Asus A8AE-LE not booting at all

weedvender

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Bear with me since I am typing on a crappy Mac keyboard.
One of my clients recently described to me that her socket 939 Asus A8AE-LE froze while she was using the internet and never booted again.

I dissasembled the motherboard and switched the ram (Hynyx), the processor (3800+), and the PSU (24 pin) to my socket 939. They all worked like a charm on my Foxxconn.
However, when placing my components (Hynyx memory (same type as her's) , 3500+, and psu (20 pin) back into the Asus, nothing worked.
I took apart the motherboard from her case and tinkered at everything I could think of, even the jumpers but nothing would turn on. The only things that would turn on were components connected directly to the PSU. The fans connected to the motherboard dont even turn on.

I then thought the motherboard was to blame but getting a new one was hard becase it was no longer being manufactured.

So I ask my client if she would like to keep her windows partition and order the same motherboard or reformat but upgrade to an AM2. She told me that she would rather me get the same motherboard as the one before.
I got the same model number off ebay (working, tested) shipped to me and I stumbled upon the same issue. The new motherboard would not boot and shows the same issues as the other motherboard. Can anyone help?

I have tried 5 different power supplies, but I haven't tried different ram since my type is the same as her's. Any suggetions or does Asus make a crappy board?

So, her RAM, PSU, and CPU - all of which were working on an ASUS A8AE-LE - have all tested good on your MOBO? And yet another MOBO identical to hers will not boot same components?

Unless there is something you are missing about how to start up this particular board it looks like you got a bad one, again. That's not very likely, but not impossible. Yet, it's off EBAY. Hmmm

I trust you have tried to start it up in a barebones setup outside the case?

4 pin CPU aux plugged in?

You say the board was working/tested? Can you ask the seller what he tested it with?

weedvender

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
The RAM, CPU, and PSU from her original fried board were all working when i transplanted them to my board. I transplanted my components and they did not work on her original board.
Upon getting the board from ebay, the same thing happened. But I really dont want to believe this is a faulty board.

I just asked the seller but I am awaiting a response.

Yes, I did try the Aux 4 pin.

irogag

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
I know this post is old but I want to give the community some information I've discovered on this A8AE-LE motherboard:

After two days troubleshooting and trying so many different things, IT WAS THE BATTERY!!!

This motherboard WILL NOT POST IF THE BATTERY IS MISSING OR LOW VOLTAGE (or if it does, will not reboot and will hang windows xp on startup)

egravers

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011

Good info, thx; all the "Upgrading and Servicing Guide" says is that a failing battery will cause the time to be incorrect :)

I have same MB in a Compaq Presario SR1750NX Desktop PC from Feb 2006.

The thing simply will not boot - and the funny thing is that it was running just fine and then I uninstalled Symantec Security Suite (provided by Comcast), and then it said that to complete the uninstall, I needed to reboot...

It never came back from that shutdown!

I have replaced the battery (it looked bad-ish ~1volt), reset the RTC and BIOS password via the jumpers, but still cannot make the thing boot.

At the moment I have disconnected the DVD & the HD and removed the GeForce graphics card, the 1Gigabit network card and the extra Firewire card from the PCI slots and yanked the extra 1GB of DDR.

It now is as shipped in 2006, except no disks and with a new battery.

So with the LCD connected to the internal VGA and a keyboard in the PS/2 port I cannot even get into the BIOS - nothing displays on screen and the keyboard does not seem to have any effect.

When I turn the power ON, the CPU and CASE fans go full speed and stay that way.

Any ideas?,
is it possible that a scorned and vengeful Symantec/Norton uninstall just wiped my BIOS??
and if so is there any way to get it back???

irogag

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Try the other RAM, try either in all different spots / configurations.

That is an odd problem, I would think maybe it's just a coincidence with the shutdown of Symantec.

Trying removing cpu and re-installing.

To make sure the BIOS clears correctly, I first shut down machine, then set CMOS jumper to clear, then set it back. Then I put it back to clear, then turn it on, wait 10 seconds then off. Then set jumper back to normal, turn on, carefully put jumper to CLEAR, then carefully pull it off. Just in case the mobo doesn't take it right away.

You should be gaining on-board video then....I would think.

traveler25

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I had the exact same problem, everyone said it couldn't be the power supply because all my fans were running, power supply fan, case fan, cpu fan - which was running high. It WAS the power supply, should have gone with my gut instinct from the beginning.

Mike Selvage

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
I recently acquired a similar 'no boot' problem with a Compaq SR1750NX. I leave the unit on all the time, and it is plugged into a surge protector. The other night we had a 'quick' power 'fluctuation' for about 2-3 seconds. In the morning I found the computer displaying the "windows is shutting down" on the monitor. I waited about 10 minutes and no change so I figured it was a 'hung' driver and pushed (and held) the power button. It shut down. Now if I depress the power button it get a quick green flash from the LED under the power button -- and nothing. The green light on the power supply is on steady. When I say I get nothing - I mean nothing - no fans even budge -- no nothing. The CR2032 CMOS battery is about 7 years old and I get a 1.7 - 2.1 volt reading from it. I'm thinking it it the start circuit in the MB. As I understand it that circuit needs to connect to ground to complete a circuit that tells the power supply "Fire Up". Does anyone have suggestions on how to test the power supply? I'll replace the CMOS battery but if that doesn't work it's either the start circuit or the power supply.