Question on disks used for backup

For the first time, I am going to use CD-RW disks for backup. Do I
understand correctly that I do not have to clean or format them, before
using them again ? TIA...
bj
4 answers Last reply
More about question disks backup

    Hi,

    You need to format them if you want to remove the files currently stored on
    them, otherwise not.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > You need to format them if you want to remove the files currently stored on
    > them, otherwise not.

    Thanks, Rick, I was confused by the back up question about "replacing
    existing data", as if it would reformat or whatever, automatically, before
    recording the new data. Glad that I asked! :)
    bj

    chicagofan wrote:
    > Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> You need to format them if you want to remove the files currently
    >> stored on them, otherwise not.
    >>

    > Thanks, Rick, I was confused by the back up question about "replacing
    > existing data", as if it would reformat or whatever, automatically,
    > before recording the new data. Glad that I asked! :)
    > bj

    -----------------

    With my DVD+RW at least, when you have a file on the disk and then replace it
    with an updated version of the same file name, you do not have to do anything --
    it handles everything for you like a hard disk does. I suspect the CD is the
    same, depending on your software.

    Is that perhaps what you were asking?

    Good luck...

    Bill

    Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address) wrote:
    > chicagofan wrote:
    >
    >> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    >>> You need to format them if you want to remove the files currently
    >>> stored on them, otherwise not.
    >>>

    >> Thanks, Rick, I was confused by the back up question about "replacing
    >> existing data", as if it would reformat or whatever, automatically,
    >> before recording the new data. Glad that I asked! :)
    >> bj
    > -----------------
    >
    > With my DVD+RW at least, when you have a file on the disk and then
    > replace it with an updated version of the same file name, you do not
    > have to do anything -- it handles everything for you like a hard disk
    > does. I suspect the CD is the same, depending on your software.
    >
    > Is that perhaps what you were asking?
    >
    > Good luck...
    >
    > Bill

    Yes... that is what I meant. The backup wizard tells you, if the file name
    is "the same" and you check to replace it, it will be done... as if there is
    nothing you need to do to the disk with the old info on it. I just wanted
    to be sure, since I've never done backups on CD-RWs.

    I'm using the Windows NTbackup program.
    bj

Backup Microsoft Windows XP