your favorite threads to reply to

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
I've been out of the game for a few months.. and just took advantage of the DDR2 prices..

I'm into intel world now.. like many of us have gone..

e8400, 4gb OCZ reaper memory pc6400?, the cheap gigabyte board.. x1950xt.. or a 7900gt (sadly both do about the same)..

I'm building a computer for someone.. and when i do this.. i usually find creative ways to upgrade my own.. i was planning on giving him my 7900gt and my current mobo and buying myself an affordable SLI board for the price to build this computer.. but umm.. affordable sli does not exist?

My question: My tinkerer fingers are twitching for Sli, but is it really worth it at all?.. one bit..? Yes i have read some reviews, looked at charts, but in the opinions of people like me.. is it worth it? Or should i hold out and buy an affordable higher end card and just stick with single slot?

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
some of us never entered the over rated amd world

athlons never multitasked well, the slight lead was only with all back programs off and single tasks

i take a 4ghz p4 anytime over any single core amd

amd short lead was from may of 05 to july of 06

o ya!~ your question!

1950 pro is great card

first, you need 1066 memory to get 1:1 and proper oc to 4ghz with 8400 chips. ddr800 will have odd ratios

sli is really good today

dual 9600 or 8800gts 512 g92 are both nice set ups and recommended

the 9800gx2 is a good card too

close call

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
Hmm.. the memory should OC me to 3.6ish though correct? That was what i was looking for.. i'll probably have this cpu for 2 years. I love pushing it to the max.. but 4ghz its a bit too much for me to use every day ;).. nonetheless i'll just build his computer and buy 4gb of the same memory just the pc1066 stuff and swap 'em.. he wont be oc'ing ^^

I inherited this x1950xt from a friend.. it's been artifacting and he's too lazy to do anything about it.. think this VRM chip over heating is it? it hits 75c.. and artifacts.. or do you think the memory is toast?