Naked CPU? (CPU minus fan/heatsink)

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Is it a good idea to try to boot a computer with a CPU and everything without the CPU fan and heatsink?
Let me explain my situation, I have a motherboard that is questionable to work with the e8400. I found a CPU at a good deal a bit back, but there is not an RMA policy. If the e8400 didn't work with the board, then I would most likely sell it on ebay, so I don't want to use the thermal paste that is on the heatsink. I would just see if the motherboard would post with the E8400, and if it did boot, I would turn it off, and apply the heatsink and fan. If it didn't, I would just have to put the CPU back in the packaging and then put it on ebay.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
You would never get to the point of knowing if it worked or not, and I don't think anyone on ebay would like to buy a CPU that was fried.

4745454b

Titan
My brother did this. He bought an ~1600+ athlon and plugged it into his system. He didn't realize when he bought it that it wouldn't come with a heatsink. He wanted to know if the motherboard and memory worked however, and decided to boot just into the bios to make sure everything was right. He told me it didn't even finish detecting the IDE drives before the computer shut down. When his HSF did arrive, he discovered that the CPU had fried itself, and had to buy another CPU.

I agree with the monkey, In a longer word, don't.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
It takes less then 10 secs to fry a cpu like that.

Selling a fried CPU wont get you no where on Ebay. It will most likely turn into a chargeback and you will have to refund the money and be out a CPU, shipping, and ebay/paypal fees. Sounds like an expensive education to me.

It would be alot less headache to buy some thermal paste.

Look your mobo up on the manufacturer website. They will have a CPU support page. If its listed it will work with the right Bios version. If its not listed at all it wont work. Its as simple as that.

G

no definetly not... when I built this computer, the hsf was not seated properly, and wouldn' tboot... but now that I fixed the very small seating issue... it boots up... so no don't... wouldn't even boot with out the heatsink attached properly.