Maximus SE compatability with 2 x HD3870X2 ?

Im sure this has probably been covered before, but like an increasing number of things on these forums the search isnt working.
My question is as stated in the title. Will two HD 3870 X2 cards work together in CrossfireX on a maximus SE X38 mother board. I have scoured other threads and the net but cant seem to get a definitive answer one way or the other.
Im asking because a friend wants to build a new rig and wants the option available should he want to put two in after he has tried one.
I know he should wait for th enew cards but hes a want it now kind of person so i said i would try and help him find out.
The official CrossfireX graph says yes to a X38 board but some on the net say they have had issues getting them to run with the maximus.
Thanks Mactronix

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Crossfire support depends on the chipset, which the X38 chipset on this board supports. CrossfireX support is in the drivers if I'm not mistaken. So, as long has you have the 8.3 or later drivers, it should work.

Arson94

Thanks to you and badge, Just wasnt sure if there would be an issue with the board thinking it had its max 2 cards installed because it read 1 X2 as 2 cards.
Again thanks for clearing it up.
Mactronix

If you are building the board, do not install the Ai Suite utility. There is a fix for that utility on the product web page you must have, otherwise the keyboard will not be recognized with the Driver CD install of the utility. Also, some of the mid release BIOSs have temp reading issues. I have used BIOS versions 907 and 1004 for many months without issue. The board is very fast and provides the groundwork for an exceptionally fun, high powered build. I have run both the q6600 and the e8400 as well as the Radeon 3870 and 8800GTS 640. No problem. I love this board.

Thanks again I will pass it on.
Mactronix