Sign in with
Your question

What do you recomend for me?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
April 11, 2008 10:15:18 PM

Ok, this might be kind of an off topic discussion but I want your opinions and recommendations. :) 

I want to know what are some good Colleges for people going in to the Computer field. I also wanted to know what College(s) that you have gone to and what were your grades, (ie GPA, aka grade point average) and SAT scores and other stuff that you had when you applied to the Colleges. I will be applying to College during my senior year (2010 school year). Also what courses and other stuff do you guys/gals recommend that I do?

PS: Plan to get my A+ cert during Summer this year. I already know VisualBasic/Perl/HTML (self tought) pretty well. I will be taking a course comp sci. (uses Java) next year. I am also teaching my self C++ and possibly C# pretty soon.

Thanks guys/gals (haven't seen many gals on the Forums lol).

More about : recomend

April 11, 2008 10:21:02 PM

you mean College
a b B Homebuilt system
April 11, 2008 10:28:04 PM

:lol:  Yeah.
Related resources
April 11, 2008 10:41:04 PM

well, ive been searching around about the same subject (being a junior in highschool..)

if anyone has any info, ill appriciate it too :p 
April 11, 2008 11:44:12 PM

Colleges.. Well let me ask you as it looks like you want to program, but the question is what? Do you want to program games, web programming, applications. Then further into the field EX: games = Game Architecture(Engines), Game Scripting, Game Tools (Map editors/General Tools(Max/Maya Importers/Exporters etc), web programming = Web Games, Web Applications (Google apps: Application software run from a browser), Web Design (Web Site interface: what you see), Web Programming (Software that runs behind a website: Newegg's/Amazon's software for keeping track of inventory and grabbing product information from the server, making the shopping cart work etc), EX: applications = Network, Server, software drivers, Operating System, etc etc etc..

Basically where do you want to go with this as this will very much change your direction and your choice of schools. If your not sure see if you can find the time to get acquainted with different levels of programming and see what interests you and how for into working with the computer you want to go and what area of software truly interests you. You never know you may not want to know how or even want to worry about managing memory in which case I would say stick with C#, HTML and other managed programming languages.

If you still don't know before the end of summer (make sure your FAFSA is done already) apply for a community college and take care of some of your prerequisites (English etc) at the community college until you know what you want to do. Just don't stop learning :)  and heck community colleges are much much cheaper than the tuition at a University just remember to transfer those credits over.
April 11, 2008 11:47:27 PM

Hea Shadow, I missed my calling along time ago. My class 1968.
If I was you age I would join the Marines to be a Naval Avaitor.
Second choice FBI or CIA, let the government educate you.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 12, 2008 12:08:09 AM

Thanks for the recommendations so far every one. Any more?
April 12, 2008 12:35:07 AM

I have a mathematics and computer science degree from Central Michigan University. I graduated with a 3.8 and did not take the SAT-I took the ACT and scored a 29.
April 12, 2008 12:37:08 AM

When i took the ACT (Circa 1998 or so, a 32 was the highest score).
April 12, 2008 1:03:06 AM

um habitat87... No they definitely don't teach you everything.. There is so much to learn that teaching you everything in a class is more like a hopeful dream than a reality trust me. I'm getting my Bachelor's in Science in a few months I have taken dozens of classes on programming. Most programming classes will teach you about a language or an API and how to use it. But more advanced topics are usually not taught at schools.

On the matter of teaching more than one language.. Well at the start they are likely to have you take a computer programming fundamentals class which teaches you how programming classes work. They definitely can't teach you all of the programming languages. I mean look at this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabetical_list_of_progr..., Personally I know C/C++/C#/(C++/CLI), Visual Basic.NET, QBasic, Pascal, LUA, and Assembly. Now I could easily pick up any language I want, but I don't know how to program in those other languages. Most of the common languages are used for specialized purposes.

For instance C++ and C(C/C++) are usually used together to create programs like games that are processor intensive. Basically applications that need every ounce of performance they can get. If you still need more performance you can create part of the program in assembly to get that extra ounce of performance that you need to get the task done or to create something you are otherwise not sure of how to do in C/C++ as assembly allows you access to the processor that you otherwise would not have in C/C++.

On the other hand Languages like C# and Visual Basic .NET are usually by companies to quickly create user interfaces and applications where getting the job done quick and efficiently is more of the priority than performance. These languages run off a C/C++ base foundation during run-time and usually interface with C/C++ classes to provide integration with other application or API's (DirectX, OpenGL, MySQL, etc). Their main advantage compared to C/C++ is that you can visually see what you are creating and debug it quicker than you could if you were using C/C++. Compared to C/C++ good programming techniques are not as high of a priority to creating an application and is not as involved. In C/C++ a programmer needs to remember to destroy objects in the memory whereas in C# or Visual Basic .NET (Managed Languages:Java/VB.NET/C#/(C++/CLI) etc) this is all done for you(maybe not when you want it done or even how you would want it done) in the background. But because of this languages like C/C++ can provide extra performance by allowing these types of things to be done as needed instead of all the time as is the case in most if not all Managed Languages.

Anyways each language usually has its own special purpose C/C++/Assembly (Performance Desktop), VB.NET/C# (Application Interfaces), C++/CLI (Integration between C# and C/C++ code bases), LUA/Ruby/Python (Scripting languages usually used for games), etc. I could go on and on.. There is so much to learn and so many languages.
April 12, 2008 1:11:57 AM

Buy a fishing pole while your at it.

There are just too many branches in IT Bussiness. I work in this field for 15 years now, i still feel like a newbie. From designing/mounting Workstations/Servers from Video Editing to SQL Servers (and much..more) and a bit of AS400 aswell. From Programing (VB,Fox, HTML,PHP, C++ a bit of Assembly,COBOL,Clipper, Dbase,....etc) to Webmaster...well. I could go on and on ..... But just to finish it up.

I still feel like a newbie. Im doing this for 15 years now. So dont worry much. Just buy that fishing pole while your at it :) 

EDIT:Typ0s, loads of them !!!
April 12, 2008 10:52:06 AM

habitat87 said:
Radnor, those are all different areas, of course your going to feel like a noob. That's why you pick ONE. It's called a major. LOL!

Sometimes, in this bussiness , you just gotta keep hoping for a bit to know what your really like. Education can teach you how to walk. To run you must try it yourself. The fishing pole was a good advice :)  I guess, im glad you didnt took it as a sarcastic one. A major its a nice idea, need to get a job the gives me the time to do it. that wont be hard *back to server admin!*

Good luck to you mate
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
April 12, 2008 12:39:55 PM

caqde said:

If you still don't know before the end of summer (make sure your FAFSA is done already) apply for a community college and take care of some of your prerequisites (English etc) at the community college until you know what you want to do. Just don't stop learning :)  and heck community colleges are much much cheaper than the tuition at a University just remember to transfer those credits over.

Another advantage to the community college is that, as long as the course grade is a "C" or better, the credits will transfer, but not the grades. (This assumes, of course, that you are taking courses that transfer.) This means that a "C" in a required course such as English or an elective will not pull your final GPA down. The converse is also true. "A"'s in lower level courses will not raise your GPA either. That affected me.

I completed my degree while in the Army, stationed in Germany in my copius amounts (snicker) of spare time - BSc Computer Science / Management, 1990. Finished with a 3.5 GPA. If I could have counted transfer courses, it would have been a 3.8. OTOH, for someone in my situation - retired military - GPA is relatively meaningless.

I retired in 1993. Looking back, what I should have done is gotten certification in computer and network security.

If you do not want to program, network security and computer forensics are growth fields.

a b B Homebuilt system
April 13, 2008 10:27:53 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I will keep them in mind. :) . I will (90% certenty) will be doing some thing related to programing, so I should start crunching on C++/C# pretty soon. I planed on getting A+ because it's one of the easiest and least expensive certs that I can get.
!