Flashing HD3870 bios

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
hello,
I have an MSI RX3870 OC edition (T2D512E) video card... The fan is loud as hell and is constantly running at 80%... supposedly a bios flash fixes this issue, but I've never had to flash a vid card bios before and want to make sure I do it right...

Can someone tell me the proper procedure, I'm having a hard time finding a good how-to guide for flashing GPU bios.

Thanks

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I would be careful flashing your gpu's bios. I did that with my x800gto a few years ago and it ended up killing my card. But that was because I was using a modified bios to unlock the extra 4 pipelines. I do not recommend doing this solely for more performance.

If you want the fan speed to go down, simply use Atitool to control your fan settings.
When i flashed my bios, I had to have a floppy disk that allowed me to boot into DOS and insert the modified bios that way. I don't remember how I did it exactly and I assume that flashing your 3870 might be different. I had help from someone who did the same thing on their card, but I doubt that he's still on Tom's anymore. :(

I will post with an update later.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Ok, found a guide from a quick search on yahoo. If this one doesn't work, there are other ones out there.

http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=34

This one specifically mentions Ati, so it should help.

I don't know if that guide mentions it, but you MUST create a copy of your gpu's original bios in case it is f'd up. I think I remember that you can use Atitool to save the bios.

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
sweet thx for the info guys... Rabidbunny, I used that link and it was exactly what I was looking for... kinda funny because I went to that website, but I guess I got an older link and it was describing ATI cards from back in the day, so I thought it was useless.

Anyway I flashed my card and it's whisper quiet now, at least when i'm not gaming :)... in fact my entire case is, just imagine how loud it was before the update!!!

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Sweet! congrats. At least you know that you did it right...:)
Yeah, as long as that bios only changed the fan speed and NOT the shaders, core, or memory clock speeds, your card should be good to go!