Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD plans to release a 6 Core processor! Impressive

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 10, 2008 7:33:57 PM

Not only is AMD planning to release new chips....they should also work with current compatible motherboards. Going Core2Quad will leave you behind..... since it's incompatible with Intels copycat Native Quad core Nehalem that will appear sometime in the future. AMD are back in business and are innovating as usual.

Article:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121018922192574563.html...

Quote:
Advanced Micro Devices Inc. plans to produce chips with six electronic brains, and then 12, to continue a longtime game of high-tech leapfrog with rival Intel Corp.


Quote:
Wednesday, AMD disclosed plans for a six-processor model in the second half of 2009 that can fit in the same computers that use current chips. Then, in the first half of 2010, the company plans a more fundamental makeover of its chip design to include models with six or 12 processors, said Randy Allen, an AMD vice president and general manager of its server-workstation division


AMD Technology leading the way! Intel please stop Copying AMD!

AMD4life!
May 10, 2008 7:43:37 PM

"amd for life"
somes it all up. thunder man, you know what you need, a girl (or boy) freind something to take your mind off proving how 'good' amd are.

^this is not a hater comment nor meant to course offense, it is advice and i apoligise if it casue any upset.
May 10, 2008 7:57:17 PM

By the time I upgrade my system I'll want a new mobo and RAM. I hope AMD gets their sh!t together. Intel will hold back until they have a little impetus.

Thunderman, you're still a TROLL clown.
Related resources
May 10, 2008 8:03:54 PM

As much of an AMD fan I am, the current execs over there have taught me that they are at best a bunch of dreamers right now. Although I do have hope, I really don't have that much faith right now. Let alone trust in their statements. At this rate, next year I may be building my first Intel system in several years.
Faith is good Thunder, but you have to have an open mind.
May 10, 2008 8:09:26 PM

Yeah that new six core that you are so hyped on thunder dud is 2 tri cores glue together. Next time you might want to read deeper before you shoot off again.
May 10, 2008 8:12:42 PM

its so ironic after all the "double cheesburger" posts....
May 10, 2008 8:20:00 PM

LOL AMD finally hungry for the double cheeze. Maybe Intel can sue them for the copycat design.

To bad a Dual core intel will probably beat it lol.
May 10, 2008 8:25:27 PM

I dunno about all this "amd for life" stuff.... I used to think the same thing, but now I realize that I'm "best performance for my money for life". Product loyalty is just plain stupid if you ask me.

I just got a shiney new intel system and while I'm pulling for AMD to hang in there and become great again, I certainly won't be holding my breath.
May 10, 2008 8:26:01 PM

2nd half of '09 am i the only person seeing this?? Mhz for Mhz its still not going to outperform what intel has right now, and its not like intel is going to sit on their butts for the next 1.5 years either. I'd really love to see AMD bounce back from the hole they dug themselves but its just not gonna happen that soon. They can't beat Intel on performance so now they are going to get into a who has the most cores competition. Intel has a better manufactoring process so its not like AMD is going to win that battle either. AMD's marketing department is writing checks that their design engineers can't cash, and its killing peoples faith in the company, mine included.

What is with the glued cores for the 12 core model, isn't native the only good way to make a multicore CPU. Man im REALLY starting to feel dizzy from all this AMD marketing spin. They should just fire all their marketing people and focus on making solid performing products again.
May 10, 2008 8:29:53 PM

That is indeed fantasitic, albeit old news!!!

Now, AMD only has 74 cores left to catch up to Intel
May 10, 2008 8:45:57 PM

Personally I think Thunder just poops out these topics just so he can sit back, have a beer and a doob, and watch all the waves it creates.
May 10, 2008 8:49:16 PM

rfatcheric said:
I dunno about all this "amd for life" stuff.... I used to think the same thing, but now I realize that I'm "best performance for my money for life". Product loyalty is just plain stupid if you ask me.

I just got a shiney new intel system and while I'm pulling for AMD to hang in there and become great again, I certainly won't be holding my breath.

its what all sensible people do, but thunderman is like the local forum joke - he makes patently obviously stupid statements
May 10, 2008 8:50:16 PM

inglburt said:
Personally I think Thunder just poops out these topics just so he can sit back, have a beer and a doob, and watch all the waves it creates.



Could be, but if thats the case, then the joke is on him.
May 10, 2008 8:54:46 PM

turpit said:
That is indeed fantasitic, albeit old news!!!

Now, AMD only has 74 cores left to catch up to Intel



Was there much difference between Intels 80 core chip and a GP-GPU?

May 10, 2008 8:57:26 PM

Yeah, Intels 80 core chip can be set up in a number of ways depending on what you want it to do.
May 10, 2008 9:08:30 PM

Thunderman, end yourself.

This won't revolutionize anything, and nothing will change.

AMD is just beginning to become competitive in the multi-core market.

I build and use both Intel and AMD machines. Whoever acts like a dickhead in support of one platform or the other needs to have their junk put in a meatgrinder while they are waterboarded and alternately torched with a flamethrower and exposed to freezing cold water.

The consumer that actually has a brain and uses it supports competition instead of championing one product over the other and acting like a retard over the internet. It seems like such a small population for which the brain isn't a vestigial organ.

**** lamer.
May 10, 2008 9:10:34 PM

Aren't there going to be 8 core Nehalems pretty later on this year or next year? Those should blow away the AMD chips.
May 10, 2008 9:14:56 PM

Woah, he's back. Since when?
May 10, 2008 9:19:30 PM

Need I say anything other than Dunnington in H2 2008.
May 10, 2008 9:26:42 PM

Oh yeah and Phenom is somewhat backwards compatible with older boards, but only some, and the support is often horrible.

D'oh. New architecture means new hardware. Deal with it.
May 10, 2008 9:29:57 PM

AMD have already stated that future AM3 processors will be compatible with existing AM2+ motherboards....great backwards compatibility. However with Intel P35,X38,X48 that's the end of the road...so AM2+ users will enjoy the benefits of future CPU technology without the expense of DDR3 and New Motherboards.
The difference between AMD gluing and Intel gluing CPU'S together is that AMD maintains superior Technology while Intel still uses Antient FSB that was left behind by AMD LONG AGO. AMD are the smarter choice! Intel only went native Quad core because AMD have proven it's the right way forward...AMD are the first for most things...Intel copy constantly. Intel piggy pack off of AMDs success....AMD care for customers and that's important and are the real innovators! AMD are the masters and I will always follow them no matter what!

AMD filled a gap in the market with Triple core processing! Triple core is a real Innovation and many are applauding AMD's efforts! Intel have no Triple Core!

Here's a video of Triple core and it's outstanding, really exciting technology!

Blueray performance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V741rSx3-5U

Game performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd0Of4PnpQk

AMD4Life!
May 10, 2008 9:30:08 PM

Hmm, so thunderman is still alive. I was sure he would have hung himself by now, unable to cope with the reality of intel's current market superiority.
But I guess he lost his ability to distinguish between real life and the funky-town make belief world that exists only within his crazy little head.
May 10, 2008 9:59:31 PM

thunderman said:
AMD have already stated that future AM3 processors will be compatible with existing AM2+ motherboards....great backwards compatibility. However with Intel P35,X38,X48 that's the end of the road...so AM2+ users will enjoy the benefits of future CPU technology without the expense of DDR3 and New Motherboards.
The difference between AMD gluing and Intel gluing CPU'S together is that AMD maintains superior Technology while Intel still uses Antient FSB that was left behind by AMD LONG AGO. AMD are the smarter choice! Intel only went native Quad core because AMD have proven it's the right way forward...AMD are the first for most things...Intel copy constantly. Intel piggy pack off of AMDs success....AMD care for customers and that's important and are the real innovators! AMD are the masters and I will always follow them no matter what!

AMD filled a gap in the market with Triple core processing! Triple core is a real Innovation and many are applauding AMD's efforts! Intel have no Triple Core!

Here's a video of Triple core and it's outstanding, really exciting technology!

Blueray performance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V741rSx3-5U

Game performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd0Of4PnpQk

AMD4Life!


The 71st useless post you've made so far on these forums

AMD will design AM3 to be backwards compatible, whether or not motherboard manufacturers implement it is a different story. Same with AM2+ processors working in AM2 mobos or the lack thereof.

and disabling a core is great INNOVASHUN :sarcastic: 
May 10, 2008 10:04:01 PM

Man, I had seen *TONS* of funny quotes about a guy "named" "Thunderman", but I hadn't figured out what was the big deal. :whistle: 

Dude, you are hilarious. I mean it. Seriously. :pt1cable:  (no offense)

I'm looking forward to seeing yours posts! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
May 10, 2008 10:15:10 PM

Amiga500 said:
Was there much difference between Intels 80 core chip and a GP-GPU?



May 10, 2008 11:03:55 PM

ROFL, disabled core = hardcoar.

ROFFALxCOAR
May 11, 2008 12:13:48 AM

Speaking of hanging himself.. anybody seen Baron lately?
May 11, 2008 12:15:35 AM

Thunder man thank you for the humor you bring to these forums. I always get a nice laugh out of you forum posts, keep it up despite all the haters out there.
AMD4life!
May 11, 2008 3:11:02 AM

Such lengths people go to flame AMD fanboys.
I never saw this during the AMD 64 days. It's indeed a sad state of affairs.
Honestly, I love flaming people, but I have better things to do.

@ the topic, sorry, but not so impressive, and this coming from an AMD fan.
May 11, 2008 3:22:05 AM

doomsdaydave11 said:
Such lengths people go to flame AMD fanboys.
I never saw this during the AMD 64 days. It's indeed a sad state of affairs.
Honestly, I love flaming people, but I have better things to do.

@ the topic, sorry, but not so impressive, and this coming from an AMD fan.


Thats beacuse in the Athlon XP and A 64 days, it was the AMD fanboys flaming the Intel fanboys. And it was there, though the Intel fanboys seemed to be less defensive since they knew netburst was unabashed junk.
May 11, 2008 3:34:05 AM

Wow, thunderman is good at making me laugh. Doesn't know jack about hardware though. Well, there's always that someone who insists he knows but doesn't, I suppose! :) 
May 11, 2008 3:41:51 AM

kg4icg said:
Yeah that new six core that you are so hyped on thunder dud is 2 tri cores glue together. Next time you might want to read deeper before you shoot off again.


You are mistaken my friend. I have read that the six core is going on one die, or native like the current phenoms. The 12 core is going to be on two dies, which is two 6 core stuck together like intels current quads, in case you didn't know or understand.

Next time you might want to read deeper before you shoot off.
May 11, 2008 4:14:52 AM

turpit said:
Thats beacuse in the Athlon XP and A 64 days, it was the AMD fanboys flaming the Intel fanboys. And it was there, though the Intel fanboys seemed to be less defensive since they knew netburst was unabashed junk.


turpit we all know you have a krunk AMD system......don't hide it. You won't list it because only dorks do that right............ :lol: 
May 11, 2008 4:16:42 AM

Mephistopheles said:
Wow, thunderman is good at making me laugh. Doesn't know jack about hardware though. Well, there's always that someone who insists he knows but doesn't, I suppose! :) 



You think this is funny, you should have seen the post where he "introduced" himself, down in the basement.
May 11, 2008 4:21:31 AM

caamsa said:
turpit we all know you have a krunk AMD system......don't hide it. You won't list it because only dorks do that right............ :lol: 



Ha, If I hadnt stupidly screwed up my beloved soyo mobo, Id still be running my Athlon 3200XP. And had AMD not been at capacity, with low yields on their high end products, and shorting the channel to supply Dell, and the retailers hadnt jacked the prices up, the 3200XP I screwed up would have been replaced by an X2 5000+.
May 11, 2008 4:55:07 AM

spuddyt said:
its so ironic after all the "double cheesburger" posts....



ROFL.



I love Thunderman. You just can't help but to love him!
May 11, 2008 4:56:30 AM

turpit said:
Ha, If I hadnt stupidly screwed up my beloved soyo mobo, Id still be running my Athlon 3200XP. And had AMD not been at capacity, with low yields on their high end products, and shorting the channel to supply Dell, and the retailers hadnt jacked the prices up, the 3200XP I screwed up would have been replaced by an X2 5000+.



Hmmm you sound a little bitter.........I have an ECS Nforce2 MB in the garage if you are interested. ;)  that would be perfect for your 3200+ XP.
May 11, 2008 6:07:00 AM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
ROFL.



I love Thunderman. You just can't help but to love him!

He's okay I guess, just not my type.
It would help if his "news" was a little more current.
Now AMD meltdown was a great troll. I especially liked his link that showed a duron frying. In the film, the hsf took off like a rocket.
The screen in the background said the duron was running at something like 6.4 ghz. That was too funny.
Why cant we get any really good amd trolls like that?
May 11, 2008 7:40:18 AM

caamsa said:
Hmmm you sound a little bitter.........I have an ECS Nforce2 MB in the garage if you are interested. ;)  that would be perfect for your 3200+ XP.



Too late. It went on Ebay for $125...$6 more than I paid for it.
May 11, 2008 7:42:54 AM

endyen said:
He's okay I guess, just not my type.
It would help if his "news" was a little more current.
Now AMD meltdown was a great troll. I especially liked his link that showed a duron frying. In the film, the hsf took off like a rocket.
The screen in the background said the duron was running at something like 6.4 ghz. That was too funny.
Why cant we get any really good amd trolls like that?


Oh cmon now....T man has picked up where 9-inch left off. We need someone to post out of date, incomplete, out of context info. Hell...maybe he is 9-inch
a b à CPUs
May 11, 2008 7:57:56 AM

thunderman your a god.

Keep it going buddy !!!


May 11, 2008 8:25:07 AM

Reynod said:
thunderman your a god.

Keep it going buddy !!!



You know, I know you've said your an austrailian guy, with a wife and kids, but are you sure you arent really a chic? Youve been oscillating over AMD so much the past 2 months, its like youre PMSing
May 11, 2008 9:07:55 AM

thunderman said:
AMD have already stated that future AM3 processors will be compatible with existing AM2+ motherboards....great backwards compatibility. However with Intel P35,X38,X48 that's the end of the road...so AM2+ users will enjoy the benefits of future CPU technology without the expense of DDR3 and New Motherboards.
The difference between AMD gluing and Intel gluing CPU'S together is that AMD maintains superior Technology while Intel still uses Antient FSB that was left behind by AMD LONG AGO. AMD are the smarter choice! Intel only went native Quad core because AMD have proven it's the right way forward...AMD are the first for most things...Intel copy constantly. Intel piggy pack off of AMDs success....AMD care for customers and that's important and are the real innovators! AMD are the masters and I will always follow them no matter what!

AMD filled a gap in the market with Triple core processing! Triple core is a real Innovation and many are applauding AMD's efforts! Intel have no Triple Core!

Here's a video of Triple core and it's outstanding, really exciting technology!

Blueray performance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V741rSx3-5U




Game performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd0Of4PnpQk

AMD4Life!


Intel for me

AMD4WIFE
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 11, 2008 7:17:27 PM

turpit said:
That is indeed fantasitic, albeit old news!!!

Now, AMD only has 74 cores left to catch up to Intel


LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Nice Terascale reference Turpit.

BTW do you have any info on Intels Dunnington CPU? I read somewhere that it was to be a Naitive 6 core CPU to be released before Nehalem and possible a LGA775 part but info on it is sparse.
May 11, 2008 7:43:24 PM

FHDelux said:

What is with the glued cores for the 12 core model, isn't native the only good way to make a multicore CPU. Man im REALLY starting to feel dizzy from all this AMD marketing spin. They should just fire all their marketing people and focus on making solid performing products again.


That was marketing spin to make up for the fact that you CANT double-cheeseburger K8 cores due to the way HT is implemented. From the get-go, there have been plans for multi-die Phenoms and Barcys.
May 11, 2008 8:06:06 PM

I thought the double cheeseburger design wasn't sophesticated enough for AMD?
May 11, 2008 8:11:08 PM

WOW....VERY IMPRESSIVE INDEED....NOT!

Newsflash: Intel announced native 8-core Beckton in 2007, which is scheduled to debut sometimes in 2009.

Seriously though, its hilarious to watch AMD to say one thing and do another. Back a while ago, AMD said it won't participate in the core count race, as Randy put it, "useless".

And now we see AMD announcing 6 core Istanbul and 12 core Magny-Cours.

What's next? AMD denouncing the war of "native cores", as Randy will probably puts it, "useless".
May 11, 2008 8:45:40 PM

like 2 see amd doing well, or intel just duz things like this,
taken from fudzilla, pissed me off know end it has

We've learned that Intel is going to change its policy on overclocking once it moves away from the LGA775 platform onto the desktop Nehalem platform, which is currently known as Bloomfield, which uses the LGA1366 socket. This will be the only platform from Intel which will overclock in the future, as the company is not going to support overclocking on other platforms.

Below the Bloomfield is the Lynnfield and Havendale processors, both using the LGA1160 socket. Neither of these are likely to get any overclocking abilities, although we're not sure how Intel can prevent third-party motherboard manufacturers from adding overclocking features to their boards.

However, with most of the Northbridge being located inside the CPU of these models, it might be possible for Intel to make some changes as to what the BIOS can access and how the bus speed is controlled. If this is indeed the case, then this is very sad news for all enthusiasts, as it means that a huge group of users will never be able to afford to buy an overclockable platform, from Intel, that is.

It's early days as yet and Intel might change its stance on this, but we find it peculiar that they've decided on this move; but it's never easy to figure out the reason why Intel does something.
May 12, 2008 12:22:22 AM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
I thought the double cheeseburger design wasn't sophesticated enough for AMD?


Dude you can't claim to be a former AMD fanboy until you drop that AMD system. ;) 


Now in my garage I have an old pentium 4 2.8 northwood and motherborad I could loan you then you could keep your title legit.

:D 

I hate to see such a good guy go down the wrong path....................... :non: 
May 12, 2008 7:26:44 AM

i like amd and i use it am wait for this
this is too late from amd's
!