Sign in with
Your question

My Dell XPS 420 cannot find windows

Last response: in Windows Vista
June 12, 2012 6:09:08 PM

Hello,
xps 420 boots up and then message 1:AUTO DETECT Entering POWER SAVE. I have replaced cmos battery. run diagnostics and items achieved PASS status. I have tried to boot up from Divers and Utilities disc supplied with computer but same result. Have gone through set up cannot find anything obviouse Can anyone help please RFEN
June 13, 2012 7:15:43 AM

Rfen said:
Hello,
xps 420 boots up and then message 1:AUTO DETECT Entering POWER SAVE. I have replaced cmos battery. run diagnostics and items achieved PASS status. I have tried to boot up from Divers and Utilities disc supplied with computer but same result. Have gone through set up cannot find anything obviouse Can anyone help please RFEN

* a video card problem or a loose cable
* check all the video connections
* reseat the card
* if all fails...replace the card
June 13, 2012 4:33:42 PM

ksiemb said:
* a video card problem or a loose cable
* check all the video connections
* reseat the card
* if all fails...replace the card

hi thanks for that. done all that except replace card as is only 8 months old ( saffire Radeon 5570) also rplaced power pack at same time ( Stealth Xtreme 2). System tells me possible software problem or hardware but hardware diagnostics all show PASS.. ps power light on screen stays on but goes to amber from green. have tried different monitor with different cable same problem. have removed all cards> I think I have done everything short of throwing it out of the window and into the fishpond. would like to get to C promt to run msconfig.exe but cannot get there RFEN thanks your reply
!