Prime95 makes a fast rickety sound in my computer!

sl33p

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2008
Whenever i run Prime95, a sound goes off in my computer. Maybe p95 caused fan speeds to increase and if it was hitting something, it would make it more audible... but all fans in my system are not touching anything. Different tests make different whirling noise, it just sounds like something is touching something that is spinning really fast. It could be an under oiled fan motor. Thought it does sound like the motherboard is crying out for help or something. The sound is coming from around the CPU area. Just wondering if anyone else has had this (hopefully minor) problem.

Gigabyte EP45-DS3L
Q6600@3.2ghz

Load temps- 55-59

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Hi there, i have recently changed my case fans becauce they were quite noisy and noticed the same thing! Something is making barely audible(but still audible) high pitched "electronic" whizz(LOL i dont know how to describe it). It gives the impression like you could actually hear the cpu working :D

It usually happens when i run prime, but its not like it happens every time i run it, its quite random. So far i didnt notice it while running anything else.

I have e5200@3.6 on Asus p5q-pro

Hope someone here can give a reasonable explanation for that

jaibot18

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2008
check the gfx card, my friend recently built a comp and the fan on it was hitting the heatsink, just an idea,
btw what cpu cooler do you have