Sign in with
Your question

Shuttle's New $99 KPC Review

Last response: in Systems
April 13, 2008 12:00:52 AM

How about a real review by someone who has actually fondled the hardware in question? [NewEgg has them in stock now, FWIW, I've got one on order, if it's anything like the other Shuttle (XPC) boxes it'll be quite nice!
April 13, 2008 12:46:25 AM

wpns said:
How about a real review by someone who has actually fondled the hardware in question? [NewEgg has them in stock now, FWIW, I've got one on order, if it's anything like the other Shuttle (XPC) boxes it'll be quite nice!

Seemed nice enough. Depends what you want it for. I would never buy one for my personal use (its just not fitting to my needs), but its a really nice product. If worked with Shuttle XPCs before, and they were all of very good quality. The product it self. btw, its a excelent "small" bussiness machine, or for Terminal-Type Work. And cheap !!!

Get my Hi5 this one.
Related resources
April 14, 2008 4:55:02 PM

I'd just like to point out that Google's photo software is called "Picasa", not Picasso, just in case someone was going to look for it.
Other than that, the system looks nice, I would get it for the kids or for a cheap guest pc to check email on.
April 15, 2008 2:16:01 PM

How easy is it to install a second hdd?

One of these may make a nice media server with 1 TB in it.
April 19, 2008 9:28:13 PM

the HDD cage is right above the CPU and you can just slide the second drive in and put your screws in. You do have to remove the shell but that is three screws.

For those that say maybe the reviewer should have fondled it, I more than fondled it, I took it apart turned it upside down, and rebuilt it.

The article was done before the KPC reached NewEgg but due to the changes at Tom's it was delayed by about a month. I did have newer updates and pictures but they failed to make the article due to some confusion. Sorry about that but if you have any questions you would like me to answer that would be great.

Some things that got edited were wrong, such as Picasa (dumb spellchecker used) and the fact that the BIOS of the system only sees 3.3 GB, see the image, but the grammer editor added the part about 32 bit windows.

Dare I say if you installed a 64 bit system on this box with 4 GB of RAM it would also only see 3.3GB since the board can only address that much in BIOS. Well hopefully you all saw that in the BIOS screen shot.

Well again anything you want to ask please do and I will do my best to answer

April 19, 2008 9:29:00 PM

the HDD cage is right above the CPU and you can just slide the second drive in and put your screws in. You do have to remove the shell but that is three screws.

For those that say maybe the reviewer should have fondled it, I more than fondled it, I took it apart turned it upside down, and rebuilt it.

The article was done before the KPC reached NewEgg but due to the changes at Tom's it was delayed by about a month. I did have newer updates and pictures but they failed to make the article due to some confusion. Sorry about that but if you have any questions you would like me to answer that would be great.

Some things that got edited were wrong, such as Picasa (dumb spellchecker used) and the fact that the BIOS of the system only sees 3.3 GB, see the image, but the grammer editor added the part about 32 bit windows.

Dare I say if you installed a 64 bit system on this box with 4 GB of RAM it would also only see 3.3GB since the board can only address that much in BIOS. Well hopefully you all saw that in the BIOS screen shot.

Well again anything you want to ask please do and I will do my best to answer

April 19, 2008 9:30:52 PM

Wanted to add

KPC fully built has been running $209 and the bare bones $109 so the price is not as low as expected but that is MSRP and as we all know if one place has it then it is more.
April 22, 2008 6:43:28 PM

I thought that was a good review of quite an interesting bit of hardware.

Apart from the applications that it is obviously intended for, you could use it as a firewall/cache/dns server kind of box and, with an extra hard disk, file server print server kind of box.

Shame that there isn't the option to pay a little more and get 2G of ram and a 2140 processor, though.
April 22, 2008 10:04:12 PM

Hi, You can do this at the Shuttle web site and pick other configurations. You can also buy the barebones and build it out to your specs. That is a good deal as you can even put 8400 in it if you want, I would add a 92mm fan if you did but you could. Tigerdirect had them for $99.99 and 10+ for shipping.

I agree that you could do a nice appliance PC with this. I just did the TIVO thing but think proxy, file, web, any server you want in a small box, plus you could use it as a PBX box with Trixbox.

Verge said:
I thought that was a good review of quite an interesting bit of hardware.

Apart from the applications that it is obviously intended for, you could use it as a firewall/cache/dns server kind of box and, with an extra hard disk, file server print server kind of box.

Shame that there isn't the option to pay a little more and get 2G of ram and a 2140 processor, though.

April 24, 2008 12:03:21 AM

I do have question for those that have one of the new Shuttle KPC systems. I just got mine in the mail from ZaReason (great place), but have found it to be quite noisy. As in, almost as noisy as my seven year old Compaq tower. For a system that's supposedly energy efficient with a low performance PSU and specs in general that is designed to sit atop a desk, it's just too distractingly loud. I'm contemplating returning it for that reason and may try out one of their other Shuttle systems that feature a silentX PSU (at 250W, however). I really wanted to like this KPC as I love the small environmental footprint it leaves, but it's just not what I expected. Granted, I haven't worked with it much as I can't go online with it yet and as such can't get it to play mp3s or even DVDs (it's OS is Ubuntu). It just bugs me that Shuttle originally descriped these systems as quiet/silent, but that feature of sorts has been revomed from their site. I guess I expected the whisper quiet nature of a laptop/notebook Oh well.
April 24, 2008 3:57:24 PM

I have the one that I did the article with and it is very quiet. Maybe something is broken on yours, can you isolate the noise issue, is it from the CPU fan, the PSU or I guess the HDD could make noise too but usually that is easy to tell apart. I would think that it is just a bad fan and you can call Shuttle and get that resolved. Maybe others have had a different experiance but it should be pretty quiet.

magicant said:
I do have question for those that have one of the new Shuttle KPC systems. I just got mine in the mail from ZaReason (great place), but have found it to be quite noisy. As in, almost as noisy as my seven year old Compaq tower. For a system that's supposedly energy efficient with a low performance PSU and specs in general that is designed to sit atop a desk, it's just too distractingly loud. I'm contemplating returning it for that reason and may try out one of their other Shuttle systems that feature a silentX PSU (at 250W, however). I really wanted to like this KPC as I love the small environmental footprint it leaves, but it's just not what I expected. Granted, I haven't worked with it much as I can't go online with it yet and as such can't get it to play mp3s or even DVDs (it's OS is Ubuntu). It just bugs me that Shuttle originally descriped these systems as quiet/silent, but that feature of sorts has been revomed from their site. I guess I expected the whisper quiet nature of a laptop/notebook Oh well.

April 28, 2008 2:54:22 PM

Hi magicant, I had the same loudness problem with the K 4500 I ordered from Newegg, so I sent it back last week. It was incredibly loud. (I took it to work to let the guys I work with hear it just to make sure I wasn't being too picky) I too had read all the reviews that cited how quiet they were and was hoping to use this box as a HTPC. I read on one site that the PSU fans aren't mounted correctly on some that shipped.
May 2, 2008 11:59:14 PM

I contacted Shuttle about this, they said they will resolve it if you contact them. I spoke to the rep that sent me the sample so if you have problems post it here and I will follow up with him.
!