CPU fans compatible with P5KC

AnubisReturns

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
I've decided to get a new HSF for my Q6600 @ 3.0 on a P5K-C, idling at 47C and load near 80+ isn't where i want to be. I've been looking at a few Scythes and Coolermasters, particularly:

CM Hyper 212
Scythe Ninja series
Scythe Zipang - blow down cooler to accommodate my high CFM side fan

My main concern is if any of these will fit. The northbridge heatsink is pretty close to the cpu slot, which i measured to be roughly 25mm tall. The ram seems like it wont be a problem. My case is a Thermaltake Tsunamidream and looks like it'll fit most of the larger coolers, 140mm tall or 160mm if i remove the side fan.
Does anybody have this motherboard with any of the above coolers or any other aftermarket one that fits and cools well? Are there any better ones in the $40CAD price range?

jesseheichertiii

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Try the Arctic Freezer 7 for about 26.99 on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

Works just as good as the $40+ ones sometimes better, and its pretty quiet and small and itll fit good in your case and everything.

Most aftermarket coolers these days perform just as/a LITTLE tiny bit better than stock coolers so I'd skimp out on the fancy aftermarket HSF's and just get a high quality thermal paste and apply it to the stock and you should be good to go.

If you think that sounds reasonable, well, here -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

(im broke too, so I understand)

AnubisReturns

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
I've actually heard that the Freezer 7 pro fan is quite loud at full speed from a friend that has one. Though it is a nice cheap cooler.
I've managed to find a OCZ Vendetta 2 for the same going price of the Freezer 7 Pro.
In terms of noise that seems to be quite good, it also looks like it'll clear the NB on my board as the pipes curve up at 90 degrees unlike the Hyper 212 I've been eying.
In terms of performance I believe the Hyper 212 is better. It's only $10 more than the V2 or F7Pro here. The only thing holding me back is the doubt it may not fit.
Any other opinions or suggestions are appreciated.