Upgrading Router, but to which one?

jr88

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
Hey everyone, let me start off by saying this is a great forum, I read it all the time. The advice Ive got in the past has been excellent, and I am very grateful for it. After a week of router searching with no results, I thought this would be the best place to come. :sol:

My current situation:
I have 2 desktops (1 wired, 1 wireless), 2 laptops (both wireless g connected),1 soon to be bought laptop (will be wireless n connected), an Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii in my household. The 360, Wii, PS3 and Wireless desktop are 2 floors below my router. At the moment, I use a Linksys WRT350N gigabit router for all my connections with beta 1.05.8 firmware (its the best firmware that I know of for it). For the most part, its performance is alright. However, the router itself drops connections quite a bit (mostly when I have a game going, of course). Ive given up hope that Linksys will release any new firmware for this product (its been just under a year now with no updates), so I dont think its performance will be improving any time soon.

I currently pay for a 10 Mbps down and 1Mbps up connection and am looking to utilize all of this bandwidth. I would like a reliable router that does not drop connection, and that can handle the 2 floor barrier (a distance of about 20-30 feet). I stream media to my PS3 (some HD, some SD) and its quite annoying when I watch a movie to only have my connection drop out right at the end. So, Id like this not to happen, lol.

From some research Ive conducted in the past week, Ive narrowed down my choices to the following two routers:
1)D-Link DIR-855 Xtreme N Duo Wireless Media Router (A2)
2)D-Link DGL-4500 Xtreme Gaming Router

For my situation, which of these two routers would you suggest? If you think neither of these would be good, what router would you suggest? I have a $300 Canadian budget.

I appreciate any help you give me! :sol: Thanks!

vouslavous

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
If i were you i would pick the D-Link DGL-4500 Xtreme Gaming Router. Buddy of mine owned it, great performance. He has a 3 story house and connects to all his 6 computers perfectly no lost in connection, everything is pretty solid.

TRENDING THREADS