thucker

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Hello,
I just recently had a computer custom built with a 500gb (sata) hd installed in it. I had an extra 320gb (ide) hd laying around.
I wanted to be able to hookup the 320gb and use it to install windows 7 and different linux distros without messing with original partition with vitsa 64 bit on it.

I bought an IDE to SATA converter and a Y Power splitter to power the converter device and hd itself.

Again 500 is the original hd, and 320 is the new ide to sata drive.

When I go into BIOS the bios sees the 500 and the 320.
When I go into Computer Managment -> Device Manager -> Disk Drives -> I see my 500 and 320.

Now if i go to my computer the 320 does not show up... if I go to the disk management the 320 still does not show up.

I figured that it just needed to be formated to be shown in "my Computer" but i cant seem to get windows to see it to let me do this... Any suggestions?

copenhagenlc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
Have you tried running a live disk yet, Knoppix or something like that to see if shows up in a different os? Might be a windows issue. Also run some hard drive scans and make sure the drive is 100%

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Those SATA-IDE(or vice-versa) have a high tendency to not work correctly with various hardware combination.
A cheap IDE controller card based on PCIe or PCI would have been a much better choice.

daship

Distinguished
Grab a ide cable and try ide.

also take any jumpers off the ide drive if running in sata, if that dont work move jumper to master/slave ect.... to see where it likes to work.

ajcroteau

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008

I've seen this happen with Flash Drives also, You may have to manually assign a drive letter to the 320 through the Device Manager. If it doesn't have a drive letter, it won't show up in "My Computer".

AJ