Power supply sockets

Silhorn

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Hi,

I was just looking at the psu's they supply at an online store.

And i noticed in the specifications it says something like
.....SATAx1,HDDx4

1.Does the HDD mean i can connect 4 IDE devices?
2. i had 2 sata drives i would need 1 sata sockets for each drive right?
3. I notice that it says 1xPCIe. So my PCIe graphics card needs a power socket to it too? (in the old days agp's didnt)
4. I have an old psu like 5 years old. It does not have any pcie or sata sockets. Would i be possible (i dont think so but i ask just in case) to modify it by putting the needed needed new sockets in?

1. IDE hard drives use a 4 pin molex for 12v power from the power supply. 2. Each SATA HD will need a SATA HD 12v power connector. 3.The PSU supplys a PCIE 6 pin connector. Your video card may or may not require a PCIE 12v connector. 4. You can install PCIE and SATA HD power connectors to any PSU.

Silhorn

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Thanks for the link very helpful
ok so is HDD and HDD Molex is the same thing?
And about connecting new sockets to the psu, do i just open the cover and plug em in? Or are they all soldered on?

Is there a website that shows how to do it with pictures?

An IDE HD uses a standard 4 pin power connector from the the PSU. A SATA HD uses a SATA power connector from the PSU. There are both standard 4 pin power connector and SATA connector adapters. No soldering required for these adapters.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Are you talking about a modular PSU or adaptors to change the socket?

Silhorn

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
oh maybe i might be talking about the wrong thing?

I mean the cables that come out of the power supply. I have got an old power supply and there is no SATA power connector comming out from it. What i'm asking is can i modify the power supply to add a SATA connector to it?

Silhorn

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Ahhh alright alright i understand
So you can just use the convertor cables to change the power sockets
I just thought that SATA and IDE would require different amounts of power so doing that would be impossible but now i know that you can get those things.

One more thing though i have seen for the IDE and SATA data cables you cannot do this but must get an adaptor card if you wanted to?

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Correct, IDE and sata communicate differently with the system (IDE=parallel, sata=serial) so if you don't have sata ports you need a add-on card.