Increase case fan speeds beyond specificaions

metmyworld

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
I want to overclock my PC but ihave a problem of casefan speeds and there topspeeds were 2000RPM how can iamake them to run atheast of 3500RPM.Idont Bother about noise

Q6600 2.4GHz stock cooler was running only 2000RPM max please helpme.......................

modmandan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006

I would strongly recommend against attempting this. It would require either pulling the fan apart and adding more wire to the windings or adding more voltage than the 12 volt they get.

Biggest number one problem is that the fins are designed for running at certain speeds and might fly apart if you do this. The easiest way to get more air flow is to get fans with a higher CFM (cubic feet per minute) rating. You will, of course need to know what you fans current rating is to get ones that perform better.

Hope this helps!

Liderc

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I wouldn't suggest overclocking until you're a bit more aware of the process.

As modmandan said, to speed up your current fans would be volt modding to allow more "juice" to go to the fans, which would result in premature fan failure.

If you wish to overclock, you will need a new heatsink to put on your processor(CPU), your fan speed is not the limiting factor, it's the stock heatsink on your Q6600.