billybobbuddy

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I just signed up to your site and I am already impressed with it, so I put it under my favorites! I also saw your CPU chart and was very impressed with it as well! It had to be very time consuming and the information had to be very hard to put together!
But, with that said, I saw that under your CPU's to avoid, I was very surprised that the Pentium D CPU was mentioned! I had my computer built to my specifications and I put the specs to it, in with my profile. So, as you can see, I run a Pentium D CPU myself. I have had it for over a year now and have had no problems or trouble with it! It is plenty fast and is clocked @ 3.00GHz, which is faster then most Pentium Core 2 Duo CPU's! So, I guess what I am trying to say, is that I disagree with your opinion about Pentium D's! They are very good CPU's and should not always be avoided in my humble opinion! Thank you.

halcyon

Splendid
Well, Billy. I have an old Pentium D 3.2Ghz too in a Dell XPS 600 I bought in early '06 (now my wife's rig). The Pent D is a CPU to avoid because they are:

1. VERY HOT (so if you need a space heater, the Pentium D will work wonders)

2. The slower clocked Core 2's destroy the Pentium D's as they're much faster clock-for-clock (they get much more work done during the same clock cycle, due to much more efficient architecture). So the Core 2's can have a slower clock speed and can still be much faster processors.

Thus, this is why the Pentium D's are on any list of CPUs to avoid. :(

4745454b

Titan
I would rather run a 21xx chip then the old Pentium Ds. They might be clocked fast, but the pipeline is so long that they can't really get anything done. (at least compared to the Athlons or C2Ds.) Clock speed isn't everything, just because its clocked higher doesn't mean its faster.

halcyon

Splendid

The CPU charts are not meant to be a personal attack on your computer, you are not meant to be offended. Again, if you live in Alaska or, say, the South Pole that Pentium D can do double duty as a space heater, so I guess its more efficient that way. Given today's technology most people would prefer to have a processor that runs cooler, uses less energy, and has the side benefit of being faster. Enter Core 2.