Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

2GB Fast Ram vs 3GB of Slow Ram?

Last response: in Components
Share
May 11, 2008 6:01:56 PM

which is better? 2GB Fast Ram vs 3GB of Slow Ram?
May 11, 2008 6:32:25 PM

2GB fast RAM
PS whats the latencys.
May 11, 2008 6:36:01 PM

In a dual channel motherboard you need an even number of modules.
In this case unless you already have 2 sticks of 512MB and would like to buy 2x 1GB I would not advise a 3GB configuration. In fact with the current pricerates a quality 2x2GB kit costs close to $100 so that is the only logical choice.
Related resources
May 11, 2008 6:40:33 PM

sabot00 said:
2GB fast RAM
PS whats the latencys.


timeing: 4-4-4-12
speed: DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)

2x 1GB sticks
May 11, 2008 7:02:24 PM

Vista use 1+gb of ram. Crysis use 2+gb after a few hours of gameplay. Most other new games use at least 1+gb. 2gb is not enough those days.

Get 4gb and have 0.5 of it wasted if you have 32bit os. How much does 2 more gb of ddr2 800 cost those days? $35? :sarcastic: 
May 11, 2008 7:21:42 PM

Yea im stuck with a 32-bit OS, too broke to buy a 64bit OS, 3GB most i can put in atm :/  I know what you are saying, when I play call of duty 4 on-line my mem jumps to 94% used when it idles on the desktop at 30% used out of 2GB of ram on a Vista OS (I know I cant get XP to run wont pick up my HD controller and when I load drivers still dose not work anyways...) thx I think I might go with 2x1GB stick of fastest my mobo can handle. Thanks for the info been a big help I wanted to know the answer to that for a wile
May 11, 2008 9:04:46 PM

liljone said:
Yea im stuck with a 32-bit OS, too broke to buy a 64bit OS, 3GB most i can put in atm :/  I know what you are saying, when I play call of duty 4 on-line my mem jumps to 94% used when it idles on the desktop at 30% used out of 2GB of ram on a Vista OS (I know I cant get XP to run wont pick up my HD controller and when I load drivers still dose not work anyways...) thx I think I might go with 2x1GB stick of fastest my mobo can handle. Thanks for the info been a big help I wanted to know the answer to that for a wile

Get 4gb instead. So what if 0.5 of it is wasted? It's so cheap anyway. Programs don't care about ram speed, only amount. 2gb of slow ram will run out just as easily as 2gb of fast ram. There is no point. Having 3gb will have you loose dual channel. So just get 4gb aka 3.5gb, which means you keep dual channel, and you're good.
May 11, 2008 9:34:02 PM

Also dont forget that although your apps wont be able to see more than 3 gigs, the OS and its drivers can, so go spend $35 dollars and get another 2 gigs =]
May 11, 2008 10:18:47 PM

dagger said:
Get 4gb instead. So what if 0.5 of it is wasted? It's so cheap anyway. Programs don't care about ram speed, only amount. 2gb of slow ram will run out just as easily as 2gb of fast ram. There is no point. Having 3gb will have you loose dual channel. So just get 4gb aka 3.5gb, which means you keep dual channel, and you're good.


thx :) 
May 11, 2008 10:19:16 PM

u could put in 2x1gb and 2x512mb that would give you dual channel i think
May 11, 2008 10:21:48 PM

jdh440 said:
u could put in 2x1gb and 2x512mb that would give you dual channel i think



It can give a new set of problems, like difference in timing and fill rate. Besides, some non-Intel chipsets do not support it. Best to go for 4gb of identical ram.
May 11, 2008 10:23:52 PM

dagger said:
It can give a new set of problems, like difference in timing and fill rate. Besides, some non-Intel chipsets do not support it. Best to go for 4gb of identical ram.


thx you guys been allot help :) 
!