Sign in with
Your question

home made case questions

Last response: in Systems
April 12, 2008 3:13:12 PM

I'm looking at building my own case.
I'm thinking wood, or a wood product.

assuming I don't use a mobo tray from an existing case, what do I use for mobo standoffs?

also does case conductivity matter?
I see acrylic cases so I assume not, but I also see all the contact spings on a motherboard touching the back pannel.

is thier any risk of not having the components grownded?
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2008 8:48:48 PM

Your system will be grounded through the power supply wiring. No case grounding is needed.
Any set of 9 bushings of equal length can be used as standoffs. I recommend that they be plastic unless the inside diameter fits the mounting screws well enough to prevent their wandering off center.
April 13, 2008 9:23:58 PM

wood particles become a problem, stain does as well. do all the wood work, then use a good lacquer or similar clear coat that can be whiped clean.

standoffs you can secure a machine screw to the paneel, then use wood plastic or metal to space the motherboard out evenly on all studs, and use a nut to tighten it down. i would use a plastic or rubber washer as an insulator on both sides of the motherboard
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2008 9:55:10 PM

rockbyter said:
wood particles become a problem, stain does as well. do all the wood work, then use a good lacquer or similar clear coat that can be whiped clean.

standoffs you can secure a machine screw to the paneel, then use wood plastic or metal to space the motherboard out evenly on all studs, and use a nut to tighten it down. i would use a plastic or rubber washer as an insulator on both sides of the motherboard

Not such a good idea. Those standoff screws are usually used to ground the motherboards to the case.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2008 9:56:34 PM

Newf said:
Your system will be grounded through the power supply wiring. No case grounding is needed.
Any set of 9 bushings of equal length can be used as standoffs. I recommend that they be plastic unless the inside diameter fits the mounting screws well enough to prevent their wandering off center.

Agreed.BUT, some graphic cards (the PCI bracket), motherboards use the case for grounding.
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2008 8:39:08 PM

What is the case grounded to?
April 14, 2008 8:51:50 PM

the psu can act as ground.as the 24pin connect have ground inside.

the best way would be use some thin plastic tube cut them to the required height and act as standoff.and the screw will go through the tube to the wood.

Screw mobbo plastic tube(standoff) wood
^ ^ ^ ^
|| ______ ||
====> || ______ ||
|| ||
April 14, 2008 9:27:09 PM

A lot of standoffs are plastic so grounding through the standoffs does not exist.

I have a wooden case.

I used several pieces of 1/2"x1/2"x10" as rails to support the standoffs. Drilled holes in them. Screwed in metal standoffs. Fastened these strips to the motherboard and glued the strips in place. Removed the exposed screws. And the standoffs were in the proper location.

Provides lots of room to route wires under the motherboard.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2008 9:45:22 PM

iluvgillgill said:
the psu can act as ground.as the 24pin connect have ground inside.

the best way would be use some thin plastic tube cut them to the required height and act as standoff.and the screw will go through the tube to the wood.

Screw mobbo plastic tube(standoff) wood
^ ^ ^ ^
|| ______ ||
====> || ______ ||
|| ||

True, but if you ever opened up a PSU pretty much all of the PSUs have a wire that actually grounds the PSU case itself. Thus anything connected to the PSU case is grounded, so when the PSU is connected to the case the case is also grounded.
April 14, 2008 10:42:14 PM

Performance PC's and others sell just motherboard trays. I used one with my case. I think they're about $30.

Good luck the one I made got it out of my system for life. It's also cost me well over $1000 and still needs finishing touches. Made from a 1:1 replica of a 426 Hemi block. I had high hopes for the V8/Skulltrail platform until I saw how bad it sucked.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
April 14, 2008 11:01:54 PM

^Post some pics once you are done with the mod.
April 14, 2008 11:07:08 PM

is buying a case that expensive?lol
April 15, 2008 6:03:29 AM

I'm thinking the grounding might be just for static. I know I was always told to touch the case first to disapate the static charge.

has anyone had much experience with acrylic cases? they aren't grounded.

I think I'll be ably to lay my hands an old case with a tray, or maybe use a 1u server as the basis.

the point of the exercise isn't that I'm too cheap to buy a case, its that there isn't a case availiable that fits the bill.

I had always thought of doing a v8 case myself. the plan was to use a chrome air cleaner, to keep the dust out, then exhaust it out some header pipes with red LEDs and "flame" fabric fluttering in the exhaust breeze. maybe someday...
April 15, 2008 10:39:30 AM

very interesting idea!are you installing this pc to your car or something?with headup display on the windscreen that shows the desktop!that would be so cool!!!
!