spanner

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2004

Yup, just got back yesterday. No new pics, I'm lazy about bringing my
camera. :) I'm stuck using Google groups to do this darn usenet
posting, though I read on another server, that's the main reason why I
don't post much anymore. I wonder what Ratz is up to...

"Spanner" <damon.cooke@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Yup, just got back yesterday. No new pics, I'm lazy about bringing my
> camera. :) I'm stuck using Google groups to do this darn usenet
> posting, though I read on another server, that's the main reason why I
> don't post much anymore. I wonder what Ratz is up to...

About time you checked in... :^) Where on this blue marble have you been
recently?

Quixote

"Spanner" <damon.cooke@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Yup, just got back yesterday. No new pics, I'm lazy about bringing my
> camera. :) I'm stuck using Google groups to do this darn usenet
> posting, though I read on another server, that's the main reason why I
> don't post much anymore. I wonder what Ratz is up to...

Hi Spanner. I'm lurking on this group mostly and am more active at tribalwar
forums.
My wife is 3 months (or so) pregnant we're expecting around the end of
August, first child.
Scary thing is i'll be pushing 50 while there's a teenager loose in the
house. eeek.

Quite the storm heading or way this afternoon, eh? calling for 25+ cm of the
white stuff. Hopefully it'll be winters last "Hurrah!" before spring.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Spanner wrote:
> Yup, just got back yesterday. No new pics, I'm lazy about bringing my
> camera. :) I'm stuck using Google groups to do this darn usenet
> posting, though I read on another server, that's the main reason why I
> don't post much anymore. I wonder what Ratz is up to...

I can dig 'lazy'!! I think it's been a week since I fired up
this skookum new toy. But I'm putting off the inevitable
laundry loads for a bit by claiming to be playing Spider solitaire.
Well, I *was* going to play, but I saw that the wee little
wireless network icon was glowing, so decided to pop in here
instead.
This is cool- No cords or wires, and here I am! Mind-blowing
to an old fart like myself. I can't wait for Good Neighbor Allen to
get our desktops connected to his DSL- $60 a month saved and
no big loss of speed, really.
Hmmmm, on and on I ramble............but, so anyway, I'm
*really* glad to hear from you! <big hugs here, if we weren't
just "virtually" chatting!>
So, tell us where you've been this winter, please. I haven't been
anywhere unless you count the grocery store & doctors' offices.

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Ratz2010 wrote:
> "Spanner" <damon.cooke@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Yup, just got back yesterday. No new pics, I'm lazy about bringing
>> my camera. :) I'm stuck using Google groups to do this darn usenet
>> posting, though I read on another server, that's the main reason why
>> I don't post much anymore. I wonder what Ratz is up to...
>>

> Hi Spanner. I'm lurking on this group mostly and am more active at
> tribalwar forums.
> My wife is 3 months (or so) pregnant we're expecting around the end of
> August, first child.
> Scary thing is i'll be pushing 50 while there's a teenager loose in
> the house. eeek.
>
> Quite the storm heading or way this afternoon, eh? calling for 25+ cm
> of the white stuff. Hopefully it'll be winters last "Hurrah!" before
> spring.

Congratulations!!!! And I'll trade you some hot weather for
some of your snow.......it was in the 90's here yesterday. :(
(Farenheit, of course.)

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:24:27 GMT, "Ratz2010" <noSpam@all.com> wrote:

>"Spanner" <damon.cooke@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Yup, just got back yesterday. No new pics, I'm lazy about bringing my
>> camera. :) I'm stuck using Google groups to do this darn usenet
>> posting, though I read on another server, that's the main reason why I
>> don't post much anymore. I wonder what Ratz is up to...
>>

>Hi Spanner. I'm lurking on this group mostly and am more active at tribalwar
>forums.
>My wife is 3 months (or so) pregnant we're expecting around the end of
>August, first child.
>Scary thing is i'll be pushing 50 while there's a teenager loose in the
>house. eeek.

I know the feeling. I'll be turning 50 the summer my oldest daughter
hits her 16th year of life. 53 when the next in line becomes 16.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:39:32 -0700, >^,,^< wrote:

> This is just too damn NEAT! Well, until the battery croaks,
> then I'll have to plug myself back in. WHY don't these batteries last
> longer?!?!? You'd think with all the other advances that we could
> have a damn battery that would last a good eight hours by now.
> <sends out righteous indignation vibes>

Sheesh, are you women never happy about battery life?

(sez he, remembering his gripes about his cameras pisspoor battery
lifespans)

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Smeghead wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:24:27 GMT, "Ratz2010" <noSpam@all.com> wrote:
>

>> "Spanner" <damon.cooke@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Yup, just got back yesterday. No new pics, I'm lazy about bringing
>>> my camera. :) I'm stuck using Google groups to do this darn usenet
>>> posting, though I read on another server, that's the main reason
>>> why I don't post much anymore. I wonder what Ratz is up to...
>>>

>> Hi Spanner. I'm lurking on this group mostly and am more active at
>> tribalwar forums.
>> My wife is 3 months (or so) pregnant we're expecting around the end
>> of August, first child.
>> Scary thing is i'll be pushing 50 while there's a teenager loose in
>> the house. eeek.
>
> I know the feeling. I'll be turning 50 the summer my oldest daughter
> hits her 16th year of life. 53 when the next in line becomes 16.

Oh you poor, poor, old thing. <snicker>

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:08:27 +0200, Frank van Schie wrote:

[Slight snip]

> WTF am I using long words?

cuz uv foudn a dicshunari?

--

Frank van Schie wrote, snipped a lot:
> At least you'd get one of those cool electric scooters. Zoom past mere
> pedestrians at breakneck speeds! Simply apologize and look confused
> when you clip some annoying kids at 15mph in a shopping mall. Old age
> has never been so much fun.

I've got one. Imagine how pissed I was that it didn't
come in purple. So I settled for "electric blue", a nice
metalflake. But it'll be purple before long. :D
I've already got a load of stories about using one of these-
seems to bring out the best *and* worst in folks when I
shop here.
I'm planning on going ahead with back surgery later this
year, so if all goes well, I'll just put up my scooter until I'm
*really* old & decrepit.
And at that time I'll be taking aim at the little brat urchins
running and screaming all over Wal Mart. Or their parents.
Because now, when I clip one, it's because they ran into me,
not the other way 'round.

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Smeghead wrote, among other folks:
> That's okay. I have this perpetual 17 year-old self image that
> sometimes clashes harshly with reality. Say, like when I catch my own
> reflection unexpectedly and you have that unbridled moment of cruel
> truth when you see yourself as you would a stranger, without the
> benefit of all the filters we use to convince ourselves we're
> something we're not.

This last paragraph ^ *perfectly* describes me these last two
years or so. I don't think I've mentioned it in here yet, but my long
reddish-brown hair has turned white. None of my online buddies
has seen me for at least a couple of years, so quite a few folks have
a shock coming next time we meet.
I've left it long, though, so I've got a full head of white hair down
past my waist. I suppose part of the reason I won't cut it is because
it's sort of a security blanket- just something from my youth I'm not
willing to give up.

>> You, however, I estimated to be older. Probably conflating you and a
>> (irregular) regular on another group, though he tends to be more...
>> extreme.

Hey, it wasn't just me! I thought Randy was closer to 40.

> I figured him to be older too. But then, I was blown away to find you,
> Frank, are as young as you are. You have an air of maturity about your
> postings. Not that you come off as dull or "old", just knowledgable.
>
> A "wise-beyond-your-years" kind of thing, I guess.

I think I blurted out something along those lines a few years ago
when Frank stated his age. Something like, "No f00king WAY, dude!"

>> Fathering bastards, how classic of you!

ROFL

>> WTF am I using long words?
>
> He does that to people. It's a Jedi Mind Trick thing.
>
> Next thing you know, you'll be using obscure colloquialisms and
> various other protracted terminology as a replacement for
> comprehensible and to-the-point statements.

Then he can work for the government. :)

--

">^,,^<" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:424a5965$4_4
@cosmos.uncensored-news.com:

> I've already got a load of stories about using one of these-
> seems to bring out the best *and* worst in folks when I
> shop here.

Linda's got a "franken-chair" made from parts assembled from dead electric
chairs found at the local "Urban Ore", a place that recycles stuff from
remodeling. Her biggest complaint is the people who either back into her or
walk over her as if she's invisible. (Happens a lot if we go to a trade
show, esp. when it's crowded.) Worse is the kids who think she's a climbing
toy. (Like when we go to a theme park like Marine World.) Yet worse is the
parents who do nothing about it. I keep suggesting that we need an electric
cattle catcher or maybe some spikes.

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:18:39 -0600, ScratchMonkey
<scratchmonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>">^,,^<" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:424a5965$4_4
>@cosmos.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> I've already got a load of stories about using one of these-
>> seems to bring out the best *and* worst in folks when I
>> shop here.
>
>Linda's got a "franken-chair" made from parts assembled from dead electric
>chairs found at the local "Urban Ore", a place that recycles stuff from
>remodeling. Her biggest complaint is the people who either back into her or
>walk over her as if she's invisible. (Happens a lot if we go to a trade
>show, esp. when it's crowded.) Worse is the kids who think she's a climbing
>toy. (Like when we go to a theme park like Marine World.) Yet worse is the
>parents who do nothing about it. I keep suggesting that we need an electric
>cattle catcher or maybe some spikes.

Throw in some hellfire missiles, a 20mm foreward firing chaingun and
an oil slick sprayer, and you just might have a market!

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> ">^,,^<" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:424a5965$4_4
> @cosmos.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> I've already got a load of stories about using one of these-
>> seems to bring out the best *and* worst in folks when I
>> shop here.
>
> Linda's got a "franken-chair" made from parts assembled from dead
> electric chairs found at the local "Urban Ore", a place that recycles
> stuff from remodeling. Her biggest complaint is the people who either
> back into her or walk over her as if she's invisible. (Happens a lot
> if we go to a trade show, esp. when it's crowded.) Worse is the kids
> who think she's a climbing toy. (Like when we go to a theme park like
> Marine World.) Yet worse is the parents who do nothing about it. I
> keep suggesting that we need an electric cattle catcher or maybe some
> spikes.

I can *so* relate. Hispanic men are the worst here- they will
deliberately block the aisle with their shopping cart, turning it
sideways if necessary. WTF is up with that?!?!? Then I turn invisible,
and they turn deaf when I say, "Excuse me." I used to back up, and
go down another aisle. Nowadays I just plow into their cart, moving it.

About 4 weeks ago, I was in an aisle with three children, all of them
between about 5 and 10 years old. They began a pillow fight with the
store's new stock, bouncing pillows off of me and everything else. So
I spoke up- "Stop that! This isn't a playground- where's your mother?"
A voice behind me says, "I'm right here! They're not doing anything
wrong."

I couldn't believe my ears. I don't remember my exact words, but
you can be sure I did my best to educate the young woman on proper
shopping behavior. I was livid in a nanosecond- when I get mad, I do
so lightening fast.

I was right, you know. My generation raised a generation of complete
and utter idiots who are now raising a whole generation of little Charlie
Mansons.

--

On 30 Mar 2005 21:15:41 GMT, ">^,,^<" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote:

>ScratchMonkey wrote:
>> ">^,,^<" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:424a5965$4_4
>> @cosmos.uncensored-news.com:
>>
>>> I've already got a load of stories about using one of these-
>>> seems to bring out the best *and* worst in folks when I
>>> shop here.
>>
>> Linda's got a "franken-chair" made from parts assembled from dead
>> electric chairs found at the local "Urban Ore", a place that recycles
>> stuff from remodeling. Her biggest complaint is the people who either
>> back into her or walk over her as if she's invisible. (Happens a lot
>> if we go to a trade show, esp. when it's crowded.) Worse is the kids
>> who think she's a climbing toy. (Like when we go to a theme park like
>> Marine World.) Yet worse is the parents who do nothing about it. I
>> keep suggesting that we need an electric cattle catcher or maybe some
>> spikes.
>

> I can *so* relate. Hispanic men are the worst here- they will
>deliberately block the aisle with their shopping cart, turning it
>sideways if necessary. WTF is up with that?!?!? Then I turn invisible,
>and they turn deaf when I say, "Excuse me." I used to back up, and
>go down another aisle. Nowadays I just plow into their cart, moving it.
>
> About 4 weeks ago, I was in an aisle with three children, all of them
>between about 5 and 10 years old. They began a pillow fight with the
>store's new stock, bouncing pillows off of me and everything else. So
>I spoke up- "Stop that! This isn't a playground- where's your mother?"
> A voice behind me says, "I'm right here! They're not doing anything
>wrong."
>
> I couldn't believe my ears. I don't remember my exact words, but
>you can be sure I did my best to educate the young woman on proper
>shopping behavior. I was livid in a nanosecond- when I get mad, I do
>so lightening fast.
>
> I was right, you know. My generation raised a generation of complete
>and utter idiots who are now raising a whole generation of little Charlie
>Mansons.

I call it Dr. Spock's Fatal Error.

Corporeal punishment. There's a lot to be said for sane and reasonable
discipline.

I wouldn't have dared behave the way I see kids acting in public these
days. Partly because it wasn't acceptable, and I knew it, and partly
because I knew there was a physical consequence.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Smeghead wrote:
> I call it Dr. Spock's Fatal Error.
>
> Corporeal punishment. There's a lot to be said for sane and reasonable
> discipline.
>
> I wouldn't have dared behave the way I see kids acting in public these
> days. Partly because it wasn't acceptable, and I knew it, and partly
> because I knew there was a physical consequence.

That's the way I was raised, and raised my kids. Kids need
limits, and they need consequences when they cross the limits.
Not oft-repeated idle threats.

--

">^,,^<" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:424b25ee$1_6
@cosmos.uncensored-news.com:

> I was thinking more along the lines of a cattle prod.......

My idea exactly. A good alternative would be some electric mesh around the
perimeter of the chair. Like the shell around the bottom of Davros of the
Daleks or Captain Pike, but at 80 skillion volts. Bump into it at your own
risk. Should be easy enough to adapt one of those electric animal fences
for dogs.

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:57:28 -0600, ScratchMonkey
<scratchmonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>">^,,^<" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:424b25ee$1_6
>@cosmos.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> I was thinking more along the lines of a cattle prod.......
>
>My idea exactly. A good alternative would be some electric mesh around the
>perimeter of the chair. Like the shell around the bottom of Davros of the
>Daleks or Captain Pike, but at 80 skillion volts. Bump into it at your own
>risk. Should be easy enough to adapt one of those electric animal fences
>for dogs.

Tendrils of arching power snapping out and finding ground in obnoxious
children as you motor on grimly past their charred remains.

I like it!

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Frank van Schie wrote:
> Indeed. And he's about five now, you said? I remember pics of you with
> the newborn.
>
> Time flies, when you're having whatever the hell I'm having.

Oh! No way! The baby *can't* be that old!
(omygoshwhatifhe'sright!eeeeeeeeeeeek!!!!)

--

Smeghead wrote, in part:
> I got my fair share of red-ass action as a kid. But never at any time
> was there a question of whether my dad and mom loved me. I knew I was
> in the wrong.
>
> These Spockers like to portray people who apply hand to butt as
> vicious abusers who swoop down in a rage and leave a sobbing, abused
> shell of a child behind for the slightest infraction.

Well put!