x64 xp only reading 2.62gig of ram

punchie13

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
hello. i have found similar problems, but they are on x32. i have read over and over that if i want to read all 4gig of ram to get x64 bit. well im using x64 and it is still only reading 2.62 gig!?!?! i have tried changing the virtual memory to "no paging file" and restarted but still only reads 2.62. im using 2x2 gig crucial ballistix tracers ddr2 800 on an asus p5w dh delux mobo and an intel e6400. my bios version is 1901 (not the latest, but not the oldest) i had my cpu oc'ed at 2.8 (400x7) and it would recognize all 4 gig, but since i have set bios back to default, it only shows the 2.62. any thoughts...anyone?? thank you in advance.

Try moving your sticks to the other two slots. Then try redoing your OC. if that doesn't work check your bios memory settings against the manufactures. Make sure the voltages and timings are where they should be. And always as a last resort update your bios.

punchie13

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
hey thanks for the reply psykhiqzero!! i ended up finding out that there is a setting in bios called "memory remap" that should be enabled for use with more than 3 gig and/or x64 bit os's. it is now showing 4 gig. let me ask you another question though...crucial says that these sticks have a voltage of 2.2v...but when i set it to that in bios...it shows up red (as opposed to white like everything else) now my pc ran fine with it set like that and i ran memtest for a couple hours with no errors. do you think it could just be the bios version or bios itself not recognizing 2.2v as a valid entry?? thank you again!!

sailer

Splendid
Its most likely that the BIOS or the motherboard or both is too old to recognize the high voltage required by modern ram. If the ram runs correctly at 2.2v, then don't worry about it. Do run PRime95 though, to make sure the machine is stable. It might be a good idea to run Speedfan at the same time so you can monitor the temps and make sure nothing gets too hot.

punchie13

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
thank you sailer!! i was kind of hoping that was the case. do you think i should update the bios? im currently running 1901 for a little over a year now with no major problems, but there is a newer (2704) version out. thanks again. Btw....thats a couple nice rigs you got there!!

modmandan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006
The issue with the voltage showing up red is due to your BIOS reading the "safe" settings for your ram SPD voltage which is probably 1.8. It's normal so don't worry about it. Like Sailer posted, 2.2volt is correct for your ram. I would also recommend that you run prime95 or orthos to test stabilty, but it should be quite stable at 2.2.

sailer

Splendid

I would update to the newer BIOS. It just might solve the problem that you are running into.