Is lapping my heatsink necessary?

Whitemilk661

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Is lapping my heatsink necessary? I'd like to build my computer tonight, but don't have all the grit sand paper. Is it really necessary?

In most cases, no.

You need to google heatsink lapping. The first thing you will need is a way to see how flat the HSF base is. If you are planning to lap your HSF, besides the sandpaper, you will need a really flat surface.

What kind of HSF do you have? Why do you think you need to lap it?

4745454b

Titan
There are only two times you need to lap your heatsink. The first is if you bought a heatsink that for some reason isn't flat. This used to be more common in the past, but doesn't really happen now. The second is if you get a heatsink that has been painted ALL over. Paint isn't a good thermal conductor, and should be removed from the base of the sink. Again, doesn't happen so much now, though I do have a few green and black heatsinks from yesteryear...

Third is if you really think doing it will drop temps 5c. I however doubt these claims.

Whitemilk661

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
I have the thermalright ultra 120 extreme, I decided not to lap it. I just ran across lapping on youtube, and I've never built a comp before so it kind of freaked me out.

I have a question about the anti vibration wires on the heatsink though. How exactly do they go on? Do both ends clip on to the fins, or does the top go in one of the holes on top? If somebody could answer that would be great!