smallfry

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
I've just bought a GA-EP35-DS3 with 2x 1GB sticks of Kingston DDR2-PC6400 RAM. It's not working though, i can't get Windows running on it.

1. Installation of Windows Vista crashes halfway with a PFN List Corrupt error.
2. Installation of Windows XP throws up errors halfway as well
3. Managed to install Ubuntu linux without any issues.

Took out one piece of RAM and tried again.

1. Installation of Windows XP succeeds without any errors.

I put back the RAM i took out and booted up again.

1. Windows crashes during bootup process

Tested the RAM with memtest on another PC, no errors found.

Does anyone have any idea on what the problem could be?

smallfry

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
The voltage and timings are at the default (auto) values in the bios and look correct as far as i can see

I switched the RAM to other DIMM slots as well, but no luck, still does not work.

I managed to get memtest86+ running on the PC itself, it reports ecc errors when both pieces of RAM are inserted in dual channel configuration, but does not report any error when only one piece of RAM is inserted.

So this is likely to be the motherboard problem? Or is there some value i can tweak in the bios?

MadMech

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2005
I'm using crucial ballistix and it needs to be set to 2.2V to work properly(that's what the memory is spec'd at)... By default the DS3L is set to 1.8V so you have to manually change it (can't use auto)... not sure what kingston should be set at, but u can look it up if u got the part number...

martin7601

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I bought EP35-DS3 a few days ago with Kingston 2GB/800 CAS6 RAM. The MB has problems to turn on, it usually restarts several times before it boots up. There's no video or beep during the restarts. Then it eventually starts OK.

I realised that if I change the "Performance Enhance" setting in M.I.T in BIOS to "Standart", it works OK. However, the default settings for "Performance Enhance" is "Turbo".

When using Kingston 2GB/800 CAS5 RAM, the MoBo boots OK even with the "Turbo" setting.

The CAS6 RAM passes the Memtest OK, so why do I have to "underclock" the "Performance Enhance" to "Standart" from its "Turbo" default? Is the MoBo faulty??? Or can't it use CAS6 RAM w/out issues?