Sign in with
Your question

Dual or Quad core for gaming?

Last response: in CPUs
May 10, 2008 1:19:45 AM

So am I better off nowadays getting a dual core or a quad core to maximize my bang for the buck in a gaming machine? I assume that if I get a dual core (E6850) I can get a considerably higher clockspeed for the money then if I get a quad core (Q6600). I'm looking to spend only three hundred or less for the processor, and I'm upgrading from an E6300 machine I built last year.

I will be running Dual 9600GT's on this sytem, and four gig of RAM. I will be running it dual-boot with 32 bit XP and 64 Bit Vista (for DX10 games). XP will be my primary operating system.

I'm thinking higher clock speed might yield better results (less bottleneck for the graphic cards) then four cores.

I dont know much about this stuff... so dont get too technical with me!!! Just tell me which way I should go.

P.S.- I know what you are gonna say here but If I was to be patient and take about 13 online classes I could get a Core2Quad Extreme (retail 1,300ish whatever it is) for about 300 bucks...... Would this really be worth spending the time to take the classes and waiting about two months for? Is it going to make much difference in gaming?

Thanks!

Ray

More about : dual quad core gaming

May 10, 2008 1:32:06 AM

For strict gaming (today) that E6850 is gonna rock, especially when you take it above 3.5Ghz.
May 10, 2008 1:47:23 AM

Why would you get a core 2 duo e6850, get an e8400 or an e8500, their the new cpu's just make sure your motherboard supports it.
Related resources
May 10, 2008 1:50:20 AM

I can infer the only reason would be price or mobo compatibility. Either the E6850 is gonna be damned near free or your running a mobo that can't do Wolfdales.
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2008 1:54:51 AM

Imo, it's not worth upgrading from the E6300. Consider OCing the E6300. If you must buy get a E8x00.

Quote:

P.S.- I know what you are gonna say here but If I was to be patient and take about 13 online classes I could get a Core2Quad Extreme (retail 1,300ish whatever it is) for about 300 bucks...... Would this really be worth spending the time to take the classes and waiting about two months for? Is it going to make much difference in gaming?

If I were you I would do it. The Quad Extreme won't make much difference in gaming, but you can always sell it and make a profit :) . Because of the unlocked multi. you can also OC higher in theory.
May 10, 2008 2:37:35 AM

[/quote]
If I were you I would do it. The Quad Extreme won't make much difference in gaming, but you can always sell it and make a profit :) . Because of the unlocked multi. you can also OC higher in theory.[/quotemsg]

I'm restricted from selling it... and trying to do it on the sly might cost me my job.. so the only reason I would do it is to use it.

May 10, 2008 2:40:23 AM

gamecrazychris said:
Why would you get a core 2 duo e6850, get an e8400 or an e8500, their the new cpu's just make sure your motherboard supports it.

is an E8500 really worth 120 bucks more then a e6850? Im trying to keep the price down!

May 10, 2008 2:51:24 AM

NO. A e7200, 7300, or 8400 would be better.
May 10, 2008 3:11:12 AM

oh, don't remind me how much I miss the intel sales rep purchase program..... You could sell you old stuff and upgrade to the Intel extreme quad for less than a 100 bucks...if not for free.

Its a no brainer: take 15 minutes a day from gaming or wake up 15 minutes early and complete their training and get the deal.
May 10, 2008 9:42:38 PM

Quote:
what are you talking about? is it still going on? what will they buy from you? I DEMAND YOU TELL ME !!! :fou:  ;) 

its the retail sales training program from intel, to get the deal you have to be an employee of my company.... employees of my company can get a core2quad extreme for 300 bucks (the 1,400$ one) if we complete about 13 intel online classes, but this deal is only available from intel through my company (and possibly other similar companies).
!