Problems installing XP and system recognising drives

jt101

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
C:\\Users\Aimee\Desktop\Ebay Items\140820102342.jpg

Hi all

I'm having a rather perplexing situation with a self build system I'm trying to put back together.

It's a good ten years old now, and I trying to rebuild it after it was put in the attic for a couple of years.

I'm pretty computer savvy, but I've always struggled to confugure this RAID motherboard, but I've never encountered an error like this. I formatted a 60Gb Maxtor D740X-6L IDE drive with NTFS through an external harddrive connected to a laptop. THe drive is now blank.

I connected this as a master on Channel 3 IDE on my Abit KG7 RAID mother board. I also connected my CD Writer to IDE channel 2 as a master, with a copy of WIndows XP in it. (I connected it like this because it doesn't recognise my harddrive on Channel 1 or 2 on the first page.)

When I try to boot I get the following error: BOOTMGR is missing.

The strange thing is, as it boots it lists all four drive channels, and only shows Primary Master: 6L060J3 (presumably IDE channel 1). It does not show my CD writer, and infact the drive is connected to IDE channel 3. As you can see in attached photo1.

Then on the next page that comes up it doesn't show the harddrive at all, but shows the CD Writer as a slave on Channel 1 (I think), whereas it is connected to channel 2 in reality.

If I go into BIOS it shows the same as the first page that displayed i.e. Primary Master: MAXTOR 6L060J3

As I say, I could never understand the RAID configuration which seemed to mess everything up, but I did have it working before with my harddrive connected to Channel 2, and the writer on channel 3. I've never had this Bootmgr error before.

I just want it to recognise my master drive and allow me to install windows.

Thanks so much

Here are the specs:

Athlon XP 1800+
256MB DDR RAM
Abit KG7 RAID mother board
60Gb Maxtor D740X-6L IDE Harddrive
Hercules 3D Prophet KYRO Video Card

In the RAID BIOS screen, make sure any existing array is deleted.

You should also have an option in the BIOS to disable RAID.

Then look for the boot priority, and set the CD drive as the first boot device. Double check the jumpers on the drives to make sure they match the desired master/slave setting (or try the cable select setting).