Will not boot past blinking cursor

Sable23

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
I'm having problems with my computer. I have a Gateway laptop that recently got attacked by a virus. When Norton scanned it, it removed one called Maljava, whatever that is. However, the problem persisted. So I did a system restore to a few days ago. The virus was still there! So I sent it back as far as I could, but this was after McAfee expired and I hadn't yet installed Norton. So I tried to install Norton, but it wouldn't install. It eventually said it was because the Data Execution would not allow Adobe Reader to open. I tried to update it, but nothing worked. Then the virus came back again! It didn't really do much, it just messed with Google. Every time I entered something, it gave me searches which had nothing to do with what I entered. Bing worked perfectly fine, but I wanted the virus gone.

Anyways, I finally tried to restart my computer in Safe Mode, but right while it was in the middle of loading, it canceled the process and tried to restart normally. I thought it was the virus messing with my computer, so while it was in the middle of booting up, I powered it down. When I tried to power up, it gave me an error screen asking me to do a repair restart, UNLESS it was me that powered down while in the middle of rebooting. So I restarted normally instead, but after that, it would not go past the blinking cursor. I've restarted several times, but nothing works. It won't go past that stupid cursor, and I can't get back into Safe Mode.

Now, if I wind up having to use a disk of any sort, what will it do to my files? What can I do that does not require a disk? I can get to the BIOS and BOOT buttons. I have a lot of files on there that I want to save that I stupidly did not back up. I'll do whatever to my computer, but only AFTER I have ensured that my files are safe. What can someone who knows next to nothing about computers do to fix this situation? Any help at all will be much appreciated.

Well you certainly have a lot going on there. If the Vista recovery options do not work for you, Then do some reaearch on booting from a rescue disk, like Kapersky, which scans your system (thoroughly)