usb mass storage device error. Will not install software for any mass storage device. I do have a usb mouse and it works fine. I've tried everything I can think of. running xp home sp3. compaq presario 6412us.
When I insert any type of usb storage device into any of the usb ports it wants to install software automatically. each time it goes through the process it starts to install momentarily and then says error code 28 an can not install software.
I've tried lots of devices and none work on the machine. They all appear to work on another machine.
I've read I need usbstor.sys file an usbstor.inf but I don't know where to get these from.
any help with usb mass storage device installation and troubleshooting?
Remove and reinstall all USB controllers
To remove and reinstall all USB controllers, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Click the Hardware tab.
3. Click the Device Manager button.
4. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
5. Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time. Do not remove the root "Universal Serial Bus Controllers"
6. Restart the computer, USB controllers will be re-installed.
7. Plug in the removable USB storage device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.