All fans and HD booting, no POST but no image on screen. Help!

Cornelius74

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Hi All

I've built a new system, but i can't get it to run. Everything in the cabinet appears to be working, but I get no image on the monitor and I don't get any beeps or other indications that anything would be wrong.

The system is:
Asus P5E3 Deluxe
Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2 GHz
OCZ Platinum 2 x 1 GB, DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz
Asus EN 8800GT 1GB
HD WD Caviar GP 50 GB
PSU 850W Zalman ZM850-HP

I have two theorys to what could be wrong.
The first is i might have damaged the CPU or mobo when installing the huge Thermalright IFX-14, but that should give me some kind of beeps in the POST, right?

The other theory is, that for some reason my trusty, but very old, Sony420GS VGA monitor isn't able to get the signal because it has to go through a DVI->VGA adapter. It is really like my monitor dosn't get a signal at all. (I tried three different adapters, two of them brand new).

I have run out of ideas and hope, so any kind of help and the tinyest glimmer of hope will be most appreciated.

litlrabi

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
What other hardware do you have or have access to that you can test? If a friend has a monitor you can use, test that first.

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
if you get zero beeps on power on.. your NOT posting. that means no video, no boot, no nuttin but fans and drives spinning.

Now, if you get 1 beep early, and another later, you may be booting and have a problem with monitor/video card arrangement.

Cornelius74

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Good idea with the monitor, i actually didn't think of that. I'll try that when i can get hold of a car. Thanks.

I have zero beeps.

Kari

Splendid
do you have the 4 or 8pin atx12V power cable for the CPU hookep up on the mobo? without that powercable the cpu wont get any power and thus it wont really do anything...

Cornelius74

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
I have both the 8pin (2x4) eatx and the 24pin eatx power cables connected.

I followed the link jsc posted, and now i finally get some kind of beeps telling me i have no memory installed, so i'll try to put my RAM back in, and see what will happen.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
his motherboard might not have a beeper.so even if it boot normally his wouldnt hear a sound either.

there potential problem i can think of is you have a problem with either you motherboard or graphics card.have you connect any power cable to the graphics card?

zeuseason

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
I had a similar problem a long time ago and it turned out to be a power fault in the graphic card. Sometimes it would initialize on screen sometimes it wouldn't (fans would kick on everytime with the card tho). Popped in an older no-power required card and it worked everytime.

What was worse was the card had a 'lifetime' warranty thru PNY and when I called them up, the fine print states 'while supplies last'....so they didn't have any more of that discontinued card in stock.

Cornelius74

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
I found the problem, it turned out to be the Graphics card. As soon as i put it in, i don't get any beeps at all from my mobo. When i yank it out, it's beeping like it's supposed to do.

I thank you all for your help, now i at least know where it hurts, and can get my pc back up and running. It has been sitting under my desk for three weeks now, making me depressed. That's over now, thanks to you guys.

TRENDING THREADS