Freezer?

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
would it be a good ideal to put a air cooled cpu with like 7 120mm fans ect. in a freezer and set the temp to like 36? I'm considering modding my freezer so it would have a hole for cords and insilation.

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
^- What he said

Humidity will always be in a Freezer..no way around it even with a dehumidifier but thats just getting..and even thinking of doing something like that isn't cost effective..and just mildly..crazy.

If you do it im putting 50 bucks on your system shorting out and damaging the hardware due to environmental conditions..

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
yah +1 to that =] unless you wanna somehow insulate EVERYTHING (ie every bit of hte mobo PCB :p), thats impossible. unless... how did they do that complete liquid submersion "reactor" pc?

m_silkstone

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
There is a correct way to do this, i can;t remember where i read it tho :(
You can always coat you mobo in silicon gel (leave holes for the heatsinks) and also total immersion in mineral oil would work.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
well sure the oil idea is alright.. except for how the hell are you gonna try and take everything out again? :lol:

i would say get a custom case or acrylic case... otmshardware actually has a vid on an oil cooled computer...

does that mean you take all the fans out though? an what about all those little gaps in the PSU? are you meant to pour the oil into the PSU? cos if you didnt it would get condensation inside..

hard drive/optical drives? how are they gonna roll with the oil?

m_silkstone

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

I would get kinda messy when you took everything out, and you'd have to try not to get oil in the connectors!
But what people generally would do, is seal the connectors with silicon sealant before putting it in oil.
When you need to take it out, wipe it all down and remove the silicone sealant.
And yeah, you'd have to take all of the fans out.
Oil in the PSU would be fine, as long as it wasn't conductive.
You use external optical drives if you put your comp in the freezer. just drill a hole thru the wall for the cable.
HD's can be above the oil, but insulted, you'd have to turn the freezer off when they weren't running to to avoid them locking up. Another alternative is to use eSATA drives.

TRENDING THREADS