master. You might also need to adjust your boot options in the bios.
a b G Storage
June 7, 2009 5:50:23 AM

The VIA VT8237R+ southbridge on your ECS P4M800PRO-M3 can use both IDE and SATA devices attached to it concurrently.
Quote:
Is it true?

The PATA/IDE controller is already present on VIA VT8237R+, as is a SATA controller supporting two channels as well.
June 7, 2009 6:07:27 AM

It's now all clear to me

Thanks Guys:D  :love: 

God Bless :ange:  :ange: 
!