Sign in with
Your question

Prob: SLI is slower

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 20, 2008 2:44:11 AM

Ok so I got my other 8800 GT today and installed it expecting it to blow my mind ! but instead its just gave me a headache... With SLI enabled my computer is actually slower than it was before with just one 8800GT. I've looked on the internet to see why this would happen, surprisingly there's only a few cases I could find and there weren't any definitive answers... some say its the lack of power but it seems to be on and working fine, some say its because the GPU is below 3 GHz... I tried updating the graphics card driver's no good... tried restarting(no go) ... tried crying and rolling on the floor, it looked like it worked but it turned out to be a tear in my eye.

My computer specs are:

XPS 720 Black Intel® Core™2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache, 2.4GHz,1066 FSB) English

Memory 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 4DIMMs

Video Cards 512MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GT

Hard Drive 320GB - Seagate 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium

Dxdiag with one card:

Memory: 3068MB RAM
Page File: 1586MB used, 4733MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8800 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0611&SUBSYS_053C10DE&REV_A2
Display Memory: 1756 MB
Dedicated Memory: 477 MB
Shared Memory: 1278 MB

Dxdiag with 2 in SLI:

Memory: 2812MB RAM
Page File: 1129MB used, 4685MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode
-----------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8800 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0611&SUBSYS_053C10DE&REV_A2
Display Memory: 1630 MB
Dedicated Memory: 479 MB
Shared Memory: 1150 MB

Thanks for reading.

More about : prob sli slower

April 20, 2008 2:55:18 AM

Did you turn SLI on and do you have SP1 for Vista install?
April 20, 2008 3:03:42 AM

I was just about to ask the same things. Your version of DX10 is older than mine (6.00.6001.18000) which leads me to believe you haven't installed all the updates. Also you have to go into the Nvidia Control Panel and enable SLI. One last thing, download GPUZ to see if SLI is enabled also you can turn on the SLI visualization in Nvidia Control Panel to see how much and if the two cards are working.
Related resources
April 20, 2008 11:45:50 AM

ok I know SLI is enabled, but the Nvidia Control panel wont let me visualize it... alot of the option I should have arnt there and I dont know why... I used GPUz and I took some screenshots.... but the cards are almost exactly the same except for a few things (not thier GPUs mind you... they wouldnt work otherwise)..... and their drivers are up to date ( I still cant find the update for DX10 you have though...)

here's the shots

April 20, 2008 12:02:41 PM

put the slower one in the primary slot aswell, so that I wouldnt risk overclocking ..... :( 
April 20, 2008 12:19:34 PM

Do you have Service Pack 1 for Vista install?
April 20, 2008 12:21:53 PM

Just would like to make sure what do you mean for slower? Is the FPS for gaming lower? Or the 3DMark06 lower?
a c 171 Î Nvidia
April 20, 2008 12:40:23 PM

gelgamek88 said:
put the slower one in the primary slot aswell, so that I wouldnt risk overclocking ..... :( 

I always put the faster card in the primary slot, it should not throttle down but the slower card will try to keep up. But that was with 7900GT's and XP, Fista is an unknown beast to me.
April 20, 2008 12:59:30 PM

baddad said:
Do you have Service Pack 1 for Vista install?

yes I do.

"Just would like to make sure what do you mean for slower? Is the FPS for gaming lower? Or the 3DMark06 lower?"

the XFX card has higher GPU clock, memory, and shader... that's what I mean by higher. So that's the card I dont put in my primary slot when in SLI

But I came across a new sypmtom, when I put the XFX card in the primary slot ( just it not in SLI) the computer doesnt recognize it... like requires me to reinstall the driver.... does this mean the computer isnt fully recognising it when its in SLI with the other 8800gt? ... hmm I might reinstall the driver with just the XFX in and then put it in SLI to see if it works... does that sound logical ?
a c 171 Î Nvidia
April 20, 2008 1:12:18 PM

Install XFX card only > re-install drivers > reboot, let card be recognised > shutdown and power off > install slower card into secondary slot (not forgetting the SLI bridge) and boot up > let card be recognised then enable Sli in Nvidia control panel > then enable Sli visual indicators > run 3d '06. That is the sequence I would try.
April 20, 2008 1:42:45 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Install XFX card only > re-install drivers > reboot, let card be recognised > shutdown and power off > install slower card into secondary slot (not forgetting the SLI bridge) and boot up > let card be recognised then enable Sli in Nvidia control panel > then enable Sli visual indicators > run 3d '06. That is the sequence I would try.

I did everything except run 3d '06 (im downloading it right now)

and I'm still getting the same dxdiag that I was when the slower card was in the primary slot... somthing is screwed up! I wish there was a switch i could hit to make it work ! :( 

April 20, 2008 2:01:20 PM

jsut found a dude with the same problem, gonna try his fix

"For the past week my sli has been running bad worse that a single card, Both cards worked fine by themself in both slots,
I have a new Asus Crosshair motherboard but I've heard others here with differn't boards having this problem too.
After the 3rd time talking to a Asus tech I talked to a level 2 tech.

What you have to do is take off the SLI connector uninstall the videocard drivers reinstall the motherboard drivers first, install the latest videocard drivers restart,enable SLI restart, it will ask for the SLI connector, shutdown put the connector back on.
It works now, I can play in SLI again"
April 20, 2008 3:42:35 PM

I tried it it didnt work.... but something wierd happened, I was able to enable SLI without the bridge connected and it came up with the same specs as the SLI with the bridge... any thoughts ?
April 20, 2008 4:14:24 PM

What power supply are you using. Insufficient power will lower performance.
April 20, 2008 6:00:42 PM

750 watts so I should be good to go :( 
April 25, 2008 6:39:17 PM

Install SP1 and uninstall and reinstall the video drivers. The SLI visualization I believe is in the Tools menu at the top of Nvidia Control Panel Tools>Visualizations>on
!