Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card for HD video editing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 19, 2008 7:29:55 PM

Hi,
I just bought a new HD camcorder. I was upset to find that my current computer (bought just 8 months ago) was too slow to render the movies so I just purchased a new Dell 420, 2.4GHZ Quad Core with 4GM RAM and and ATI 256MB 2600XT graphics card.

The videos are still not playing so editing is impossible. Is the graphics card to blame?

Perhaps I should be more specific. I am using Ulead 11 and when I try to watch a clip the sound plays (i.e. the clip plays) but the picture remains frozen on the opening shot. Hance why I asusme it's a graphics card issue.

Many thanks for your help
Charlie
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2008 3:20:03 AM

What are you using to edit?

The effects of the graphic card depend on the tool (could accelerate preview, compositing, etc) but all should have a software mode (most have just that), so it should run fine on a fast Quad Core with enough memory.
Related resources
April 21, 2008 7:58:17 AM

Thank you both for your responses. I am using Pinnacle Studio 11 (got it wrong in last post as I have previously tried Ulead 11.5 on another computer).
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2009 2:42:09 PM

hd video card is total diferent from game cards!
call ati or novidia tell than with processor you have,tell tham about your memory ram!
also your video editing softwer,has to be hd ,because there a some forms of compression for hd sd!
i am buying a mac pro,dual quad,with 4 mb ram,but i have to choose my video card,has to least 128vram
displaying,1280x980,or better resolution

good luck
!